Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is this right?

Views : 3498

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 21:24   #11
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodder View Post
how bad is the gdi engine,

it looks like what im after if it is the lux with all the toys. he claims its has the ecc, winter pack and so on.
I doubt he's making it up but don't worry about that

Here is a topic on the GDI

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...&highlight=GDI

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 21:26   #12
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
Vehicle Identification

Manufacturer: Volvo
Model: V40 Sport
Year: 2003
Colour: Grey
Fuel Type: Petrol
Engine Size (CC): 1834
VIN: Not available
V5C Issued: Not available

Tax

Tax Status: Licence Not Due
Expiry Date: 01/06/2012
Registration Date: 31/10/2003
6 Month Cost: £90.75
12 Month Cost: £165.00
where did you get this extra info from as i only know about the dvla one
madmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 21:28   #13
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
where did you get this extra info from as i only know about the dvla one
http://www.freecarcheck.org/

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 22:41   #14
madmodder

ok so i have had a good read and by the looks of it if its a gdi and showing problems steer clear, if its running fine then just some preventative maintance would keep it in good running order
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 22:46   #15
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
ok so i have had a good read and by the looks of it if its a gdi and showing problems steer clear, if its running fine then just some preventative maintance would keep it in good running order
Servicing is more expensive and if you do run into problems then it's not going to be cheap. Personally I wouldn't touch that engine with a barge pole. I have the 1.8 and the common issues owners face are the VVT pulleys, but regular oil changes will keep it at it's best and hopefully not fail.

If you do a lot of motorway miles then the GDI might not be that bad of a choice.

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 23:06   #16
madmodder

slightly higher servicing cost dont bother me, as i said before i will be doing most of the servicing myself.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 23:15   #17
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
slightly higher servicing cost dont bother me, as i said before i will be doing most of the servicing myself.
The 1-2k for a de-coke might

if you're lucky you'll find a place to do it for £500.

Up to yourself. Car looks great though

Last edited by Volvo2002; Jan 23rd, 2012 at 23:23.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 23:21   #18
madmodder

well i have an idea / plan of attack to help prevent that. Throttle / intake cleaner and a trusty toothbrush can go a long way, a good regular clean out of the throttle chamber, egr system and once in a while drop the inlet manafold off and give the head a good clean out through the ports should help keep the need for a de coke down. i rember that back in the early 80's a de coke was part of the standard servicing. will see what happens i guess i may live to regret this
The Following User Says Thank You to madmodder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 23:25   #19
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
well i have an idea / plan of attack to help prevent that. Throttle / intake cleaner and a trusty toothbrush can go a long way, a good regular clean out of the throttle chamber, egr system and once in a while drop the inlet manafold off and give the head a good clean out through the ports should help keep the need for a de coke down. i rember that back in the early 80's a de coke was part of the standard servicing. will see what happens i guess i may live to regret this
Since you're handy with cars I think you'll be fine. Regular thrashings will help and long runs.

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 23:36   #20
DWM
VOC Member

If it's 1834cc it IS the GDi - no doubt about that.

I wouldn't buy one myself but only because I'm not enough of a mechanic. There are relatively few GDi experts on here and with my very limited knowledge I'd rather be in the area of the Volvo engines where there's lots of help to be had if necessary.

BUT I wouldn't decline to buy one just on the basis that 'they're bound to get coked up and cause trouble'. In the GDi arena, judging only by reading on here for a couple of years, it's plain that you can trust people like Clan and 960kg and on that basis, if (as it seems) you are someone who knows what he is doing, and the car is not already problematic, these cars are not to be avoided just because they are GDis. Good luck.

But don't take my word for it; search and read on here as much as possible.