Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From the S80 forum - fuel flap replacement

Views : 82501

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 15:52   #21
xc70jason
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbren30 View Post
I've just replaced my fuel flap hinge. Very simple 5 minute job. The only squeaky bum bit was getting the old hinge off the flap itself without bending/snapping the spindle that it's fitted too. Then fitting it to the new hinge again trying not to snap/bend the spindle. It's quite robust though.
I can agree with that,i had a bottom twitching moment when i was trying to get the old hinge off the spindle.

Anyway,another job done

Jason
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 20:07   #22
AlanR

Just done mine - 54plate V70.

Existing pins pushed out ok with a small nail (end ground flat) whose diameter matched (or was slightly less than) the diameter of the pins on the new piece.

Removing the flap from the old hinge was more of a challenge. Eventually I cut away the plastic on the hinge that was preventing the bar from being released (the old hinge was sacrificial anyway) this released the bar and the flap was completely undamaged.

Holding the hinge plate tightly against the bodywork and ensuring all four clips have passed into their respective holes in the side of the vehicle, the two outer pins can carefully be tapped in flush using a small hammer.

The inner two pins were more difficult, sheltered by adjacent mouldings. So I got a 6" nail, ground the end perfectly flat. Have to hold it carefully and perpendicular to the hinge (axially in line with the pin you're going to hit) then gently tap it home. The 6" nail diameter (being larger) will automatically ensure the pin is not driven through the face of the hinge, so it can be tapped until the pin is flush with the surface.

Finally very gently depress the wire spring and let it into its two slot on the hinge plate. I advise caution here, for any sudden snap if you let go of the wire could well set you right back to square one!!! But then it will be even easier second time around - albeit another £10 out of pocket.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 21:06   #23
bychan

Hi can anyone help, i have a volvo s80 2000, drives great but engine cuts out at road junction's and traffic lights,any ideas, thanks.
bychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 18:22   #24
ALBERT10

I have an s60 but presume the fuel flap is the same or similar, I managed to to get the old plastic hinge bracket off and install the new one but what is the procedure/knack to getting the flap back on?
ALBERT10 is offline   Reply With Quote