Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Improving steering "feel"

Views : 2541

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 20:21   #1
jco

Default Improving steering "feel"

I think most would agree that the V70 has reasonable (for the size) handling but lacks steering "feel"
Has anyone tried any relatively minor mods such as different bushes or strut braces which have made an improvement
I don't want a major upgrade but sometimes just a tweak can help
jco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 16:29   #2
dolphian

- change suspension
- change tires
- larger rims
- spoiler
dolphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 18:48   #3
KiwiRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphian View Post
- change suspension
- change tires
- larger rims
- spoiler
Sounds like you are describing the R design
KiwiRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 17:42   #4
jco

Thanks dolphian but
a) sounds like a bit more than a tweak
b) not sure its getting to the heart of the problem
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 13:56   #5
Sanzomat

Changing bushes/adding a strut brace are only tweaks then?
I've no complaints about the feel from my RD - only the amount of tendency to follow road imperfections, but I suppose that is a common problem with low profile tyres.

Changing tyre brands can have a huge effect on feel. My last car (Audi A6) felt horrible on Contis but felt like a completely different car on bridgestones. I bought the Bridgestones 'cos they were much cheaper but was so glad I did. I'm surprised that Audi put Conti on from new as IMHO they didn't suit the car but I guess it could just be personal preference.
Sanzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 14:15   #6
littlevillage

Jco ... There are many Threads on this community regarding improving the Feel of the V70... A known shortcoming. A couple of simple things you can do

- carefully select Tyres
- Wheel Alignment
littlevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to littlevillage For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 15:44   #7
dodgyken
Master Member

I agree that the V70 steering is poor - there is just no feel - and I can't work out what can be done to change that. I have 2 sets of wheels - and the car doesn't feel any better when on bigger or smaller wheels.

The problem you have is that the car has a big heavy engine slung ahead of the front axle which requries hefty power assistance. Even with the assistance turned to be "Big hulking giant" the steering only ever feels heavy and not tactctile. Having driven cars with a good steering it is amazing the difference it can make to how a car feels.

I am not convinced stiffening the front end will help too much.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgyken For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 10:46   #8
jco

Agree about tyres and wheel alignment - whell alignment experiments are reasonably cheap but tyres is a different game at 6 - 800 a set (could just do the fronts I suppose)
Also no 2 opinions are ever the same on tyres as far as I can see
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 15:17   #9
gtr1000

I'd start with the least expensive option, ie. global geometry set up, NOT a simple alignment. http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/tec...ignsystems.php

Cost for this is about £60 + VAT. There's more bedtime reading under the "technical" section of the above link.

Take my other car for example, a Vectra 3.2 V6 GSi. Even with new tyres on (Uniroyal Rainsport 2, 225/45/17), the car felt like it was hinged in the middle. A full global set-up transformed the car into what it should have been from day one.

Then move on to lowered springs (-35 or 40mm) front and rear with Bilstein B4 or B6 dampers to match. Then polyeurothane suspension bushes all round if you can find them or get them machined.
gtr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 12:47   #10
jco

Thanks GTR1000 - I wondered about these poly bushes - that was part of the question