Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1773107

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 09:42   #11
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Mea culpa.

Having just re-read my previous post I've realised that I referred to the door mirrors as being non-standard. What I meant to write was that the wing mirrors are non-standard - the perils of not paying attention.
However, there shouldn't be any writing on the back face of the mirrors.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 10:56   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A couple of observations - the headlights look like they're from a 264 rather than a 244 and the lamps below the bumper appear to be a mix of fog lights on the outer edges and driving lamps inboard. The driving lamps should have a clearer lens pattern and give a long range beam (and be wired to only come on with full beam) while the fog lamps should have a more diffused lens and spread the beam flat and wide.

For the windscreen trim clips, try a Volvo dealer. They have access to GCP - Genuine Classic Parts and a lot of older parts are held in stock in Sweden. Granted you have to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive but they will be the right things.

As for the "diafram" (guessing at the phonetic spelling!), carry it with you and the right screwdriver to be able to change it. Many moons ago i got stranded by a pinhole in mine, luckily not far from work which wasn't far from a Volvo dealer so i was able to pick one up and fit it in my lunch hour and get mobile again. Inspection of the old one on a light box later revealed a tiny pinhole, only visible when stretched.

Like Loki says, use ATF to top up the dashpot on the carb.

Glad you're working your way through its little foibles and getting them sorted, looks like a nice car!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 11:02   #13
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Having just re-read my previous post I've realised that I referred to the door mirrors as being non-standard. What I meant to write was that the wing mirrors are non-standard - the perils of not paying attention.
However, there shouldn't be any writing on the back face of the mirrors.
Thank you for that - I had rather assumed that to be the case as the door mirrors seem to be an original fitment (the writing will probably come off one day). I’ve seen similar wing mirrors on older 244s, which is probably where a PO got the idea from.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 11:11   #14
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A couple of observations - the headlights look like they're from a 264 rather than a 244 and the lamps below the bumper appear to be a mix of fog lights on the outer edges and driving lamps inboard. The driving lamps should have a clearer lens pattern and give a long range beam (and be wired to only come on with full beam) while the fog lamps should have a more diffused lens and spread the beam flat and wide.

For the windscreen trim clips, try a Volvo dealer. They have access to GCP - Genuine Classic Parts and a lot of older parts are held in stock in Sweden. Granted you have to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive but they will be the right things.

As for the "diafram" (guessing at the phonetic spelling!), carry it with you and the right screwdriver to be able to change it. Many moons ago i got stranded by a pinhole in mine, luckily not far from work which wasn't far from a Volvo dealer so i was able to pick one up and fit it in my lunch hour and get mobile again. Inspection of the old one on a light box later revealed a tiny pinhole, only visible when stretched.

Like Loki says, use ATF to top up the dashpot on the carb.

Glad you're working your way through its little foibles and getting them sorted, looks like a nice car!
Thank you. I suppose it is possible that someone changed the headlights at some time in the past 40 years, but having taken them apart I think that a little unlikely- the adjusters are attached to the chassis and not something that could be swapped easily.

The fog/driving lamps are a bit of a bodge. I suspect the original car had some fog lamps (because there is a proper switch for them - but the lamps aren’t wired to it). All 4 lamps are switched by an after market switch, which seems to be permanent live. I’ll probably keep the lamps, but re-wire them properly to the original Volvo switch so they only come on with the lights.

When I get to the carburettor (a long way down my list because the car runs pretty well at the mo) I’ll probably change the diaphragm, I don’t know whether the PO had a problem with it (and hence got a spare).

Someone suggested I may not be able to fit the chrome windscreen trim because the rubber seal looks wider than standard?

This forum is so useful.

Alan
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 11:54   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Headlights are normally attached to a backplate by means of the adjusters then the backplate bolts into the chassis/inner wing/slam panel area so if necessary, the headlamps can be removed and replaced without having to disturb the alignment. Either that or the headlights and adjusters are all part of one assembly that bolts into the same area.

