Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning , S40/V40 4 cylinder petrol owners.

Views : 261149

Replies : 195

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2010, 18:04   #71
The Improver

This might help with the 4 "crimped" or swaged tabs.

The Improver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 21:40   #72
Andy B T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoman48 View Post
i own a '98 T4 so guess this applies to me. Can the clips be replaced without having to drop the coolant?
Hi, there's no way around it I'm affraid some coolant will be lost as you have to detach the bottom hose from the rad.
Andy B T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 21:55   #73
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B T5 View Post
Hi, there's no way around it I'm affraid some coolant will be lost as you have to detach the bottom hose from the rad.
For future readers: Not true! As I think someone says above, you can just open the new clip right up and fit it on with the hose in place.

Now, if you are all alone and under the car and sawing off the old clip because it is too corroded to undo with a screwdriver and you suddenly realise as you finally cut through the last bit of the old clip that you have forgotten to de-pressurise the system by undoing the cap on the expansion tank... then you are probably, I fear, going to lose some coolant. But you don't have to be hopeless like... er, me.

(Actually by some miracle the hose stayed on for the few vital seconds as I got out from under there and undid the cap. Don't recommend it though.)
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 00:10   #74
The Improver

I'm with DWM on this, as long as there's no PRESSURE in the system, by removing the expansion tank cap and you've got the NEW clamp opened up and over the hose ready and waiting to go. Do it from cold, the safest way.

When I did mine, I found the hoses were "stuck" on the fittings.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 00:41   #75
christopher.shaw6

Thumbs up Warning Message.

Thanks for the heads up on this one!!!! Just replaced all lower clips and anti freeze, hopefully should survive weather forecast for next couple of weeks.
christopher.shaw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 16:41   #76
deckrat1

Default S40 Lower Rad Hose

Had exactly same problem but caught it in time,the hose clip was rusted out just as you said
S40 51 Reg

deckrat1
deckrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 08:39   #77
motormadfrosty

Is there any chance that some body can do a step by step guide for this?

I have had a good look and can only just see the clip (with a torch), I've got no chance off getting my hand on it.

Do I need to get the car jacked up and remove the plastic tray underneath?
motormadfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 18:05   #78
The Improver

Looks like I've picked the wrong format for the photos, I'll sort it! Got there in the end

This is the best I can do I'm afraid, the photos may not be relative to the 4 hose clamps that really need removal and replacement. The 3 photos which I've attempted use to indicate the bottom radiator hose show a hole thro' the plastic under tray. The hole provides reasonable access to the clamp.

Unfortunately the hose which goes from the btm. rad. is difficult to get a shot of in the hours of darkness. It's a question of following it to the back of the engine block... at least on the petrol version!

Last edited by The Improver; Dec 15th, 2010 at 18:46. Reason: Trying to get to the photos
The Following User Says Thank You to The Improver For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 20:51   #79
motormadfrosty

This is royally ****ing me off now! Got my frigging arm stuck in the engine bay today..... surely there has got to be an easier way to access this frigging clip.
motormadfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:44   #80
4 forty
VOC Member

Default undertray

if you remove the plastic engine undertray you will have plenty of room to gain access to it.
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4 forty For This Useful Post: