Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shock absorber replacement recommendations 2009 D5 AWD

Views : 4074

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2020, 17:26   #21
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes80 View Post
lets try now
Good job p.m. received and replayed to.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 01:43   #22
Auto Addict

Default New REAR Bilstein B4 shocks on XC60 D5 AWD

So after all this suspension talk I've started accumulating a bunch of parts to refresh the rear suspension of my XC60 as I noticed both rear shocks were the original (to the car) yellow label OEM Sachs ones and the nearside rear was now weeping oil out 11 years and 149K miles have taken their toll and sure enough after removal both rear shocks they were finished without any rebound whats ever. Basically my XC60 was ridding along predominantly on it's coil springs with little to no assistance from the rear shocks. I decided to go with the slightly uprated Bilstein B4 over the stock Sachs along with brand new LEMFORDER top mounts and MEYLE HD drop links. This is a fairly straight forward job to do if you're handy with spanners and have a decent jack or two Pix below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3265.jpg (257.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3145.jpg (390.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3260.jpg (312.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3267.jpg (331.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3269.jpg (184.3 KB, 20 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
The Following User Says Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 01:54   #23
Auto Addict

Default New REAR Bilstein B4 shocks on XC60 D5 AWD

Few more pix The difference after is "Night & Day"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3160.jpg (285.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3258.jpg (364.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3279.jpg (339.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3285.jpg (363.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3273.jpg (338.1 KB, 27 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 10:55   #24
moes80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Addict View Post
So after all this suspension talk I've started accumulating a bunch of parts to refresh the rear suspension of my XC60 as I noticed both rear shocks were the original (to the car) yellow label OEM Sachs ones and the nearside rear was now weeping oil out 11 years and 149K miles have taken their toll and sure enough after removal both rear shocks they were finished without any rebound whats ever. Basically my XC60 was ridding along predominantly on it's coil springs with little to no assistance from the rear shocks. I decided to go with the slightly uprated Bilstein B4 over the stock Sachs along with brand new LEMFORDER top mounts and MEYLE HD drop links. This is a fairly straight forward job to do if you're handy with spanners and have a decent jack or two Pix below.
Nice one....I replaced the front and back drop links as well used Meyle HD, did not do the top mounts. I tried to do the anti roll bad bushes using genuine volvo replacements, managed to do the rear but got really stuck with the front so left them.
I also found that my old shocks and struts were the original ones (2011 with 160k) and were very easy to compress and took forever to extend....very happy with results. I was a little concerned the harder suspension would become too harsh as I have 20" wheels with low profile tyres..but I love it not harsh at all

STILL waiting for new bits to arrive so I can finish off the ERG, egr cooler, throttle body, radiator, intercooler, pressure switches overhaul. After this I will let it be and get some sleep
moes80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moes80 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 19:09   #25
Auto Addict

Quote:
Nice one....I replaced the front and back drop links as well used Meyle HD, did not do the top mounts. I tried to do the anti roll bad bushes using genuine volvo replacements, managed to do the rear but got really stuck with the front so left them.
I also found that my old shocks and struts were the original ones (2011 with 160k) and were very easy to compress and took forever to extend....very happy with results. I was a little concerned the harder suspension would become too harsh as I have 20" wheels with low profile tyres..but I love it not harsh at all

STILL waiting for new bits to arrive so I can finish off the ERG, egr cooler, throttle body, radiator, intercooler, pressure switches overhaul. After this I will let it be and get some sleep
Thanks mate Two day now and my old rear shocks are still in the down position refusing to extend flat as a pancake. RIP I think I'll have to do the front shocks next
I also had a poke around my throttle body and EGR valve area few days ago and to my surprise it wasn't as horrific as I thought it might be I have a suspicion it's been cleaned before so big THANX for the previous owner for that Cleaned it again as I was already quite involved. Pix before & after below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3186.jpg (219.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3187.jpg (217.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3204.jpg (186.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3208.jpg (221.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3218.jpg (283.9 KB, 26 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 12:27   #26
Montana
Master Member

nice work on the EGR, tough job?

