Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 key will not come out. Will not go all the way to positi

Views : 1193

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2020, 10:16   #1
2007V50
2007V50-2.4-RHD

Default V50 key will not come out. Will not go all the way to positi

Thanks to Covid, I've not driven my 2007 V50 in a month or so. It has been left outside on the street. When I got to it today, the key fob button for the electric door lock opened fine. Inserted key, all the lights came on as normal, turned key - "key error" came on twice. I have never seen that message before.

I removed the key from the ignition slot, pressed the lock/unlock button a few times, reinserted the key and it fired up fine. I then drove the car about 10k to a parking garage.

I got out, swiped garage opener, but when I got back into the car, it would not come out of Park. This has happened before (in the the first time was at that same garage door), so I have a spare emergency door key (the metal bit in the key fob) that I pressed the lock under the little flap near the gearshift, and it went into gear just fine.

I then backed it into the parking place, but when I went to turn off the car, it would shut down the engine, but the key stay between 0 and 1 position on the key, keeping some of the electronics on, like the heater fan and dash lights. The key (if that is what one calls a plastic stub that seems to be all electronic) would not come out of the slot.

I tried prodding, fiddling, pushing buttons, all the ideas I found using Google on my cell phone, but no joy. I then took a 10mm socket wrench and disconnected the negative battery cable. Hooked it back up, no joy. But the car still starts fine, goes into gear fine. At one point, a message came on the screen saying "low battery", but it started just fine when I turned the key. Finally, I disconnected the battery, closed all the doors and hung my hat over the key. At least it is in a secure garage and unlikely to be taken for a joy ride.

Also, if this is a clue, Over the past year or so I noticed that if I leave the key in the ignition, even in position 0, I would hear a slight electric noise from somewhere inside the dashboard, kind of a buzzing but not like a door buzzer or something else intentional

I suppose I could just add one of those battery cutoffs used in boats and keep driving, but that means never locking the doors and having to reset the radio each time.

Better to ask two questions:
  1. Any idea what I need to do to fix this problem?
  2. The car is no longer worth a whole lot. Does anyone know how I can tear out these various smart locks, bypass sensors and keep it going without spending silly money*?

Otherwise it will have to be goodbye to Volvo - back to uninspiring Japanese stuff that keeps on running.

* For example, I read somewhere that if you use enough force, the gear lock can be broken so you don't have to use the emergency key in the little flap by the gear shifter. I would rather take the console apart and remove the gear lock carefully, not use force. That posting does suggest these anti-theft features that may be essential where people steal cars, can be removed when the cars get old and shade tree mechanics want to keep them going without all the smart stuff that fails.

Thanks in Advance
2007V50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 10:32   #2
PNM

Have a look at this; https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ight=Stuck+key

Also, I think there may have been a recall/TSB about stuck keys, they upgraded the barrel at some point during the production run.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 11:34   #3
Welton
Premier Member

My 2005 S40 used to show "KEY ERROR TRY AGAIN" sometimes and nothing would be working.

A sharp 'sympathetic' whack to the back of the key (like you're nailing the key into its hole) fixed the problem for good!

Not saying this is your issue but the theory online was that the sharp whack improves the connection of the electrical plug behind the key barrel
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 20:16   #4
dirtyC30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
My 2005 S40 used to show "KEY ERROR TRY AGAIN" sometimes and nothing would be working.

A sharp 'sympathetic' whack to the back of the key (like you're nailing the key into its hole) fixed the problem for good!

Not saying this is your issue but the theory online was that the sharp whack improves the connection of the electrical plug behind the key barrel
My C30 occasionally showed that error & normally taking the key out and trying again sorted it. One time it didn't so I googled solutions and found another advocate of the hitting-the-key-a-sharp-tap method. It worked and the error it hasn't came back but this was only a few weeks ago.
dirtyC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 21:24   #5
2007V50
2007V50-2.4-RHD

Default SOLVED: V50 key will not come out. Stuck between 0 and 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007V50 View Post
I asked
  1. Any idea what I need to do to fix this problem?
  2. The car is no longer worth a whole lot. Does anyone know how I can tear out these various smart locks, bypass sensors and keep it going without spending silly money*?
SOLVED. It was the ignition switch. Bought a wrecking yard one, followed the video instructions on how to replace (see https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-fix-or-bypass where I posted a payforward for future owners with the same problem) and it works fine using the original key.

This is the culprit. The springs will not retract.

To save your key with no code resetting, just unclip the top and move your circuit board into the replacement switch.

Also, if you don't want to pay Volvo for a second key, you can watch this video https://youtu.be/ivc55z71XiQ to disable the security. Yes, it makes your car easier to steal but with an old car not as important.

I did not do this.

Instead I fixed the key, listed it on TradeMe (NZ's car auction site) with a $1 reserve. It's up to $1,000 with a week to go. I reckon it will sell for $2,500 to $3,500 but whatever, it will be gone. I replaced it with a 2005 Honda CRV. A lot less electronics. If it ain't there, it won't fail.

End of my Volvo years.

Hejdå mina vänner
2007V50 is offline   Reply With Quote