Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

Views : 45483

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:35   #1
XC60Owner

Default XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

When I go over 85 mph I get an annoying whistling sound which I think is caused by wind on the wing mirror over the passenger side. But I don't get it from the driver's side. That side of the car was resprayed and maybe the wing mirror was removed but I don't know. But it is all solidily in place and nothing looks wrong at all. So then I thought maybe the windscreen wipers have some affect on that side, but noise always there even when they are moving. It could perhaps be coming from the passengher air vent behind the dash (hard to work out exactly where) so I shut off the air intake but noise still there.

I can't work out if this has always been there or if something has happened when the car was in the garage, I've had the bonnet up and everything - it all looks fine.

Does anyone else get a wind-whistling sound from just the left wing mirror at high speed?
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:45   #2
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
When I go over 85 mph I get an annoying whistling sound which I think is caused by wind on the wing mirror over the passenger side. But I don't get it from the driver's side. That side of the car was resprayed and maybe the wing mirror was removed but I don't know. But it is all solidily in place and nothing looks wrong at all. So then I thought maybe the windscreen wipers have some affect on that side, but noise always there even when they are moving. It could perhaps be coming from the passengher air vent behind the dash (hard to work out exactly where) so I shut off the air intake but noise still there.

I can't work out if this has always been there or if something has happened when the car was in the garage, I've had the bonnet up and everything - it all looks fine.

Does anyone else get a wind-whistling sound from just the left wing mirror at high speed?
With the wipers in use, I get a whistling noise from the drivers wiper, when driving in strong, cross winds (left to right).

Confused me at first, as this did not happen with the two XC90's that I owned.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 12:10   #3
JackRussel

Quote:
Never noticed it.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 13:19   #4
XC60Owner

I think I would have noticed it before, which makes me think the garage has done something. But who knows what? It all looks tight and well fitted. Any ideas what to look for?
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 14:46   #5
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Maybe the wing mirror just need tightning up a bit. Open door and see if you can get off the panel cover. If ok, see if anything needs adjustment.

It could also be something stuck on the outside of the mirror housing. Perhaps it just simply needs a coat of wax (I am not kidding, wax makes it slippery in the wind and may actually help - it did for me a few years ago!).

If still there, bring it to Volvo to have a look at.....
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 17:48   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Did you ever get to the root of this issue? I found yesterday that when I was travelling at about the same speed as you suggest and I opened the driver window for a second the whistling was incredible - I have looked around and cannot see what might be causing it

Would love to know how your noise was cured

Iain
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:13   #7
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Did you ever get to the root of this issue? I found yesterday that when I was travelling at about the same speed as you suggest and I opened the driver window for a second the whistling was incredible - I have looked around and cannot see what might be causing it

Would love to know how your noise was cured

Iain
Hmmmm, that's interesting. Mine is on the passenger side not the driver's and audible when window is closed.

Can you hear anything with you window up? Putting the window down on mine at 85mph is very loud indeed but a roar of wind as opposed to a whilstle.

Unfortunately I live in london so don't get many opportunities to do 85mph. I did tape up the window seals as a test but whistling still there. Am going to go overboard with some masking tape and tape up the whole front side (and wing mirror) when next on motorway, if the noise is still there after that then I guess it may just be the profile of the car!

I've been working on the assumption that the garage have not put something back properly or something is loose but I'm not confident I am going to be able to find out what. I may have to live with it as I dread the thought of going back to the dealer after the last disaster with them.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 12:16   #8
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
When I go over 85 mph
I presume you mean on a private road or track, or some stretches of Germany's autobahn network?
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 13:17   #9
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
I presume you mean on a private road or track, or some stretches of Germany's autobahn network?
Of course!
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 06:12   #10
andy.cass
Kendo

I've only had my XC60 a couple of days and have noticed the whistle at speeds above 50mph from the drivers side only. It's worse in high cross winds and suggests a leak in either the windscreen sealant or in the way the door seals to the body. The buffeting wind noise on the outside is a product of the mirror design. I will leave to see how this develops and mention to the dealer at my 3k check. Otherwise, great car.

11.5My XC60 D5 SE Lux Premium, Geartronic, Savile Grey, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Prem Audio with Sub, tow bar.
10MY 2009 XC60 D5 SE Lux Auto
2008 Mini Cooper
andy.cass is offline   Reply With Quote