Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VIDA/DICE Cracked - FINALLY!!!!

Views : 69412

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2020, 13:51   #51
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampy View Post
The link says private and is unavailable? Have you taken it down Thanks.
It's still available along with all my Vida videos to anyone who buys a Dice or laptop from me.
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:59   #52
malc44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
A couple of weeks ago the car suffered a spurious DIM fault which left me with a SRS alarm standing. Unsure of what faults may be laying in wait and in order to clear the SRS alarm, I ordered a VIDA/DICE unit from EBAY.

I know that VIDA/DICE is a big issue on the forum and has been covered many times, but I wanted to put down my experience while it is still fresh in my mind, and that it may help any out there who are struggling or are wondering whether to get a unit or not.

Once I got the VIDA/DICE unit I set about looking at the numerous posts that had been put on various forums, and I realised immediately that this was not going to be as easy as most software / hardware you buy off the shelves. However. my first challenge was to find a laptop with Win 7 professional on it. Luckily my son had a large desktop / laptop with it on and he let me do a fresh install and update. I then followed a YOUTUBE video for installation. (No instructions came with the device at all).

Following along, I got VIDA 2014D installed OK. I then rushed out to my car to try it out. When I plugged the DICE into the computer it searched for the drivers and eventually recognized the device. I then started VIDA, but it would not see the DICE unit. Just a box with a Red X in it.

OK so back to the forums to see what people did about that. I must have tried innumerable combinations of things and I was about to give up. As a last ditch effort I dug out an old Toshiba Laptop I had. This only had Vista Home Premium on it, but it was a 250GB drive, 4GB of RAM and an Intel Core DUO processor (P8600) which was way below the spec of my sons laptop, but adequate for VIDA. I searched on the WEB for the cheapest WIN 7 professional license I could buy and got one from Software GEEKS for £19.

I loaded the 32 BIT version as this is all the laptop could cope with. Followed some of the tips I had picked up on the forums, and loaded VIDA back up again. I went out this morning in the pouring rain to try and connect it to the car - hey presto - it worked. I have checked and cleared down the faults, including the SRS alarm. I am a very happy man. So below is the setup I used which worked for me and I hope it helps someone else out there who has been struggling.

1. I purchased a VIDA / DICE unit with the latest 2014D software. The VIDA unit has multicoloured lights on it. I had read on the forums that there were some out there with only Blue Lights and seemed to give problems.
2. Use WIN 7 professional 32 Bit and let windows do a full update (takes ages). You will certainly need to ensure that service pack 1 is installed. When mine was loaded and updated, it only had Internet Explorer 8 on it. I had to download and install IE9. VIDA 2014D would not load with only IE8 in place.
3. Download the latest version of JAVA
4. At this point I created a restore point in windows, so I could revert to this point should I have problems installing VIDA.
5. I then turned off User Account Control (UAC) and disabled the Windows Firewall.
6. Check that the only version of .net that you have is .NET 3.5. I had read that if you are on version 4 VIDA doesn't like it. (You can check the version in the registry editor in Windows)
7. I then loaded VIDA following this Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vel17o0RQW8
8. Once VIDA was proven to work, I then took the laptop out to the car and connected the DICE unit to the OBD2 socket and plugged it into the laptop. Windows searched for the drivers and installed them. When I opened VIDA up, I needed to enter all the car details in the Vehicle Profile section. This time the page also showed my DICE unit in the DICE configuration Box. With the vehicle details entered, the Diagnostics TAB activated and as long as the Ignition is in the II position, it will read all the onboard computers.

Why didn't this work for me the first time I tried it? I think it might be that VIDA / DICE didn't like the 64Bit version of Win7 Pro, although others may have got it working on that platform. I also think I got in a mess with the .net 3.5 vs the .net 4.5.

My thanks to all those on various Forums who have posted up their solutions. Most are for earlier versions of VIDA, and I didn't see many for the 2014D version that I bought.

It has been a long week messing around with this, but I am currently walking on air.

One final tip - while messing around with VIDA on the car the ignition is on. I would put the battery charger on while in this state as the battery soon runs down. I'm currently waiting for it to charge up so I can start the car!!!

Good Luck!!
Hi, done everything as quoted in this thread. connected to car, it found car etc but the diagnostics tab still not highlighted for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
malc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 12:30   #53
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

backdate your .net

but in the future run a virtual machine version then it will never be updated
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 15:33   #54
cjsv70est

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It won't work on 7 Home so if you have a laptop and software is all you need, I bought 7 Pro for £19 from this site.
They send you links to download the operating system and a program to make a bootable DVD or USB stick.
I am trying to send a message to you, but I need 30 posts. (seems a bit of a bind) but rules are rules.
How do I contact you re vida/dice?
Hope this works
cjsv70est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 17:52   #55
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Any Use??
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99800

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 16:29   #56
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsv70est View Post
I am trying to send a message to you, but I need 30 posts. (seems a bit of a bind) but rules are rules.
How do I contact you re vida/dice?
Hope this works
Pm sent. I have various guaranteed working solutions available.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 19:44   #57
Jongregg

Default Information on dice software needed please

I bought a Volvo dice obd reader a couple of years ago on eBay, after a xc90 I’d bought threw up a couple of amber notifications . The unit came with what looked like 2 copies cds. I’ve tried to load it on my laptop but I cant get it to run.
I have a guy who has repaired my computers in the past and he could not get it to run either. He tried it on a laptop with windows pro but told me that a file is missing from the program. Has anyone copies of the cds so I can check the faults with my 2005 xc90. It is now giving red engine service faults . Many thanks for any replies
Jongregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 12:14   #58
peterself

Hi cheshired5! - I'm looking to buy a Dice with 2014D software for my V70 D5 and C70 D5. Could you message me?
Many thanks....Peter
peterself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 12:18   #59
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongregg View Post
I bought a Volvo dice obd reader a couple of years ago on eBay, after a xc90 I’d bought threw up a couple of amber notifications . The unit came with what looked like 2 copies cds. I’ve tried to load it on my laptop but I cant get it to run.
I have a guy who has repaired my computers in the past and he could not get it to run either. He tried it on a laptop with windows pro but told me that a file is missing from the program. Has anyone copies of the cds so I can check the faults with my 2005 xc90. It is now giving red engine service faults . Many thanks for any replies
if you didnt buy it from anyone here they probably cant help with that specific software..

show your friend the info here and he might get somewhere. download links at the bottom

just spitballing here but can you remove the VIDA install but leave the hardware drivers in place?

that link is specific to the VCX but maybe if you have a DICE you might get away with ignoring the hardware stuff and using the VIDA instructions from about halfway down

IIRC correctly mine was throwing up errors about a missing DLL but I didnt get any of that when I used the link above (windows 10)

OR, just bite the bullet and buy one from Cheshired5 with all the support and helpfulness that seems to come with it as part of the deal

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 5th, 2021 at 12:24.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 14:48   #60
Jgionut

Yeah, a little small problem, the youtube video is unavailable.
Jgionut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vida