Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil leak suspected rocker cover

Views : 1432

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2020, 13:55   #11
V70greg

Hi Aptref,

I changed the engine oil, as it was over due. I am currently monitoring it but it seams to have fixed it. Last time I check the electrical sensor it showed full still.

Caveats to this are:

Due to lock down the car has only covered very minimal miles so I may simply have not seen it yet.

The wife has had me doing loads of DIY around the house so I have not been underneath since I finished the oil change so cannot be sure it has actually stopped leaking.

(seeing as our government believe we can now use our judgment and can use driving as a justifiable test of driving suitability I may take it out for a long drive see how its doing).

Sorry if this isn't much help, once I get underneath I will let you know if the oil change did help, if not at £950 I will definitely look at doing this myself!! It does look a bit tricky as there is a lot of fuel injection pipes and electrical connections on top.

Or I may just leave it and monitor it, topping up with a bit of oil every few 0,000 miles has to be good for the engine!! as the fuel gets diluted into it and an oily engine is normally rust free.
V70greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 14:01   #12
V70greg

Did you happen to ask the price for the part only?

I did call my local one a few weeks ago but they are closed up until the Covid situation ends.
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 12:17   #13
V70greg

Now my main dealer is back in I called to get a quote for the rocker cover gasket.

I was informed that this part is no long available as the rocker cover has been redesigned and the new rocker cover and gasket will cost £144

I assume the redesign is due to a design flaw, would I have any basis to have Volvo replace this as the fault is well enough known for them to redesign the rocker cover (my assumption that the redesign is due to original faulty design leading to an oil leak).

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 21:13   #14
V70greg

Further update,

I have not experienced any oil loss so I would go for that. Looking at another very useful thread on here I will put 0W40 oil in during my next oil change as I think thicker oil it is a good idea as the engine wears.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308763

As I am abroad and have use of my brother in laws garage he was able to source an OEM (forget the name) rocker cover gasket for my car for £15 so with his help we changed it, but it was a large job which required the injectors to be removed so would not advise it. Unless the oil change and thicker oil doesn't help.
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 09:48   #15
RM955I
Premier Member

I've got some minor oil leaks arounnd the rocker cover and I'm wondering if an injector is weeping ever so slightly.

What do I intend to do.....nothing The car is a 2010 D5 with 195,000 on it. It's in very good condition other than some minor stuff but we are well in to the realms of some thing being not worth fixing. I'll spend money on consumables and servicing but you get to a point where some things just aren't worth doing or warrant a bit of a bodge.

HAving said that, it's just done 2000 miles to the South of France and back and never missed a beat despite driving through some parts where air temp showed 42 degrees.
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 21:23   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
I've got some minor oil leaks arounnd the rocker cover and I'm wondering if an injector is weeping ever so slightly.

What do I intend to do.....nothing The car is a 2010 D5 with 195,000 on it. It's in very good condition other than some minor stuff but we are well in to the realms of some thing being not worth fixing. I'll spend money on consumables and servicing but you get to a point where some things just aren't worth doing or warrant a bit of a bodge.

HAving said that, it's just done 2000 miles to the South of France and back and never missed a beat despite driving through some parts where air temp showed 42 degrees.
An injector would leak fuel, not oil. Although, it doesn't make much difference what's leaking if you don't plan on spending anything on repairs.
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 21:47   #17
V70greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
An injector would leak fuel, not oil. Although, it doesn't make much difference what's leaking if you don't plan on spending anything on repairs.
Agreed, easy to tell the difference any diesel on the rocker cover due to the heat will make the engine and outside of the car stink of diesel every time it is warm.

Personally if it was diesel I would be inclined to fix it, it’s not likely to catch fire diesel is pretty safe. But it won’t do much for your mpg.

If it was oil I was going to leave it but I had the opportunity to fix it so I did