Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking about a used XC90 T8; what is the petrol range?

Views : 2075

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2020, 23:36   #1
zigway

Default Thinking about a used XC90 T8; what is the petrol range?

Hi all,

I'm researching whether to replace our Passat GTE Estate PHEV with a used XC90 T8; budget means I would be looking at a 2016 model with average mileage.

The Passat has been a great car but I get too many complaints from the middle seat rear passenger being uncomfortable (family of 5), plus going back to 7 seats would be a real bonus (and teenagers won't fit in many cars' third rows). I really like the XC90 and with a decent dealer or aftermarket extended warranty I could be very tempted.

My main concern is economy; I'll certainly take a MPG hit with an XC90 (Passat manages 38mpg on a long run if I've not been able to charge it), but with most journeys we do being up to 50 miles round-trip then a T8 should still give at-least-as-good-as-diesel-equivalent figures I would hope.

It's the long journeys that worry me a bit; we do a 350 mile each way trip to Scotland a few times a year, and the 50l petrol tank seems puny (the Passat's is bigger, it can manage 400 miles). What's the realistic maximum range on petrol + charged battery on motorways at 70mph? Am I going to be stopping for fuel every 250 miles? Or is it even worse than that?

Grateful for any advice!
zigway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 23:58   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

They fitted bigger fuel tanks on newer models not sure from what MY but may be from MY19, I believe it was increased to 70ltrs, someone will come along soon to enlighten.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 00:26   #3
dling

Yup, it's MY19 when they upgraded the tank, but given the OP is looking at MY16-17 I guess there must be quite a big purchase price difference.
I have an XC60 T8 MY19 with the bigger tank. On long journeys, at 80 mph (I do not live in the UK) I am getting 35 mpg. When towing (2 tonne caravan) I am getting 27-29 mpg at 50 mph.
I expect the XC90 would be a bit worse, but not much. Nevertheless, 38 mpg doesn't sound achievable without charging the battery.
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 01:43   #4
zigway

Thanks for the info, you're right, I'm not expecting to be able to match 38mpg on a long run (I'd be pleased to get anywhere close); of course we can plan around longer journeys and more petrol stops, and avoiding motorway service prices for fill-ups, but it's something I would need to sell to my wife who would need convincing this is worthwhile...
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 08:11   #5
Daveh1000

I have the smaller tank, when driving at 70 I get around 30mpg. At 50 it’s around 40. Will full tank and battery range says it’s 500 miles but I would expect around 400. On a long run I fill up at after 250 miles or when I get to destination
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 13:56   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I have a 2016 XC90 T8. Had it from new. First 3 years as a fully expensed company car. Last 15 months as my own car. Mileage is now circa 103,000.

If you drive at an indicated 70mph on the motorway then you will do circa 30-34 mpg depending on conditions. Moving up to an indicated 80mph does hammer the consumption a bit as will headwinds or a roof load. mpg figures are real from tank to tank. I have a spreadsheet with all my fill ups and mileages since day 1. Bank on about 350 miles fill to fill if you drive sensibly.

Driving a 50mile motorway commute and charging at both ends I have attained up to 60mpg. Worse in the winter because petrol is also used for cabin heating on pure electric driving. Remember electric is not free but mile for mile electric on a domestic tariff is about 25% of petrol cost.

Warranty. Definitely. Buy one. These are complicated cars. Mine has a problem with the ERAD at the moment. A new one is 9k. Mine just needs a new ERAD clutch pack which is (only!) 1.7k of parts and 12 hours workshop labour. Volvo are offering some contribution up to 5 years but mine is only eligible for 50% contribution. Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty. On other items a new battery pack is, I am told, 22k. There are also about 150 individual ECUs around the car. So if you want one of these cars you either need a real appetite for risk or very deep pockets or a water tight warranty.

However. I like the car. It is still a lovely car with a beautiful interior and wonderfully quiet on 19inch michelins.

Keep asking questions, we are generally a friendly bunch here and want to help.

Oh and finally there is Tesco filling station just off the M6 at Carlisle and one also half way up the M74 too so trips to Scotland not so difficult.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 00:06   #7
Director76
Master Member

We get our 2-3 x per year Scotland trip (286 miles each way) comfortably from a full (50litre - MY18.5) tank and a full battery.

We do have to fill up to return though...unlike our previous two Tourareg V6s which could round trip on one tank plus driving around up there.

It’s no big deal, as long as you remember that petrol station opening hours in rural Scotland aren’t as generous as in England.

(As I found to my great social cost and annoyance (!) as the Father-in-law had to be called out with a diesel can late one night as our then Alfa 159 was on fumes as we passed about the 5th shut filling station...)
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 00:14   #8
zigway

Thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated, and most encouraging.

Philip, can I ask who your extended warranty is with please? I’ve got a few online quotes already. I assume buying approved used from a Volvo dealer and then extending Volvo warranty thereafter is possible, but at a premium.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 00:20   #9
Director76
Master Member

And you soon realise that the range miles drop their last 50 miles in about 20! Oh and the car’s control ‘logic’ dictates that when the fuel warning light is on you use more petrol, even with a full battery, as the aux heater is disabled, so the ICE cuts in more!

We never let it get anywhere near empty now on a trip!!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 15:54   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigway View Post
Thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated, and most encouraging.

Philip, can I ask who your extended warranty is with please? I’ve got a few online quotes already. I assume buying approved used from a Volvo dealer and then extending Volvo warranty thereafter is possible, but at a premium.
It is an Automotion Gold warranty from QBE. It cost 599 for 3 years with no mileage limits. Sold by my dealer to me. Dealer is Riverside Doncaster.

Volvo warranty extension has to be for original buyer, only goes up to 100k miles and 5 years.

We will find out soon enough if it is worth the money as the dealers are currently trying to claim for my ERAD.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: