Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 XC Cruise Control not working

Views : 720

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:06   #1
J4ck100

Default V70 XC Cruise Control not working

Hi all

I recently picked up a 2002 V70 XC 2.4t manual which I’m doing up a bit.

Cruise control was working at first but in the last couple of weeks has been playing up. The cruise control light comes on on the dash when activated with the steering CRUISE button, however nothing happens when you press + or - to set.

One time it kicked into life again but hasn’t since. I have read that clutch position sensor can be the cause, however I understand that this usually triggers an engine system service required message on dash which I don’t have. It also looks to be in good condition visually.

Any other ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
Jack
J4ck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:24   #2
deanosabby

Just change the sensor. Mine looked to be in excellent condition too but once changed everything was working as it should.
I didn’t have any warning messages on the dash either.
deanosabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 11:00   #3
leswindeler

It's been a long time since mine did this but I seem to recall that a small electrical part (sensor) attached to the servo was changed.
Old May 24th, 2020, 12:51   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

I think that if the CPS is acting up it drops out the cruise lamp. Try starting with the clutch fully down, engage cruise, see that lamp comes on and raise the pedal. If the lamp stays on it would point to something other than the sensor.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 14:10   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
I think that if the CPS is acting up it drops out the cruise lamp. Try starting with the clutch fully down, engage cruise, see that lamp comes on and raise the pedal. If the lamp stays on it would point to something other than the sensor.
Mine are autos so may be different but AFAIA cruise will not be activated or react to any input below 30mph, would that apply to the test mode mentioned above?

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 15:28   #6
J4ck100

Hi,

Quick update today - I popped outside to scan DTC codes using my generic reader.

It picked up P0808 - Clutch Position Sensor Circuit High - so it looks like it is the usual suspect.

I'm going to take it out and clean it and maybe even try the cheap fix

Perhaps usefully for other owners - I have no check engine / engine system service required message and the cruise lamp works fine and does not go out if the clutch is raised.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to J4ck100 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2020, 13:42   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Mine are autos so may be different but AFAIA cruise will not be activated or react to any input below 30mph, would that apply to the test mode mentioned above?
i can get the cruise lamp on at standstill. Reversing from a tight spot I will generally put it on accidentally. Afaik there is a minimum speed. A gear change in a manual will deactivate it leaving the lamp lit. I suppose it would make sense to have a minimum speed consistent with the lowest practical speed in fifth?
The test is fairly conclusive of cps failure provided that it has failed. However the sensors can go into a twilight zone working some of the time and passing the pedal raise test.
I have managed to keep it lit by driving off in first if not actually slipping the clutch but just preventing the pedal reaching the top of it's return.

Last edited by Brendan W; May 29th, 2020 at 13:45.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2020, 14:41   #8
ASt85
Premier Member

Hi Brendan, there's something odd here - every car I've had that has cruise would not activate under 30mph - even clicking recover doesn't get a dash light to activate unless I am doing over 30mph, the same was true when I rediscovered Volvo's (borrowed in the form of a 264...sadly missed!) nor would any of the Vauxhall FDs,FEs or Carltons - the only exception being a Carlton CDi which would recover the setting from around 10mph. The 854 wouldn't engage at any less than 35mph but would then happily recover any settings that took it to the rev max in drive!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 18:23   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Hi Brendan, there's something odd here - every car I've had that has cruise would not activate under 30mph - even clicking recover doesn't get a dash light to activate unless I am doing over 30mph, the same was true when I rediscovered Volvo's (borrowed in the form of a 264...sadly missed!) nor would any of the Vauxhall FDs,FEs or Carltons - the only exception being a Carlton CDi which would recover the setting from around 10mph. The 854 wouldn't engage at any less than 35mph but would then happily recover any settings that took it to the rev max in drive!
I can get the lamp lit at standstill or low speed but that's it. I'm as certain as can be that there is a minimum speed for getting the system to take control of roadspeed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 19:57   #10
J4ck100

Final update - attempted to repair my faulty sensor

Stripped down and cleaned, measures resistances and there was no variation open or closed - totally shot. Didn’t fancy paying £60 for a new unit so got one removed from a 2006 S60 with 70k so a 4 year newer car and tested - works perfectly. Have wrapped in a freezer bag and installed - all happy so far and working great!

Thanks
Jack
The Following User Says Thank You to J4ck100 For This Useful Post: