Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yep, another brakes thread

Views : 5661

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 14:23   #71
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

@skyship007
In my moderate experience, this extreme example does not sound like a symptom of pipe swelling. Given the normal pedal and fluid travel under braking, I am quite sure the pipes would burst before the pedal got anywhere near hitting the floor!! But I'd still be inclined to eliminate that possibility first... just have a look at the pipes while someone pumps the brakes hard to be certain. You could also pump the servo until the pedal goes stiff... if it doesn't go stiff then you have slack somewhere, either air or swelling pipes.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 23:06   #72
Dazza007
Dazza007

Default mintex garbage

after reading this thread i went out and bought a set of mintex discs and pads and must say how disappointed I am with them. Have to really stamp on the pedal to get them to work, waste of money in my opinion. Should have stuck with gen oem's. You live and learn.
Dazza007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 18:54   #73
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza007 View Post
after reading this thread i went out and bought a set of mintex discs and pads and must say how disappointed I am with them. Have to really stamp on the pedal to get them to work, waste of money in my opinion. Should have stuck with gen oem's. You live and learn.
Is this before or after they have bedded in?

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 22:39   #74
Dazza007
Dazza007

Default bedded in?

how long does it take to bed in? Been 3 days and I've been using the a lot more than normal to bed them in. The pads had raised bits on them so maybe once these have worn they might get better but so far they aren't as good.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 19:06   #75
Dog_Book
Idiot

You have been driving cars for how long?

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 22:49   #76
Dazza007
Dazza007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
You have been driving cars for how long?
umm...14 years. Cant remember how long it takes to bed in, thought the men's where run in within a day or two. Am I wrong? If so how long should it take?
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 22:55   #77
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Strange! I have Brembo discs with Mintex pads on my S60 and they are just fine and dandy

Oh and they were less expensive than Volvo items..
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 19:28   #78
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
umm...14 years. Cant remember how long it takes to bed in, thought the men's where run in within a day or two. Am I wrong? If so how long should it take?
200 miles or so. You'd be lucky to notice any sort of stopping power within a week, and it'll bed in very gradually. 960KG's post on page 4 of this thread has a good reference about bedding in..... I was surprised how well it stopped when I did this, which goes to show how carefully I'd been braking for the 2 weeks prior.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...2&postcount=49

Last edited by baldmosher; Jul 2nd, 2012 at 19:39.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post: