Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PO171 too lean

Views : 9227

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 18:54   #1
Wella Fella

Default PO171 too lean

Hi,

had the engine light on for a while now which shows PO171 fault code on 2Ltr T4. I've searched this forum for a fix but cannot seem to work this one out. I've done the following:

1) Searched every hose and pipe and cannot find any leaks - both physically removed and examined and sprayed joints with carb cleaner looking for dip in engine tone.
2) Replaced fuel filter - made no difference
3) Replaced post cat o2 sensor - made no difference
4) Cleaned out the idle control valve as it was rough at idle when cold - wasn't that dirty and made no difference.
5) Shouted and swore at the car - made no difference but I felt slightly better after a good rant. But the light is still on.

The car isn't running badly except as mentioned when it's cold when it judders and splutters but with some extra revs it shuts the hell up and gets on with it. No loss of power through normal driving.

I replaced the MAF about 2 years ago.

Please help with any suggestions !!! I'll try anything.
Wella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 19:10   #2
mitchyboy01
Premier Member

Is that hawkinge near Folkestone? I'm only down the road. Have you tried disconnecting the MAF from cold and seeing if it runs better? I can get your codes read Again if need be.
mitchyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 20:09   #3
960kg
Premier Member

What is your mileage ?

Sounds like weak fuel pump pressure, low.

Or if you fitted a copy MAF it could be that ?

Keith
I`m in Hythe!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 21:49   #4
Wella Fella

Yes Hawkinge near Folkestone and Hythe !!!

I've run it with the MAF disconnected and the DSA light comes on. A short while ago, the DSA light came on during normal driving with everything connected and again ran fine, but this went off. At this point, having done that with the MAF disconnected, I was convinced it was the MAF but the light went off in a few journeys and hasn't come on again since. This was before Christmas.

Volvo wanted over £350 for a new MAF back when that went so I laughed at the guy and went and bought a copy part from either AJAY's or Euro Part on Park Farm estate.

In essence though disonnecting the MAF makes little difference to the way it runs (apart from DSA light).

I'm so frustrated with it!!!

Someone said it could be the pre CAT O2 sensor??? Could that be the cause?
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 21:49   #5
Wella Fella

Forgot to say - mileage is nearing the big 100k.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 22:06   #6
mitchyboy01
Premier Member

Could be pre cat lambda. I have a spare lambda. Not sure if it's pre or post cat though?
mitchyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 21:56   #7
Wella Fella

OK, so all this time later, having had no joy finding air leaks or anything else, and the car running just fine with only very intermittent and barely noticable 'chugging' when cold, I finally bit the bullet and took it Volvo for their magic all knowing computer to reveal all. They told me PO171. Brilliant. No further forward now (but I managed to get them to do it for free!!!) Their parting shot was that this code is an absolute pain and it often takes a good number of hours to resolve it, but then they would say that wouldn't they!!!

They've suggested it could the the carbon deposits inside the engine causing the fault code. That doesn't really figure in my head as to how this could cause the lean reading. Any ideas???

Cars got 103k on the clock. Barely scraped through the emissions test last MOT and I wondering if that terraclean would be worth a shot?? I don't want to pay out for more stuff just to throw money away if there's no chance it will resolve the issue.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 22:02   #8
T4Rick
Premier Member

Ive got a 2.0t maf if you need one.Ive got my book of codes out and it says system to lean bank 1

I said a 10 second car not a 10 minute car

Chipped and rolling roaded at 221.9 hp at std boost
Horns relocated for better air flow with a Horn from a Vag,Coil overs fitted
T4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 11:25   #9
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wella Fella View Post
OK, so all this time later, having had no joy finding air leaks or anything else, and the car running just fine with only very intermittent and barely noticable 'chugging' when cold, I finally bit the bullet and took it Volvo for their magic all knowing computer to reveal all. They told me PO171. Brilliant. No further forward now (but I managed to get them to do it for free!!!) Their parting shot was that this code is an absolute pain and it often takes a good number of hours to resolve it, but then they would say that wouldn't they!!!

They've suggested it could the the carbon deposits inside the engine causing the fault code. That doesn't really figure in my head as to how this could cause the lean reading. Any ideas???

Cars got 103k on the clock. Barely scraped through the emissions test last MOT and I wondering if that terraclean would be worth a shot?? I don't want to pay out for more stuff just to throw money away if there's no chance it will resolve the issue.
Just trying to help ,if you go to Volvo again ,i use Ashford for my parts but go to Canterbury if i book the car in. They have more elderly really experienced mechanics there and are superb. Easy to get to via Stone Street, have a Google on the maps

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 15:51   #10
Wella Fella

Thanks all for your help. Still not established what the problem is but will update once I do.

Tags
engine light, lean, po171, smelly ball bags