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 12:47   #27
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
nice work on the EGR, tough job?
Thanks No, not really ... on the XC60 and most likely on your XC70 as well you'll have to remove the entire Air box assembly out of the way along with the Air Mass sensor and associated plastic tubing as well as the EGR to lower inlet manifold pipe work.
The throttle body is held with just 4 bolts and once unplugged and out of the way you have fairly decent access from both sides of the EGR valve while it's still bolted to the engine block. This also makes cleaning the throttle body a doddle. My advise to minimise an almighty mess is to get yourself a large old towel you don't particularly care for and lay it under the EGR valve to catch the bit of carbon that will fall out of it as you're cleaning it.
This is a great little video: https://youtu.be/G67pUI5vMrc with the second half of it clearly showing you the whole procedure.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 12:05   #28
moes80

Quote:
Thanks mate Two day now and my old rear shocks are still in the down position refusing to extend flat as a pancake. RIP I think I'll have to do the front shocks next
I also had a poke around my throttle body and EGR valve area few days ago and to my surprise it wasn't as horrific as I thought it might be I have a suspicion it's been cleaned before so big THANX for the previous owner for that Cleaned it again as I was already quite involved. Pix before & after below.
The most difficult pat of the front struts is removing the strut from the vise like clamp at the bottom, you got to remember that clamp has been in place for 100k+ miles..a lot of patience is required.
My EGR valve and throttle body was about the same, the EGR cooler was clogged up, what really shocked me was the amount of crap in the large pipe connecting the EGR valve to the inlet manifold OMG . When I did some research on this I remember reading a post by someone which read " well, that's what happens when you feed the engine it's own sh!t " lol kind of obvious when you think about it. I did think about taking the inlet manifold off and tracing this gunk all the way through the engine to eradicate it but then looked into the cost of new parts and held myself back . Taking the inlet manifold off will mean removing the HP fuel lines...no no no too expensive. SO instead i took the MAP off and gave that a good clean, found that was broken so new MAP.....and stop !
Considering you left the EGR in the car that is a good job. Other then a large towel and elbow grease what chemical did you use to clean the carbon off?
The fact that i took it all off the engine I ended up sitting in the garden with plenty of rags, plenty of clean water, buckets to catch the dirt, and a few cans of mr muscle oven cleaner. Unbelievable how that eats through the carbon, obviously did not leave it on for more then 10 minutes and made sure it was all washed off...but unbelievable
moes80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moes80 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 00:53   #29
Auto Addict

Quote:
The most difficult pat of the front struts is removing the strut from the vise like clamp at the bottom, you got to remember that clamp has been in place for 100k+ miles..a lot of patience is required.
I've been here before on numerous VAG & BMW cars in the past... I find a wire brush, liberal amounts of "Plus-Gas" dismantling spray, HD cold chisel and a good size club hammer usually does the trick if that fails I get bigger club hammer

Quote:
My EGR valve and throttle body was about the same, the EGR cooler was clogged up, what really shocked me was the amount of crap in the large pipe connecting the EGR valve to the inlet manifold OMG . When I did some research on this I remember reading a post by someone which read " well, that's what happens when you feed the engine it's own sh!t " lol kind of obvious when you think about it. I did think about taking the inlet manifold off and tracing this gunk all the way through the engine to eradicate it but then looked into the cost of new parts and held myself back . Taking the inlet manifold off will mean removing the HP fuel lines...no no no too expensive. SO instead i took the MAP off and gave that a good clean, found that was broken so new MAP.....and stop !
Considering you left the EGR in the car that is a good job. Other then a large towel and elbow grease what chemical did you use to clean the carbon off?
Pic below of my cleaning tool kit (yes... that is disposable plastic cutlery and an old tooth brush which work really well ) + numerous soft rugs (old microfibre cloth is good) and a tin of Wynns Professional formula Brake & clutch cleaner was all I used

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes View Post
The fact that i took it all off the engine I ended up sitting in the garden with plenty of rags, plenty of clean water, buckets to catch the dirt, and a few cans of mr muscle oven cleaner. Unbelievable how that eats through the carbon, obviously did not leave it on for more then 10 minutes and made sure it was all washed off...but unbelievable
Good shout about Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner I may tray that next time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3194.jpg (244.9 KB, 8 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG

Last edited by Auto Addict; Jun 7th, 2020 at 00:57.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 09:01   #30
XC70Virgin

Quote:
Hi Auto Addict. Very useful photos as we've an 09 XC60 D5 as well. Would you mind showing or confirming the part number of the Meyle links? I can read the Billys and Lemforder ones OK.