Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tayo's s40 T4 Phase 2

Views : 5184

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2014, 23:17   #1
T4Tayo
Half man, half potato

Default Tayo's s40 T4 Phase 2

Hi all, nice to meet ya!

First time Volvo driver here - bought a grey 2002 T4 Phase 2 yesterday. Really enjoying it so far (even tho I haven't really had a chance to test it out away from the traffic of the city).

As far as I know the only mod is a Forge dump valve. Can anyone spot any other mods? Is that an aftermarket splitter?

Some pics:

So, the only thing I'm a little uneasy about is that I noticed the v5 says it's a VOLVO / 145 E AUTO!! Well I'm pretty sure it's not a 1960's Volvo so I am a bit confused. Having said that, I have found a ton of people saying their v5s are incorrect and it's easy to get it fixed.

The VIN, HPI check and mileage history all look legit, along with all the receipts. The engine timing belt cover says B4204T5 as expected and the VIN reflects the correct engine.

Should I be freaking out? I looked up the MOT history online and it says it occurred the same day as an MOT was done back in 2007. I hear that it's pretty common for MOT technicians to make a mistake. Still, I don't really understand why the wrong model ended up on the v5 and hasn't been corrected in the last 7 years or so. Any ideas?

PS. Thanks for all the help this forum has given me so far (and in the future)! So handy reading advice from experienced owners
T4Tayo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T4Tayo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2014, 23:30   #2
kieran40
I've Been Banned

All it needs is some 17 inch arcadia's and a egg crate grill looks good mate or you can always do what I did and put aftermarket 17's on , I would have preferred the arcadia's but I couldn't find a set at the right price but it doesn't look awful or chav , youre splitter is factory mate
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2014, 23:40   #3
kieran40
I've Been Banned

The upgrades you can do to these cars t4tayo is amazing the sky is the limit, what interior have you got because there is platinum, wood effect, and black piano, also heated leather seats a cheap and easy upgrade both. You can get a sat nav radio, chrome ring instrument binacles. The platinum would look good in youres being a grey/ silver car but that's just me lol, you can also get Chrome door handles to replace the plastic ones a upgrade that is on my to do list but it can wait lol. You can do a hell lot more if you have the knowledge money etc, gatos has upgraded to a high level.

Last edited by kieran40; Nov 13th, 2014 at 23:49.
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 00:04   #4
T4Tayo
Half man, half potato

Agreed on the arcadias.. they would look nice with the grey paint work. I better start saving I'm liking the black and gold colour combo on yours tho.

At first I just wanted a car... but I think I now have the bug and want to make it a super clean and tidy example with a few subtle mods. Egg crate grille is a good place to start, and clear bumper side lights.

Think my interior is piano black but will take some photos tomo. It's got black leather seats too, with heated front seats Chrome interior bits would be nice. I'm trying to imagine chrome door handles against the grey but can't quite picture it...

Can't wait until the weekend so I can clean it and fix some minor issues (and go for spin in the countryside)
The Following User Says Thank You to T4Tayo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 00:49   #5
kieran40
I've Been Banned

The bug hits like the flu beleive me lol
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 01:00   #6
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Tayo View Post
I'm trying to imagine chrome door handles against the grey but can't quite picture it...
Here you go! Titanium grey comes up a treat, the 'run' on my door is a post across the road.lol!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 09:22   #7
dcw
VOC Member

Looks good!

Like the others have said, you have a wealth of options - I'd suggest that an egg-crate grill and clear side-markers will have the most "updating" effect on the exterior.

Wheels - if you can find some Arcadias, they look great - just have the 16" Craters on mine as I want to keep it "all Volvo" and no Arcadias at right condition/price have come up at the right time for me, and I have just put new tyres on my existing wheels now, so that upgrade won't be happening for some time, if ever

Chrome ringed dials came in in 2003 - they make a surprisingly large difference to the instrument panel over the plain grey ones. The picture attached was when I fitted them; mine has just turned 95,000 miles now.

HU1205 radio/cd/sat nav is good, albeit the sat nav part is old and clunky (still works fine though as long as you allow for the roads having been altered in places as you go long).

As has been confirmed, that's the standard splitter.

I understand your concerns about the paperwork but it sounds to me as if there is enough evidence that all sits together that you can just conclude the V5 is wrong - as so many are.

All the best with her - nice to see another T4 owner joining us; the numbers seem to be going up!

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chrome dial rings 2.jpg (216.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Winnie NYM 7 May 2013.jpg (312.3 KB, 19 views)
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 16:41   #8
Dog_Book
Idiot

Lovely car, get that dump valve removed and it will be faster

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 18:52   #9
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

That is a properly clean engine bay.
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 21:09   #10
T4Tayo
Half man, half potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Here you go! Titanium grey comes up a treat, the 'run' on my door is a post across the road.lol!
Damn those posts... they always seem to jump out at inappropriate moments :/

Cheers for the pic. very tempting. Gonna have to wait for next months pay check tho.