Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 524337

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.04%
No 323 62.96%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 5th, 2010, 00:44   #121
dodgyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattyandersonp View Post
Use sythentic if you like it shouldn't void your warranty. The only difference between sythentic and
I believe we need to use a low-ash oil. Not just any synthetic oil unfortunately.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 02:06   #122
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyblue View Post
I believe we need to use a low-ash oil. Not just any synthetic oil unfortunately.
Isn't synthetic oil a low ash oil?
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 09:57   #123
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattyandersonp View Post
...The only difference between sythentic and conventional (other than the fact one is man made) sythetics are usually of higher quality than conventional...
The other rather important difference is the effect it can have on the seals within the engine. Certain materials are damaged by conventional oil and vice versa.

You MUST use oil specified by the manufacturer, or the exact equivelent, otherwise you risk damage to the engine.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:40   #124
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
The other rather important difference is the effect it can have on the seals within the engine. Certain materials are damaged by conventional oil and vice versa.

You MUST use oil specified by the manufacturer, or the exact equivelent, otherwise you risk damage to the engine.
I seem to remember Citroen were suggesting that you had to use the oil they specified or you would invalidate the warranty. Not sure how far they got with there legistlation it was a few years ago.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 15:14   #125
XC60 N Yorks

Smile

As promised last month, I monitored the oil level on my XC60 during my travelling holiday through France/Spain (2,400 miles in 10 days). Engine oil remained constant throughout. Guess it’s a NO for me on the Poll.

I am happy to confirm that the XC60 is indeed the best Touring Car I have ever driven around Europe, a real pleasure. I am already planning my next adventure.

For those that remember my last post, even though the SATNAV highlighted every Volvo Garage on my route, I didn’t need them to fill the windscreen washer bottle or check the Tyre pressure. (but I have it booked in for later this month)
XC60 N Yorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC60 N Yorks For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 10:23   #126
snowy1

Picked up my second hand xc60 last Tuesday having had a Skoda for 3 years with no problems at all. On Thursday the 'engine service required' light comes on and low and behold once wired up at the local Volvo service centre (who by the way were fantastic - best customer service I've had with a car for many years -petersfield ind.estate) oil too high warning displayed. Having drained best part of 1.5 litres of oil out and completed 3 recalls including the software drop for this problem am hoping thats my many happy years as a volvo owner started. Bit ****ed off that despite the car sitting at the dealer I got it off for 3 months the recalls hadn't been done but hey no-ones perfect!
snowy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:55   #127
XC60KEV
Master Member

It is annoying when you think they could have done the recall for you before you picked up the car but at least you know they have now been done.

As posted previously the day I had my new xc60 elivered the turbo hoses blew off and had variety of warning lights and messages appear after only 20 miles. It did take the edge off that getting a new car feeling but now know its sorted there have been no issues since and have complete confidence in the car and the friendly dealer (who didnt supply the car) but did repair it.

Hopefully many miles of pain free and happy motoring lies ahead.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:19   #128
ZERO-TO-XC60

I took mine in a month ago for the warning of oil too high. They drained some oil out saying it was at max anyway which they say it shouldnt have been.
It has now been in yesterday for first year service and the oil level now reads half way where as before the service, it was at full ?
Fingers crossed for the future !!!
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 09:23   #129
XC60Monkey

Default Another ECM upgrade

Just had a letter from Volvo today informing me of another safety recall campaign related to rising oil levels. They acknowledge that the car has problems with current diesel blends with the upgrade designed for 'an improved adaption to blends of bio-diesel'. My car has been ok on Shell V Power for a few months so I'll get the upgrade done (this will by my third upgrade to address the problem), but I don't hold out much hope. Info is also on the VOSA website for those interested.
XC60Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 11:20   #130
Sinke

As I have figure out how to check oil level it showed ok on the higher bar but before the weekend trip I got this mess. and freaked out, call the dealer and they say it is normal, have a appointment tomorrow for oil change will also ask if this goes to the recall back for oil raising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0111.jpg (169.9 KB, 60 views)
Sinke is offline   Reply With Quote