Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Holiday

Views : 1222

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2022, 19:19   #1
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default 940 Holiday

Just back from our holiday down to Cornwall from here in Suffolk, and I am very very pleased, and somewhat relieved that she made it👍👍👍

Many thanks for all the help on my trials in getting a basic service sorted, new plugs, HT leads, dizzy cap etc. They were definitely worth it, she ran like a dream and now has around 1100 more miles under her wheels.

I must say, I was sort of dreading the trip as I had just brushed off the better halfs 'will the car be OK?' questions before we left, deep down I was wondering exactly the same thing, as I've only owned her for around 9 months or so, and only done 5k miles since May'17 with only 400 or so in the last year prior to me getting her.

Overall mpg of 26.4 rather expensive in light of recent price increases, but realistically she was loaded the the gunnels with camping gear, 2 hounds, and with a massive 510 lt roof box on top. Oh, also had to remove the back seat bases to free up additional space😀

The issue I recently had of occasional slight hesitation and revs fluctuating 2 - 2.5k, seemed to have been remedied by the plugs/lead change as no return whilst we were away, although I did run her on E5 rather than E10 as suggested, so will have to see if it returns when running on E10 only.

Oh what I would have given for a 2.3 rather than asthmatic 2.0 Turbo, the long hills over the A30 certainly had her earning her keep gradually losing momentum presumably due to the weight being carried. However here in Suffolk not that many hills so no reason to consider changing her.

My copious spares and tools taken remained untouched thankfully, although I did have a rather worrying couple of days!! I checked the oil level the day after arriving and only midway on the dipstick, it was full prior to setting off as I'd done a oil change a week or so before.

Couple of days of checking oil every day before leaving and returning to campsite, and no change, how mysterious??

Schoolboy error😀 On the campsite, the car was parked on a slope with the offside lower than nearside, so when checked on level ground the oil was back to the original full level👍👍

Few things I need to address:

Brakes, need to pull my finger out and finally get round to refurbing front and rears, as on some of the steep descents, a feint pulsing could be felt through the pedal, new discs in shed, and with Luke's used calipers and rebuild kits, these should hopefully bring smoother stopping.

On return journey home, it may have been my paranoia, but every time setting off from rest at roundabouts (and there are a few around Milton Keynes) it sounded like the nearside rear wheel was running over very thin rumble strips to around 10 mph?? My mind was immediately envisaging a diff about to explode due to lack of oil, Ahem, no, I'm afraid that was a check that eluded me prior to the trip, I hang my head in shame😀 or perhaps nearside rear wheel bearing?? Will need to take her out and see if the noise is still with me on local roads, or if it was me just being ultra pessimistic...

Looking forward to cracking on with my list of jobs to do....

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve 940; Jun 16th, 2022 at 19:25.
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 19:44   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

Well done!!

In my experience these cars rarely leave you stranded. They can run long distances even with chronic faults. My record was ten years and 100k miles with a duff in-tank fuel lift pump. My only ever AA recovery in twenty-three years of driving 900 series Volvos was an undiagnosed head gasket failure which became critical about seventy miles from home. Much less and I'd have probably risked the journey with frequent water stops.

940 brakes benefit from regular maintenance. I have only just started getting into doing this myself and it seems relatively easy so far. Aside from the usual wear items the slide pins sticking is a common fault. Some people recommend cleaning and greasing them (with silicone brake grease) annually. It certainly pays to catch them before they get too stuck. I had to get one out recently by twisting with grips and then driving it out with a cold chisel and lump hammer. They should slide very easily.

The rear brakes sticking can cause vibrations at the front too.

Is your 2.0 turbo the HPT model with a turbo gauge in the rev counter? If so, it should actually be more powerful at 155bhp than the more common 2.3 LPT models which are 135bhp. The 2.3 HPT only gives you another 10bhp over the 2.0 turbo.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 19:47   #3
Moomoo
VOC Member

Super news Steve. Doesn’t the uncertainty put adventure back into motoring?

A real achievement, when you have input into it all.

I’ve just done 650 miles from Ashbourne to Devon, touring in my two litre diesel Mini. All I did was check the oil . Where’s the achievement in that?

VOC at Stratford in the old boy on the 26th will be the test.

Well done you!👍
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 20:01   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Glad you made it there and back safely Steve and had a great holiday.

A true testament to the build quality of these proper old Volvo's, I doubt many new cars will be as reliable at 30 years old!

