Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Repeatedly storing DPF blocked code but no message on DIM

Views : 1002

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2020, 23:28   #1
Vdx

Default Repeatedly storing DPF blocked code but no message on DIM

I have a 2010 C30 1.6 Drive D4164T intermittently storing 2A40 'particulate trap blocked' but no message appears on the DIM. When I check the freeze frame it is always at low engine load, low speed and the trap pressure is reported at ~74mbar or something ridiculous like that. Never caught it doing this on the live data, at idle is normally 2-5mbar.

Car was bought in Dec last year from a Volvo garage (albeit one owned by a chain of car supermarkets), had done ~60k miles and is now on aprox ~71K. In Jan DPF sensor and pressure pipes replaced under used car warranty after a split hose put it into limp mode. Genuine parts used. Visually the sensor looks fine, pipes on tight and no signs of water ingress. Warranty was 3 months, now long expired in case you are wondering why I haven't taken it back for this.

Only other fault code is intermittent 'low beam left faulty signal' in the CEM. Has been doing this since I bought it. When this occurs a message appears in the DIM but the beam itself doesn't cut out. Dealer fitted new bulb, no change.

After having the car for a bit and driving some diesels with similar power I feel it very sluggish but it is my first car so not much to compare with. When It was back at the dealer for warranty work I mentioned the performance but was told multiple people had driven it and felt it was performing normally. No other fault codes so took their word for it but remain skeptical hence why I plug the scanner in every now and then. No decrease from its usual very low levels of performance since it started storing the DPF blocked code.

Any ideas much appreciated, cheers. Pics of freeze frame attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPF1.jpg (65.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DPF2.jpg (65.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DPF3.jpg (55.8 KB, 17 views)
Vdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 10:10   #2
nalla

have you tried a manual regen of the dpf
nalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 21:01   #3
Vdx

Cheers nalla,

When I first noticed it storing the codes I took it for a dual carriageway run to give it a chance to regen but after starting it again the code came back. I was surprised to see the dpf blocked code to begin with as most of my driving is fast rural anyway.

Thats when I checked the freeze frame and thinking about it now I believe what it is reading is implausible. I don't know what the back-pressure goes up to under heavy load but if it was really 75 millibar at 1% engine load I doubt it would start. I reckon it is only reading like this for a few seconds at a time or surely it would put a message on the dash.

I think my battery might be on the way out, not sure if that is related. It was reading 12.2 volts after a run the other day. Car was sitting for a while due to the current situation and the battery seems pretty old. Think the smart charge on these puts them only to 80% charge but think 12.2 is lower than 80%. Other than that I think I will have to check the harness to the sensor and also to this dodgy bulb for any damage too. Don't think the sensor itself is bad as it seems to read normal when I check it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 03:22   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdx View Post

I think my battery might be on the way out, not sure if that is related. It was reading 12.2 volts after a run the other day. Car was sitting for a while due to the current situation and the battery seems pretty old. Think the smart charge on these puts them only to 80% charge but think 12.2 is lower than 80%. Other than that I think I will have to check the harness to the sensor and also to this dodgy bulb for any damage too. Don't think the sensor itself is bad as it seems to read normal when I check it.

Cheers.
A charge of 12.2v is 80% of 14.64v so if it is only meant to go to 80% then yours is about right, why is it only 80% makes no sense to me, especially when its not needed for any extended period...
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 10:53   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdx View Post
I have a 2010 C30 1.6 Drive D4164T intermittently storing 2A40 'particulate trap blocked' but no message appears on the DIM. When I check the freeze frame it is always at low engine load, low speed and the trap pressure is reported at ~74mbar or something ridiculous like that. Never caught it doing this on the live data, at idle is normally 2-5mbar.

Car was bought in Dec last year from a Volvo garage (albeit one owned by a chain of car supermarkets), had done ~60k miles and is now on aprox ~71K. In Jan DPF sensor and pressure pipes replaced under used car warranty after a split hose put it into limp mode. Genuine parts used. Visually the sensor looks fine, pipes on tight and no signs of water ingress. Warranty was 3 months, now long expired in case you are wondering why I haven't taken it back for this.

Only other fault code is intermittent 'low beam left faulty signal' in the CEM. Has been doing this since I bought it. When this occurs a message appears in the DIM but the beam itself doesn't cut out. Dealer fitted new bulb, no change.

After having the car for a bit and driving some diesels with similar power I feel it very sluggish but it is my first car so not much to compare with. When It was back at the dealer for warranty work I mentioned the performance but was told multiple people had driven it and felt it was performing normally. No other fault codes so took their word for it but remain skeptical hence why I plug the scanner in every now and then. No decrease from its usual very low levels of performance since it started storing the DPF blocked code.

Any ideas much appreciated, cheers. Pics of freeze frame attached.
have you toped up your eloys fluid ? when its empty dpf code will not clear
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 22:58   #6
Vdx

Thanks simmy, yeh the EOLYS was topped up when it was serviced at 75k. It stopped logging the DPF blocked code under the low engine load/speed condition. It seemed to be doing it when the engine was hot started - the pressure would shoot way up and then quickly normalise, hence why the code was logged just above idle speeds. No idea the cause in the end but it runs fine so I just left it at that. I did change the battery in the end - although it would hold above 12v it dropped way to low when cranking and a low battery message had started to come up with the radio on for only a few minutes.

Cheers
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 07:22   #7
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , I suggest driving the car with a scanner connected to the OBD port , have a kindly soul either drive or record the values generated by the DPF pressure sensors and compare them to factory values ( some one on here must know them ) to ensure the ECU is getting the correct info . It is also worth checking the metal pipes into the DPF as I often encounter small leaks during MOT testing ( normally inferior french cars ) .

A live data read can present you with far more accurate information than simply reading / searching for fault codes , leading to a quicker & cheaper solution

Tags
d4164t, dpf