Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another powerpulse failure

Views : 5815

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2020, 18:22   #11
VO11VLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNVXC90 View Post
I once heard a bang after a 30 minute drive. Car was 2.5 year old then. At that point, I was already aware of the power pulse hose issue, thanks to the forum.

However, I did not experience any performance degradation and no warning lights.

So I continued to drive the car for the next 6 months and until the 3rd service. At 3rd service, it was indeed diagnosed as a power pulse hose issue, and it was replaced. No difference in performance though as it always has been adequate.
I didn't get any warning lights until after the repair work - think something else gone wrong possibly related to the recall fixes or just working on the car. We will see...
VO11VLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 20:41   #12
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
At this point I'm glad I didn't pay the extra 8k for the D5 engine.
Not sure about CH but It’s more like €4K. And every time I press on the loud pedal I think to myself “Money well spent!” Btw, 2.5yrs in and just over 50K kms - still on the original PP hose. Zero issues.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 18:11   #13
VO11VLO

Well it turns out some other hose was loose, probably knocked off whilst the work was being done.

It all seems fine now.

Taggarts Volvo Glasgow were very helpful and apologised for the inconvenience, and delivered my car back home for me.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 08:27   #14
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO11VLO View Post
Well it turns out some other hose was loose, probably knocked off whilst the work was being done.

It all seems fine now.

Taggarts Volvo Glasgow were very helpful and apologised for the inconvenience, and delivered my car back home for me.
if the hose from manifold to throttle module was accidently left off which i doubt it wouldn't drive very well and you'd hear hissing noise eml would come on straight away.

new sw implemented probally this has detected some other issue
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 14:18   #15
Hartlepool Mariner

The new "improved" hose fitted to my XC90 has gone after four months, the fibre reinforcement is visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200316_135936.jpg (137.6 KB, 115 views)
Hartlepool Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 17:39   #16
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartlepool Mariner View Post
The new "improved" hose fitted to my XC90 has gone after four months, the fibre reinforcement is visible.
Can you clarify exactly where that fitting is. If I'm reading the photo correctly the ali heatsink (bottom right) is where the 12v+ post is (the one with the red plastic cover.

I've just got a D5 after having a D4 so PowerPulse is new to me. I really miss not being able to get a workshop manual for modern cars. I've always had one for any car I've owned up to my D3 V70.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 21:06   #17
VO11VLO

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
if the hose from manifold to throttle module was accidently left off which i doubt it wouldn't drive very well and you'd hear hissing noise eml would come on straight away.

new sw implemented probally this has detected some other issue
I guess you're right - same issue arose today and the car was taken back to dealer on a low loader
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 13:44   #18
Hartlepool Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Can you clarify exactly where that fitting is. If I'm reading the photo correctly the ali heatsink (bottom right) is where the 12v+ post is (the one with the red plastic cover.

I've just got a D5 after having a D4 so PowerPulse is new to me. I really miss not being able to get a workshop manual for modern cars. I've always had one for any car I've owned up to my D3 V70.
I have attached a view from a bit further out. The hose had failed in two places. A new one is being fitted next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Pulse Hose Location.JPG (46.6 KB, 103 views)
Hartlepool Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hartlepool Mariner For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 17:56   #19
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartlepool Mariner View Post
I have attached a view from a bit further out. The hose had failed in two places. A new one is being fitted next week.
thanks for that.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 10:31   #20
Jackysi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
At this point I'm glad I didn't pay the extra 8k for the D5 engine.
Not trying to be a smartass, but major difference between D5 and D4 is extra 45 horsepower and AWD. PP is just minor addon. I am very happy to spend the extra, the car accelerates amazingly when overtaking. Extra safety

P.S.: I think it also has larger turbo. My local "tuner" told me he can easily get the car to 290HP. That's a lot for 2.0 Diesel. Tho I aint risking it