You can see what i mean on the USA spec headlamp :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/86-87-88-...l/173772869669

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-US-...r/282676937485

Likewise on this European spec headlight.

If i'm right about the inboard pair of lights being driving lights, you can wire them to the existing main beam. If you were being fussy you could add a relay but the existing relay should be more than capable, after all Volvo designed it to cope with an extra pair of driving lamps and just used the same circuitry/relay for all models.

Someone on another thread somewhere on here suggested the diaphragm should be a service item at 24k miles so if you renew it and then order a new one, you shouldn't have any trouble. When you get near to the 24k miles, order another and be ready to replace it.

I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned using Vaseline - a better idea is silicone grease.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006O7HTDE

Not sure if yours has a sunroof but if so, tilt it and rub some into the seal and let it soak in. Wipe off the excess gently, slide the roof panel back and do similar to the front part of the seal.
Aside from that, use it to protect electrical connections (including the battery terminals), on rubber seals (including "O" rings) and wherever you need a waterproof grease.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 12:09   #16
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

The silicone grease is also available from your favorite plumbing merchant and can generally work out cheaper for a larger tub- being a tight Lancashire lad!
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 12:29   #17
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The headlamps and front grille might have come from a 244/245GLE or a 260; the DL and GL at that vintage had 7" square lamps with a wider grille:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olaf_01.jpg (171.6 KB, 14 views)

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 12:53   #18
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

The level of knowledge shown by Stephen, 'loki' and 'L.S.' is indeed legion, 'Othen'. I agree with 'L.S.' regarding the headlights. They changed over the life of the 2-series; our 'N' and 'S' reg had circular ...

I've just had to break off to deal with a wayward 6' x 6' fence panel - bloomin' heck, that's one fierce wind out there!

... ones, our 'V' reg (like yours) had square and our 'X' and 'Y' reg cars rectangular. I'd imagine it would be a fairly straight-forward swap along with the appropriate grille.

The boot spoiler is, I think, a genuine Volvo accessory, listed in their period 'boutique' accessories catalogue. However, I agree with 'loki' that the roof spoiler is a non-standard fitment.

As far as I recall, all 2-series cars, even our very early 'N' reg, had door mirrors (again the design varied by year) as standard. The last Volvo that I had which was fitted with 'wing' mirrors was our 'K' reg 144, the 'L' reg had fixed door mirrors.

As the 2-series matured (they were built from 1975 through to 1992, there was naturally a trend by owners of earlier models to 'update' their cars over time. I think your stripes may also fall into that category - they are highly reminiscent of the ones that were fitted to my '83 245GLT. As you go through your car you will almost certainly find other examples of the presence of Trigger's broom.

I'm pretty sure the bonnet badge is non-standard too, I don't recall any 2-series car fitted with anything similar. My thinking is that a previous owner was so proud of his Volvo that he wanted the world to know about it - the rear mud-flaps are another example.

As others have said, the extra lights are also after-market items. Having said that, the Swedes are big on what they term extra-ljus, huge powerful driving lights for the long dark Swedish winters which were offered as genuine accessories by Volvo.

I join others in wishing you well with your new car, I think you bagged a bargain with it!

Regards, John.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 14:13   #19
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Headlights are normally attached to a backplate by means of the adjusters then the backplate bolts into the chassis/inner wing/slam panel area so if necessary, the headlamps can be removed and replaced without having to disturb the alignment. Either that or the headlights and adjusters are all part of one assembly that bolts into the same area.

You can see what i mean on the USA spec headlamp :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/86-87-88-...l/173772869669

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-US-...r/282676937485

Likewise on this European spec headlight.

If i'm right about the inboard pair of lights being driving lights, you can wire them to the existing main beam. If you were being fussy you could add a relay but the existing relay should be more than capable, after all Volvo designed it to cope with an extra pair of driving lamps and just used the same circuitry/relay for all models.

Someone on another thread somewhere on here suggested the diaphragm should be a service item at 24k miles so if you renew it and then order a new one, you shouldn't have any trouble. When you get near to the 24k miles, order another and be ready to replace it.

I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned using Vaseline - a better idea is silicone grease.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006O7HTDE

Not sure if yours has a sunroof but if so, tilt it and rub some into the seal and let it soak in. Wipe off the excess gently, slide the roof panel back and do similar to the front part of the seal.
Aside from that, use it to protect electrical connections (including the battery terminals), on rubber seals (including "O" rings) and wherever you need a waterproof grease.
Hi Dave,

I agree that is normally the way headlamps are arranged - so they may be removed without altering the alignment - but you may see in one of my other posts that it does not seem to be the case with these ones. Here is a photo of the offending part:

... you seem the captive ball joint is rivetted to the chassis, and the nylon bush through which it screws is rivetted to the light unit, so the only way of separating the lamps from the chassis is to screw the adjuster all the way through the back (well, that is the only way I can see, unless someone knows better). I think I described the solution as being rather Saabesque (not a compliment) in the other post.

It might well be possible to change the lamps with their sub-frames to a later type - in the fullness of time I might do that.

It looks like someone (maybe Volvo, or a dealer) may have added the fog lamps from early days, the switch (the one on the left) looks like it is designed to fit a 240 and there appears to be a little bit of neat wiring loom behind it:

Unfortunately whilst the switch works, there is no power going to it under any conditions, so perhaps it was disconnected? All 4 of the fog/driving lamps are controlled by the very scruffy aftermarket switch in the middle which is held in by some bluetac and has a permanent live feed, which is not acceptable. Having checked the original looking switch works, I'll power it from the headlamps and use that to switch the lights, then get rid of the ugly switch in the middle and find a Volvo blanking plate from eBay.

I'm not sure about keeping all 4 lamps - I think the outer two look a bit daft, and they well disappear when I get round to sorting this problem. I agree I won't need a relay to run just two fog lamps, the wiring will be quite capable of handling a little extra.

Thank you for the information about silicone grease - I did use it (I buy it from Screwfix, intended for plumbers but it would really well on motorbikes and cars). The Vasaline is more for items that need a bit of protection from the elements like battery terminals. It works well on door hinges as well, and stays in place for a while.

My car has a sunroof, which slides pretty well and seals up, I didn't know it might tilt, how would I get it to do that?

Many thanks again for your help and advice, I'm enjoying the Royal Barge project, it is a nice car and I think I can improve it quite a bit at almost no cost with a bit of work and thought. I have several threads running - to do with different issues, and I'm pleased to say contributors have been really helpful.

I can't put off walking Bob (the dog) any longer, we will have to brave this storm :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 9th, 2020 at 14:18.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 14:17   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

In i believe 1976, a law was passed that all new cars must be fitted with a drivers door mirror as well as the internal rear view mirror. A couple of years later, the passenger door mirror was added to the mandate. May have been a little more than a couple of years but sometime in the late 70s/very early 80s.

This spelled the demise of wing mirrors except as an optional accessory. It's also more convenient to adjust the door mirror than a wing mirror and less likely to be knocked out of adjustment by a wayward toddler or trolley in a supermarket car park.

These days as far as i understand it, for MoT purposes at least, two mirrors are needed. Arguably this could be a passenger door mirror and an internal rear view mirror but i think at least one of the mirrors has to be on the drivers door. I think this has come about because of car-derived vans with two door mirrors and a redundant or missing internal rear view mirror because the rear doors/tailgate don't have a window.

As for the headlamps, have a look at this pic :

A Volvo 264 of similar age, note the different grille and bonnet to the 244 :

Some markets did get the wider 264 style headlamps or variations thereof but not the UK as far as i'm aware. It's possible (probable even!) the PO of your new chariot spotted something like this and did some investigation and changed the headlights :

Other variations on "foreign" cars showed the rectangular headlamps so it seems that the larger headlamps could easily be retro-fitted.