Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lambda light 850 t5

Views : 2014

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:16   #1
jamie28

Default Lambda light 850 t5

The Lambda light came on yesterday on the motorway ,no running problems and fuel consumption is normal, it might be coincidence but i topped the oil up to max that morning , im going to have a look later at the vacuum hoses etc im wondering what are the commom causes , also will it reset itself if i fix the fault?
jamie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:09   #2
iGGy

I changed my lambda a few weeks ago and have now had the light come on twice. Like you say, fuel consumption didn't increase on my motorway journey and the car ran fine. The ECU reported fault code 2-1-2, heated oxygen sensor signal absent or faulty. Today I took it out, it's made by Beru and put my old Bosch one back. Not tested it yet as I'm fighting a creak from the top NS suspension mount...all new parts and it creaks!

As it gets logged as a fault in the ECU you need to clear it. Depending on the age of your car it's either via the boxes behind the driver's headlight or the OBD port in the centre console.

Previously I've disconnected to reset the ECU, this doesn't get rid of the light, but supposedly clears the fuel map adaptives. Think I might just see what it does with the old sensor before resetting it.
iGGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:20   #3
jamie28

thanks for the info , this brings me on to another question are there any reasonably priced code readers/reset tools on the market? or do i have to find a dealer to reset the light? its got the obdII in the car
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:50   #4
iGGy

Bearing in mind that it's not OBD2 standard compliant, you can do it yourself. Bobcat did a nice howto here http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113

I just stick the wires in the holes and have a switch on flying leads.
iGGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 16:13   #5
jamie28

Well after a trip to maplings ive made up a code reader and im getting the fault code 3-1-1 the haynes manual says vehicle speed sensor (speedometer ) signal absent . the speedo works fine and its appeared before so im not to worried.

however code 2- 1- 2 oxygen sensor faulty, also appears i cannot reset the fault and i have cleaned the connector, still no luck.

wheres the best place to get a new oxygen sensor ? and am i correct in thinking there is only one fitted? on the downpipe before the cat?

ps:thanks for the code reader link, thats saved me 50 quid straight away.

james

Last edited by jamie28; Jun 12th, 2006 at 16:58.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 19:44   #6
jamie28

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=jamie28]Well after a trip to maplings ive made up a code reader and im getting the fault code 3-1-1 the haynes manual says vehicle speed sensor (speedometer ) signal absent . the speedo works fine and its appeared before so im not to worried.

however code 2- 1- 2 oxygen sensor faulty, also appears i cannot reset the fault and i have cleaned the connector, still no luck.

wheres the best place to get a new oxygen sensor ? and am i correct in thinking there is only one fitted? on the downpipe before the cat?

also can the oxygen sensors be bench tested to confirm they have failed?

ps:thanks for the code reader link, thats saved me 50 quid straight away.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 21:39   #7
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Replace only with a genuine Bosch part, use the 10 digit Bosch part number to source a correct replacement - the part no changed from the original. Search this forum the latest no. is on here somewhere.
Any Bosch agent should be able to get the part expect around £100.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 23:13   #8
bb54
diy bhp

re: resetting fuel/ignition/lambda light.

this can take a few goes mate, its tempromental.
when i did this recently with a phase 1 underbonnet diagnostic port that i adapted to work via the OBD II port under the coin holder... it took many attemts before realising that the after the first 5-6 second button hold down,
the light will come on after maybe two a second delay and it is when the light/audiable signal is presant that you press the button/connect wires for the second 5 seconds that actually clears the fault light and resets the fault codes.

this would not clear my "service light" but cleared lambda light and reset all engine fault codes tho.

wayne
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 23:13   #9
jamie28

thanks,
thats what ive beeen quoted for a bosch part, ive managed to clear the codes and the lambda light, if it comes back il replace the lambda probe.
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 10:10   #10
02GF74

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGGy View Post
Bearing in mind that it's not OBD2 standard compliant, you can do it yourself. Bobcat did a nice howto here http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113

I just stick the wires in the holes and have a switch on flying leads.
that link does not work - does anyone have a copy that they can post?

Thanks.

BTW the engine lamp has come on (Volvo 850 T5) after a drive through some flooded rods - the water was nowhere deep enough to get into the engine - my best guess is a senor under the car got wet or some steam due to water hitting hot exhaust got drawn into the intake and confused the sensor.

I have not noticed any different in engine performance after the light came on.

just about to investigate.....
02GF74 is offline   Reply With Quote