Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Gearbox - change gearbox oil or not ??

Views : 33178

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2010, 20:29   #1
gasc2188

Default XC90 Gearbox - change gearbox oil or not ??

Just wondered if anybody knew a definitive answer to this one. My gearbox oil on my 2005 XC90 D5 (auto) was a brown'ish colour and I made the decision to change it. I opted for Amsoil which i saw lots of postive feeback on this site for. I changed the oil using the "Gibbons" method and all was well.

I then needed to take my car to the dealer regarding something totally unconnected. I got talking to the service manager and mentioned the gearbox oil and the fact I had changed the oil. "FATAL MISTAKE" he said. In fact I can still hear his voice now :-(

Since then I have been paranoid about the gearbox and thinking it may pack up on me at any time. I must say the gear change is smooth with no strange noises.......but one thing is worrying me. When I come to a stop and the XC is stationary, I remain static by keeping me foot on the footbrake (albeit the car is still in drive). If I'm correct doesnt this disengage the gearbox. When I come to move off, if I take my foot off the brake and immediately acclelerate without waiting a second for the gearbox to engage, there is a bit of a jolt in the take off. Alternatively if i take my foot off the brake and give it a second for the gearbox to engage, the take off is smooth.

Is this normal or is something wrong? With regards the oil change, Volvo seem to think this is a bad idea....whose right and whose wrong. They said by changing the gearbox oil, its like adding new anti freeze into a cooling system with flaws i.e. the new stuff will find all the problems.

Any advice pleeeease. Am i just a paranoid XC90 driver or have I got to start saving for a repair bill sometime soon?
gasc2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasc2188 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 21:03   #2
400-ascona
Premier Member

There is a risk of dislodging contaminants and causing valves to stick. However for me the risks don't outweigh the benefits. If your oil is discoloured, its not at its best. The system has a filter on it too, so would expect that to do its job too. I would do it, but at the end of the day it has to be your decision.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 21:08   #3
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

I think the dealer is trying to scare you it makes a big difference to 99 % of boxs
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RT Mechanics For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 16:35   #4
amsoil

Nothing new there then;
The knowledge and 'advice' that comes from many of these 'experts' is frankly shocking. There are very few real mechanics left today. Most are what I would call fitters. Perhaps that is a little unfair on the few, but it is how servicing works nowdays; and not just servicing, also the way cars are designed and made.
A track rod end with a grease nipple properly serviced will always outlast a sealed for life joint, but... in the real world such care fails to be lavished and the serviceable joints invariably fail first.
The same with modern auto boxes. Far better than the older sort but requiring a better fluid. So they made the 'sealed for life' units knowing that they would outlast a unit requiring attention that didn't get it. But sealed for life is not actually that, it means good for 100,000 miles, after which or even about which it is on borrowed tiime with its fluids shot. It doesn't need an engineer to explain or indeed understand that a fluid change here will extend the life of the gearbox. But then why should some people be interested with extending the life of a time served unit when they can sell you a new car or at the very least sell you a new box and keep there fitters employed doing just that, fitting it.
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amsoil For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 17:00   #5
altajeli

I changed the auto fluid on my v70 d5 116k when I bought it in April 2010, it was a VERY dark brown colour and considerably thicker that the bright red oil I bought from volvo (although expensive). I have also recently drained out another 3.5lts and replaced with new, all with no probs at 124K. For the sake of about £35 for 4lts of oil I plan to do this simple job once a year to preserve the box for as long as poss!

Incidentaly I have another issue regarding it cutting out! but thats another post!
altajeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 19:03   #6
1HCC

today I ask my indy garage about a gear box oil change(2004 d5 geartronic), after consulting the main dealer they have informed me that it can only be done by volvo, the oil is drained, gearbox flushed, oiled up, drained again, filled, run to the correct temp.80 degrees I think they said, levels checked, then diagnostics used to reset the system(reset what i dont no), the indy diagnostics can open this part of the on board computer?

My question is, Is this the case or is volvo trying to rob the work from the indy garage,
has any one done this their self and has anything needed resetting?
1HCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1HCC For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 19:21   #7
andymac5

Smile VOLVO XC90 2003 AUTO -EMPTY TRANSMISION and REFIL

I had the message Transmission Service Urgent and Transmission needs service, its an old car 93k miles on the clock.

Its the 4 speed auto 2.9 t6 awd.

I thought I may as well try the gear oil change I purchased 9 liters of Carlube Dexron 111 on ebay £41 pound.

I proceeded to remove protection tray from beneath the gradually removed all the 10mm bolts holding the sump being careful not to damage the gasket of course using few containers to catch the old oil which was dark brown and should be red.

I then cleaned the sump cover it had grey sludge also cleaned the inner parts of gearbox that I could get too I could see using tissue.
I then put it all back together and refilled using a funnel from the top very easy to get too using dip stick hole.

I then test drove and to my amazement all faults cleared hazard lights stay off and now runs perfect.

lucky me .

its not a full flush

hope it works for you

happy days its great when things work

pics attatched
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump volvo 1.jpg (56.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3674.jpg (195.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg XC90 DIP STICK.jpg (265.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3685.jpg (151.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg car lube.jpg (18.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by andymac5; Mar 16th, 2017 at 21:07.
andymac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 23:15   #8
ifzal123

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac5 View Post
I had the message Transmission Service Urgent and Transmission needs service, its an old car 93k miles on the clock.

Its the 4 speed auto 2.9 t6 awd.

I thought I may as well try the gear oil change I purchased 9 liters of Carlube Dexron 111 on ebay £41 pound.

I proceeded to remove protection tray from beneath the gradually removed all the 10mm bolts holding the sump being careful not to damage the gasket of course using few containers to catch the old oil which was dark brown and should be red.

I then cleaned the sump cover it had grey sludge also cleaned the inner parts of gearbox that I could get too I could see using tissue.
I then put it all back together and refilled using a funnel from the top very easy to get too using dip stick hole.

I then test drove and to my amazement all faults cleared hazard lights stay off and now runs perfect.

lucky me .

its not a full flush

hope it works for you

happy days its great when things work

pics attatched

Hi

Is this the same oil as JWS3309?

Only reason i ask is that i have the D5 version and have about 8 liters of mobil JWS3309 left.

My friend has a 2004 t6 2.9L and was wondering if he could use it for his XC90
ifzal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 23:44   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifzal123 View Post
Hi

Is this the same oil as JWS3309?

Only reason i ask is that i have the D5 version and have about 8 liters of mobil JWS3309 left.

My friend has a 2004 t6 2.9L and was wondering if he could use it for his XC90
I don't think so , the Carlube JWS3309 juice is designated ATF-U.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 12:06   #10
Mark mc

My 05 D5 now has 193,000 on the clock and has never had the ATF changed. Refurbed engine a year (20,000 miles) ago.

Delay on take off but otherwise tickertyboo. I know I'm living on borrowed time, but I've been told it'll do more harm then good changing it now....
Mark mc is offline   Reply With Quote