Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yep, another brakes thread

Views : 5659

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 12:27   #11
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

@scoobysn7x - Thanks very much, I will try that next time it siezes. The Wife™ is a mechanical engineer so I'll sit in the car pulling my handbrake while she gets down and dirty under the chassis.

@Dog_book - I had very dusty brakes on my Golf, it was annoying having black wheels after a month, although I do wash the Volvo more often (hehe), so thanks scoob for the Mintex recommendation but I'll be doing Volvo unless it's ££££££.

eBay has Goodridge kits for £57 all inc, I've ordered a kit. There are HEL kits for £69, and I don't suppose there's any appreciable difference in quality/longevity between the brands. The HEL kits are coloured lines and with TUV approval (labels) but I'm not bothered enough to pay £12 extra and wait for them to be built specially....
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 16:14   #12
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
eBay has Goodridge kits for £57 all inc, I've ordered a kit. There are HEL kits for £69, and I don't suppose there's any appreciable difference in quality/longevity between the brands. The HEL kits are coloured lines and with TUV approval (labels) but I'm not bothered enough to pay £12 extra and wait for them to be built specially....
To be honest I was going to go with goodridge but the ebay seller couldn't confirm which kit would fit the T4, I went to goodridge direct and they could not confirm which kit was needed and advised I would have to measure the line on the car to ensure the correct kit was purchased (not helpful!!!) the website I used (brakelines.co.uk or something) to get the HEL ones were great guaranteed fitment as the HEL are made to order, they had a discount and free postage so it was £58, really good quality and really quick took about 5 days from order to delivery and got update on the order satus well impressed with the service, I got the silver carbon fibre effect cover and they are well smart well worth the cash.

Re the discs and pads I think the volvo one will be a lot more, the motor factors in glasgow could supply pattern parts for less than the Mintex brake kits and they was some crappy makes I'd never heard of the disc were more than the mintex discs and pads!!!

I don't really notice any more brake dust than usual...

Last edited by scoobysn7x; Oct 3rd, 2011 at 16:16.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 17:16   #13
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Aye, that is slightly concerning, although I did ring the seller (I always ring them in advance for advice if it's for something like this) and he did confirm that the kit in stock was for the "S40/V40 1997-2004". I can't imagine there will be a problem if this kit is specified to fit both phase 1 & 2. I would imagine the T4 is the same as all the rest? If not, I have Distance Selling Regulations and my statutory rights on my side.

I'm planning to call FRF tomorrow for their price before I decide what to do. If it's hundreds different I'm not that fussed about going genuine.... I'm expecting a few tenners.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 17:31   #14
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

One more question, is there much difference in quality between "OE" (i.e. Unipart) and "Volvo Genuine"? Are they basically comparable quality, or is it a case of pays yer money?
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 17:36   #15
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
One more question, is there much difference in quality between "OE" (i.e. Unipart) and "Volvo Genuine"? Are they basically comparable quality, or is it a case of pays yer money?
depends on the bit
borg warner clutch kits > excellent
unipart ,, usually pretty not bad really

"halfrauds" own brand "direct oem replacement" ,,usually as good as wet tissues
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 17:40   #16
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Noted, I'll give my indie a ring tomorrow too and get prices for Uniparts.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 17:49   #17
mjbv40

I used Mintex discs & pads on my old 406 (RIP) and was very impressed.
I've heard good things about Pagid kit which eurocarparts sell, I'll be getting some myself soon because the rears discs are a wee bit lipped!
mjbv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 20:50   #18
benf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbv40 View Post
I used Mintex discs & pads on my old 406 (RIP) and was very impressed.
I've heard good things about Pagid kit which eurocarparts sell, I'll be getting some myself soon because the rears discs are a wee bit lipped!
Thumbs up from me for Mintex red/black boxed plain (e.g. non-drilled) pads and discs ... When I got then fitted at the MOT centre could not belive the cost :P something down the lines of 'there are good as the pads and discs we normal source and half the price!' I got mines from 'quality.car.parts' seller on ebay.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 15:07   #19
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I couldn't find any Mintex kits for the S40/V40 on eBay, but kits for similar sized cars are coming up at about £120...

Pagid on ECP about £140 in total....

FRF quoted for a full set of Volvo discs + pads, a shade over £150, + £20 delivery (for two boxes)

Frankly, I don't think that's very much at all, and is much less than I was expecting. I'm very impressed. Even my indie sounded surprised, I'm waiting for a price from him on Uniparts tomorrow but I doubt they'll be much less.

I'll be asking FRF if I can send my own courier to collect though...!
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 15:25   #20
mjbv40

You can't go wrong at those prices, I'd be interested to know who makes the gen volvo ones!
mjbv40 is offline   Reply With Quote