If you need more power then fit a manual boost controller and set it to about 10psi and you will have about 170is hp. The 2.3 turbo only has the 10hp extra but it has about 30Nm of torque extra which is why they do better up hills.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 20:11   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Pleased that all went well for you Steve. Camping in Cornwall, I’m really jealous.
I suggest that you bite the bullet price wise and stick with E5. I’ve stuck to E5 since the E10 was introduced.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 20:17   #6
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Well done!!

In my experience these cars rarely leave you stranded. They can run long distances even with chronic faults. My record was ten years and 100k miles with a duff in-tank fuel lift pump. My only ever AA recovery in twenty-three years of driving 900 series Volvos was an undiagnosed head gasket failure which became critical about seventy miles from home. Much less and I'd have probably risked the journey with frequent water stops.

940 brakes benefit from regular maintenance. I have only just started getting into doing this myself and it seems relatively easy so far. Aside from the usual wear items the slide pins sticking is a common fault. Some people recommend cleaning and greasing them (with silicone brake grease) annually. It certainly pays to catch them before they get too stuck. I had to get one out recently by twisting with grips and then driving it out with a cold chisel and lump hammer. They should slide very easily.

The rear brakes sticking can cause vibrations at the front too.

Is your 2.0 turbo the HPT model with a turbo gauge in the rev counter? If so, it should actually be more powerful at 155bhp than the more common 2.3 LPT models which are 135bhp. The 2.3 HPT only gives you another 10bhp over the 2.0 turbo.
Hi Forrest,

Many thanks, and yes mine does have the boost gauge in the rev counter, point duly noted as I'd been assuming it was LPT....

Will hope that I can endeavour to meet your reliability record, my last '56 Audi Allroad with all the electrical extras ended up on flat bed recovery 3 times in around 12 years of owning. One of the drivers behind me stumbling into life with a 28 yr old 940😀

From all I have gathered on here, servicing and addressing issues when identified will pay dividends, and intend to do so hopefully over coming years.

Look forward to getting into Luke's good used calipers and rebuild fronts and rears, so hopefully will resolve the issue before long.

Trouble is, I have pair of used front struts to rebuild and was going to do brakes at the same time, new back plates, hoses, discs pads etc. Just need to fast forwArd this project.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 20:20   #7
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Super news Steve. Doesn’t the uncertainty put adventure back into motoring?

A real achievement, when you have input into it all.

I’ve just done 650 miles from Ashbourne to Devon, touring in my two litre diesel Mini. All I did was check the oil . Where’s the achievement in that?

VOC at Stratford in the old boy on the 26th will be the test.

Well done you!👍
Cheers Moomoo,

Certainly does make the journey more interesting, adventures await on every journey😀

Good luck with Stratford trip👍

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 20:25   #8
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Glad you made it there and back safely Steve and had a great holiday.

A true testament to the build quality of these proper old Volvo's, I doubt many new cars will be as reliable at 30 years old!

If you need more power then fit a manual boost controller and set it to about 10psi and you will have about 170is hp. The 2.3 turbo only has the 10hp extra but it has about 30Nm of torque extra which is why they do better up hills.
Cheers Luke,

Think I'll steer clear of the tuning rabbit hole, as I know I'd just get carried away, as now over 55 I'm just happy with the old girl as she is, and getting her to work as intended.

I did recall your post on my servicing problems thread suggesting PCV is probably my next port of call, and I did quickly look in that area, and it has oil / dirt deposits, so will be my next priority. More reading on this issue on this forum needed.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 20:31   #9
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Pleased that all went well for you Steve. Camping in Cornwall, I’m really jealous.
I suggest that you bite the bullet price wise and stick with E5. I’ve stuck to E5 since the E10 was introduced.
Hi Ian,

Many thanks, and I recall our good Laird Scooby and probably some others have suggested that overall you get better mpg using E5 than E10 that compensates for extra per litre.

Will need to make a note to do a couple of tankfulls as a comparison to see how they stack up on my car.

Yes Cornwall certainly has a lot to like, especially in the great weather..... looking forward to returning as soon as possible.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 22:23   #10
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Ian,

Many thanks, and I recall our good Laird Scooby and probably some others have suggested that overall you get better mpg using E5 than E10 that compensates for extra per litre.

Will need to make a note to do a couple of tankfulls as a comparison to see how they stack up on my car.

Yes Cornwall certainly has a lot to like, especially in the great weather..... looking forward to returning as soon as possible.

Cheers
Steve
I have a book full of my petrol purchases and relevant odometer readings since I bought the car in 2005 up to the present. I used to religiously calculate my mpg but have not done so recently. As I have only put a couple of tanks worth of E10 in I won’t have much of a comparison.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: