Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Impact of new V70 on used prices

Views : 541

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 14:16   #1
rex

Hi

I asked this question in the 70 Series area and got some interesting responses, thought I'd try here as well to see what others thought.

Question is, with the new V70 announced and available later in the year, how will prices of used V70s be affected? Better to hold off for a while, or will only the higher-priced ones (almost new) be the ones really impacted?

Cheers all
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 14:27   #2
pint6x
pint6x

In a way, one can answer this by looking at the V70's predecessor - there's still a good market for clean old-shape V70s and even the 850 series before that.

Yes of course, used values will move down a little bit - they do that every month anyway - I subscribe to Glass's guide, so I see it all the time.

While some people must have the latest model, others will prefer the proven-technology of the existing model, together with the saving they will make in the purchase price.

When the new V70 hits the market, the dealers will make derisory offers on old V70s, using the new model as an excuse. Give it a few months to settle down, and we'll see the market for the old model picking up again, with late model low mileage examples at the dealers, and older higher mileage stock with the independents and going through the auctions.
pint6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 14:32   #3
GMcL
0's and 1's

While Volvo doesn't have the residuals of Mercedes or BMW, it won't be affected in the same way the Mondeo will be hit by the arrival of the new model.
V70's are not exactly ten-a-penny on the roads and, as previously said, there's always a market for good quality, clean, older cars of this type.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 15:53   #4
Alasdair Mackay

Some very interesting replies. I was (upps) looking at a 2006 Mondeo ST220
15k miles. Sale at £10500.00 Bet you can,nt beat that for poor residuals. My T6 was up for sale 2002 March 33k miles. Put it up against a S6T5 2005 7k miles @ £16,500.00 I was offered £6500.00 for the T6. I was told the bottom had fallen out with the old S80T6 due to the New S80. What a load of bo--ocks. £6500.00 MOT 12 mths taxed 12 months just serviced. It would be on the forecourt at £10500.00. Most dealers use the situation of new vehicles to beat down the SH values of PX. Don,nt blame them they have to get their profit from somewhere. I have just been offered a fig of £8500.00 for the T6 may accept it and go and offer them £15500.00 for S60T5.
I know this is not news to experienced forum members but its still nice to get one over them. Another interesting point is that the further North you go the cheaper Volvos get. Going to get my next one from Inverness. LOL
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 16:41   #5
GMcL
0's and 1's

You don't have to go that far.
I read a report recently (can't remember if it was the Telegraph or the Times - I will post the link if I can find it again) that said the North East was the place where you get best value for money - I won't say cheap as they'll still have the shirt off your back if they smell blood.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 16:47   #6
GMcL
0's and 1's

...it was the Times and Jason Dawe's column:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle1408359.ece