Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 859462

Replies : 6367

Users Viewing This Thread : Laird Scooby, Moomoo, Othen

Old Jun 21st, 2023, 17:54   #5221
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default 145 Tale Of Woe.....

Well that's been a rather informative day, albeit disappointing, but a lesson learned.....

Down to Poole last night with beavertail van, in readiness to pick up the blue 145 that BB posted that was on FB. Thought I would swing by where it was being kept to check route etc.

Cursory look around in the dusk, hopefully without looking too shifty all looked OK as expected, apart from grille having a few more dents than photo appeared, and 2 flat tyres that would complicate loading a bit, but no drama.

Text sent to vendor as we had indicated a first thing pick up around 8am, then he asked for 9am due to family emergency.... first alarm bell should have rung, but life/stuff does happen.

Anyway got there around 8:45 this morning, other guys in bodyshop said he was due in at some point.

With time to waste, I was looking closer & closer at the car, and every time I looked, more giant warning signals were screaming walk away. Too many problems to cover here, but the whole car had obviously been there for a few years, as a large green patch on the tarmac, windows left open........

Anyway, time got to 9:30 and still no contact, so I had to decide..... In the end, I swallowed my pride and had to admit to myself that it was not the ideal vehicle for me to start restoring as a first attempt.

Lessons learned, as whilst my time was not an issue, I still had lost deposit, hotel, van hire and diesel.

Only upside, was that Alan had posted about a 240 windscreen trim he had going spare and for free with clips, as these may fit the 140, I'd arranged to pick it up on my way back this afternoon. Bugger now, is I have a nice screen trim set, but no car

Oh well, quest continues??

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 17:57   #5222
Moomoo
VOC Member

Sorry Steve , I followed your post error!🤨
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 18:17   #5223
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That's a bummer Steve, sorry to hear that!

On the upside, his "family emergency" gave you more time to look the car over and discover it waas a basket case, better than getting it home and then discovering that!

I'm sure something better will come along - don't forget that everything happens for a reason, even if you can't see it yet. Look on it as not only a learning curve about possibly dodgy sellers and a familiarisation of the beavertail ready for next time!

You also have a nice screen trim set, first part down - now how did that Cadillac song go again?

https://youtu.be/HNU9nNY-v0g

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 18:39   #5224
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's a bummer Steve, sorry to hear that!

On the upside, his "family emergency" gave you more time to look the car over and discover it waas a basket case, better than getting it home and then discovering that!

I'm sure something better will come along - don't forget that everything happens for a reason, even if you can't see it yet. Look on it as not only a learning curve about possibly dodgy sellers and a familiarisation of the beavertail ready for next time!

You also have a nice screen trim set, first part down - now how did that Cadillac song go again?

https://youtu.be/HNU9nNY-v0g
Hi Dave,

Many thanks, wise words, and yes I think after the long drive back, mulling this escapade over, I have dodged a major pain in the A**.

Need to curb my enthusiasm

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 18:47   #5225
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Sorry Steve , I followed your post error!🤨
Cheers Andrew,

Well I probably just need to stop looking so hard, concentrate on my workshop build, and a good one might just crop up a bit more locally, (oh if only...)

Goo point about an area 'viewer' however, one persons view of a car could be very different from another's.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 18:51   #5226
Moomoo
VOC Member

I can become obsessively blinkered!

Sometimes a step back is a good idea, not always easy.

Churchill said something about the further back you stand, the further forward you can see!🧐
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 19:12   #5227
ITSv40
VOC Member

Yes indeed, it does sound like you dodged a bullet.

I just don't understand the psychology of some sellers. Here we have a person who you would think is keen to sell - a buyer who is seriously keen, travelled a 100+ miles? With a beaver tail ready to complete the deal and the seller cannot be a*sed to turn up to complete the sale.

Unfortunately we have all been there. When I was looking to buy the Rolls I answered an ad in Exchange and Mart - shows how long ago it was - car advertised as immaculate with history etc based in North London. Had conversation with the seller and all sounded good and arranged to go to view. Arrived to a semi in Wembley and was shown to the rear garden. At the bottom were four scap cars - the seller announces, 'there they are, take your pick'. I responded by saying there must be some mistake as I had come to see the immaculate one. He responded by saying they will all be immaculate when
restored. Needless to say I made my excuses and left and had a miserable drive home on the M1.

Edit: Regarding the screen surround that will fit 1971 onwards as the screens were bonded and the trim clips in around the glass flush with the bodywork. Pre 1970 the screen has a rubber seal with a decorative trim set into the seal. the whole screen is fitted by the traditional method of a 'fairy liquid' lubed string. The seal stands proud of the bodywork.

Last edited by ITSv40; Jun 21st, 2023 at 19:27.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 19:28   #5228
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Sh*t, sorry Steve. That's two buckets of rust I've thrown at you now...
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 19:35   #5229
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Yes indeed, it does sound like you dodged a bullet.

I just don't understand the psychology of some sellers. Here we have a person who you would think is keen to sell - a buyer who is seriously keen, travelled a 100+ miles? With a beaver tail ready to complete the deal and the seller cannot be a*sed to turn up to complete the sale.

Unfortunately we have all been there. When I was looking to buy the Rolls I answered an ad in Exchange and Mart - shows how long ago it was - car advertised as immaculate with history etc based in North London. Had conversation with the seller and all sounded good and arranged to go to view. Arrived to a semi in Wembley and was shown to the rear garden. At the bottom were four scap cars - the seller announces, 'there they are, take your pick'. I responded by saying there must be some mistake as I had come to see the immaculate one. He responded by saying they will all be immaculate when
restored. Needless to say I made my excuses and left and had a miserable drive home on the M1.

Edit: Regarding the screen surround that will fit 1971 onwards as the screens were bonded and the trim clips in around the glass flush with the bodywork. Pre 1970 the screen has a rubber seal with a decorative trim set into the seal. the whole screen is fitted by the traditional method of a 'fairy liquid' lubed string. The seal stands proud of the bodywork.
Many thanks ITSv40, and your recollection of the E&M at least made me chuckle. The joys of buying used motors pre t'internet.... postcard in newsagents window etc etc.

Many thanks regarding the clip info, most helpful.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 20:09   #5230
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Sh*t, sorry Steve. That's two buckets of rust I've thrown at you now...
Ha Ha, nicely put, but there's only one muppet to blame for being so single minded (dumb), although the FB link is quite handy as yet another place where I can waste my time 'just looking' and then find that the whole morning has disappeared

I did try to 'join' the 140/164 group, but request gets rejected by administrators because I haven't got a photo thingy on my profile.... is that really 'a thing' ????

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: