Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PO171 too lean

Views : 9226

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2013, 14:01   #71
960kg
Premier Member

On the turbo the vacuum pipe is hard plastic and goes down to the nipple valve directly by the turbo inlet instead of to the inlet manifold. The high inrush of air past the valve results in a vacuum in the catch tank.

To cramped this pipe will damage it as it is nylon and will not spring back without being damaged. It should be 9mm in diameter.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 13:16   #72
Wella Fella

Thanks all - appreciate your advice. I'm pretty sure the PCV system is good now having replaced the oil trap, and pipes (but not the one shrouded in heat resistant foam becasue a) it was clear and unblocked and b) Volvo wanted £101 + VAT for it !!!).

I replaced the purge valve (£8 off ebay) and the engine runs better. Cleared code and 30 odd miles down the road, it's back.

I've got another one way valve that is shot that is grey and looks like a UFO shape. There's 2 of them and one is fitted from a small pipe that comes off the main hose from the MAF to the turbo. This pipe the Tee's into the purge valve for the evap stuff, and the T piece goes into the throttle body, and there is another of these grey valves before it goes into the throttle body.

Volvo had no idea what I was talking about, despite me producing the said valve to them. They cannot find it on their system. There are no part numbers on it. I am assuming they will be Volvo only parts.

Any one have any ideas what they are called/where I can get them/ part number etc???

The things I'm talking about can be seen on the the ICV thread cleaning guide at the link below. On picture number 2, its at the top of the image.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=74859
Wella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 14:31   #73
960kg
Premier Member

Do you go to Ashford Lipscombe?

If you do ask for Matt in the stores he is brilliant and he will find them, tell him they are in the Carbon Filter with Fittings page.....

Have you changed your MAF yet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carbon Filter.jpg (174.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 960kg; Jun 9th, 2013 at 14:33.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 13:36   #74
Wella Fella

Thanks so much for the diagram. Yes, went to Ashford and I told him it lead to the carbon canister. Said he'd call me but didn't. Nevermind. Not got the funds for a new MAF yet but the car's not throwing MAF codes. Once all the valves are sorted to be honest, I've only really got the MAF or fuel pump left on the list!!! It had a MAF no more than a year 18 months ago, albeit not a Volvo one.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 17:10   #75
KOPE

Well wella fella, I wait with anticipation on your resolving the idle problem cos I have just got a S40 which has a rough idle and kangaroos when pulling away until it picks up engine speed, my engine has done 180k, the previous owner had a diagnostic meter on it and it said 2 cylinders were not correct, and I have found 2 coils in the boot, so an attempt has been made to rectify it but failed it seems, so I am going to have a look over the engine bay and see if I can see something obvious if not I am going to wait to see if you have overcome the problem, I am in Capel le ferne, it seems strange that with all the Volvo's around that someone out there must have cured this in the past as the s40 is over 10yrs old.
KOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 22:42   #76
mikeyg

Thought i best update on the goings on with my code woes.

roll out the drums and fan fair as the light is no more and has been off for a few weeks.

When changing the spark plugs for genuine i noticed a crack in the ignition coil, i had been aware that this is a fairly common fault but in the past had been looking in the wrong place, i had been looking for cracks in the leads or top casing to the ignition coil rather than the 'stalk' . A temporary fix with insulation tape confirmed it after the car had had chance to do a good journey.

To all those who have helped me out and helped share my pain, THANKYOU.

Stick in there wella fella!! and thanks for the help.
mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeyg For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 16:21   #77
KOPE

Default Maf

I am pleased you are sorted, I too have 2 coils that have cracks, I am going to fit a new MAF I think as the diagnostic reader says low input and with it idling or at 2500 rpm it still reads 0 so we will see. Has anyone got a spare 2i MAF to try?
KOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 10:13   #78
Wella Fella

Smile Fixed!!!!!

I'll keep this short and sweet and refer to on of the earlier posts. Three little letters M.A.F.

Original Volvo MAF fitted and light has stayed off. Noticable better running and all sorted.

Thank so much for all the assistance and suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wella Fella For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 02:31   #79
syahizad

ya i also have that problem for twice.. the first one because of the MAF, one wire missing. and the second one is because MAP Sensor.

i even change the fuel filter and fuel pump. and finally is actually the MAP sensor
syahizad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine light, lean, po171, smelly ball bags