Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol smell in cabin

Views : 2151

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2020, 10:36   #1
SlySi

Default Petrol smell in cabin

Hi all,
Just a quicky. I’ve kept meaning to post about this but as I’ve only done about 100 miles in 3 months, I keep forgetting to!!
Anyway, I’m sometimes getting a strong smell of petrol in the cabin. It seems to be when it’s up to temperature and when I pull up at traffic lights, on the drive etc. Thoughts?
I’ve been tinkering with the car on and off so would like to scrub this job off my to do list aswell.
Cheers
Si
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:36   #2
BarryCambs

I've just had exactly the same. but everything seemed bone dry under the bonnet. I then decided the smell was at the back of the car and found the seal on the filler cap had broken up. Replaced it a few days ago and so far, so good
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 12:56   #3
old onions

I had a strong smell of petrol from the rear of the car after filling it to the top. It disappeared after a about 50 odd miles each time.

I couldn't see anything obviously wrong so I took into my Volvo Indy who found a perished fuel filler hose from the cap to the tank. The rubber hose was about £18 , but it took 2 hours of labour to drop the tank enough to be able to fit the new hose , and a similar amount to replace it. A very expensive repair.

However I am glad he did it , as he showed me the culprit hose and I am frankly surprised it wasn't leaking more violently. I also could not have done a diy job without more experience (and a lift?) ..... unless you guys know different?

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 14:15   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Plastic fuel tank? there'll be a fuel filter ahead of the rear onside wheel so checking it for leaks is an easy early step.

In my experience reading several boards, the filler pipe has been mentioned most frequently.

If you can drill out the rivets which hold the fender liner (and have a pop-rivet tool and replacement rivets to reassemble) you can easily eyeball the filler pipe.

Another source of a leak is a ground strap which can rub against the plastic pipe and wear a hole.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 14:21   #5
BarryCambs

I already had the pleasure of doing the filler pipe a few years ago.
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 15:25   #6
Brendan W
Premier Member

Have you looked at the seal on the pump under the seats.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 11:41   #7
SlySi

Hi all,
I think I’ve found the culprit. A loose spark plug. It didn’t even take 3 turns to remove. There wasn’t even an electrode. Completely gone. The coil boot was welded to the plug bore. Ugh. I got it off eventually though.
Bad news. There are 2 seized plugs. I’ve done 1, 3 and 5. 2 and 4 don’t want to budge.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Si
Old May 30th, 2020, 13:20   #8
Brendan W
Premier Member

Get the motor hot and try again.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 13:33   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

When did you acquire this vehicle and with how many miles?
This is an '05 you say?

"They" always say remove plugs on a cold engine.

You could try blowing air into the spark plug bore to clear dirt then drip some penetrating oil and give it time to work. 5ml would be plenty.

Do you have a longer breaker bar? Leverage and a bit of confidence go a long way.

Have a thread chaser on hand for when they do break free.

Also, did 1,3 or 5 chatter or squeal as you turned them out?
All 5 of mine did in my 1st V70 so I've taken to the practice of dripping a little oil of any kind down the bore and working the plugs L-R to coax the lube down the threads.

Aluminum heads and steel sparky-poos give me the willies. I use copper or nickel anti-seize on the threads.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; May 30th, 2020 at 13:35.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 13:39   #10
SlySi

No squeaking. 1 and 3 came out cleanly. 5 was the knackered, loose spark.
I’ve put a few squirts of wd40 into the plug bores to try and work into the thread. I’m going back every half and hour or so to try again but with no luck.
There is a bit of play both ways on both plugs but they soon tighten up again.
Argh!