Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help fault code ECM 6805

Views : 17723

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 18:18   #1
davew993

Default Help fault code ECM 6805

Hi can anyone help me. I have a 2005 D5 163ps xc90.

i am getting a fault with my car that sometimes when i tow a caravan up a hill and the cars speed slows to 54 mph the car kicks down and puts Engine service light on and goes into limp mode. i keep throttle in same position and after 30 sec to 1 min it clears fault and light goes off dash and it back to normal!!

i have changed rear engine pad, hoses to pads and sensors, govenor on front of head and sensor on air cleaner box that pipes go to and it still does it but only when towing.

each time it does it fault code ECM 6895 - boost pressure control intermitant fault is logged.

i am pulling what hair i have left out now lol

can anyone point me in direction of what poss could be wrong please.

thanks
Dave
davew993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 18:30   #2
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Try the fuel filter seems to come up quite often
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 18:39   #3
davew993

Hi thanks for reply.

Did think about fuel filter but thought that would do it all the time not just when towing plus thought that might put up fuel pressure fault code not boost pressure!!

think i will try it though as it seems to be common issue.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 18:44   #4
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

the list is not endless and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
check the following.
engine pads both front and rear blockl them off.
pipe to turbo from air box can close when under load if its soft it will proberbly need a new one.
intercooler is it split at the bottom.
what is your driving style like it could be the the vnt is sticking on the turbo to check this use a mittivac..
do a search on that code and you will find some interesting reading and fixes .
hope that helps.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...hlight=ecm6805
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Aug 22nd, 2011 at 18:47.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 19:08   #5
davew993

Thanks for your reply an link. I read your post on the link and it way over my head but i will show it to the guy who works on my car.

The air pipe to turbo do you mean the small one down back of engine or the one that fits onto air box then onto silver metal pipe?
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 20:01   #6
Genghis
Genghis

Dave - sounds like you have the same issue a few of us have. See the Engine service light appears thread
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 20:15   #7
davew993

Hi All,

I tried to contact Volvo UK tech help today regarding this issue a few of us are having but didnt get anywhere. Just got told take to Volvo dealer and they will contact tech support if needed.

I will be changing fuel filter tom and then testing next week towing caravan. I will then report if this cures problem for me or not.

If that does not cure fault i will then try replacing air intake pipes.

That will only then leave turbo and vac pump!!!

Oh what joy lol
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 22:58   #8
mechtech

Default mechtech

Hi All, Getting the "Engine service required" message up on the DISP of recently required high mileage s60. Have read through some of the previous threads relating to this code but have a question. The car drives A1 with no loss of power etc which others seems to have experienced with this code.

I had the local garage plug the car in and 2 codes were logged;

1, ECM 6805 boost pressure control

2, permanent fault 1, 930a clutch position fault sensor (faulty signal permanent)

Firstly , I assume these 2 codes are completley independent of each other, eg. if i get the clutch sensor replaced it's not going to remove the code for the boost control?

secondly, from reading the previous threads on the ECM 6805 code it would appear that the Turbo Control Govenor is the most likley thing to throw this code? would this be the first port of call to replace? only it's £110 and i don't have any driving faults with the vehicle, but obviously don't want it to get worse and also want to get rid of the "engine service required" message!

If anyone could advise me on the above, it'd be greatly appreciated.
mechtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 23:11   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

I haven't had the ECM fault but I know there's lots on here about it.
With the clutch sensor fault, I'm assuming your cruise control doesn't work. If not, a new position sensor will almost definitely sort that.
They're £40 from a main dealer and can be fitted by you in 5 minutes.
The two faults you have, won't be related unfortunately.
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 22:51   #10
RojHud

With the Engine Service required notification.... and limp home problem, there is a wealth of info on the D5 Engine section, but ....after going through all the suggestions ...including a new turbo input pipe, filter etc...

I finally tracked it down to an EGR fault, cleaned out the pipes from the EGR to the engine air intake and replaced the dump valve (which sits behind the big fat hosepipe at the front of the engine) Got a pair from scrapyard for 30 quid - all the same,but don't be tempted to fit the cheaper Skoda one - get a pirburg one for the volvo from the scrappers.
I then bought a blanking plate with a smaller hole off E-bay for 3 quid and fitted it after cleaning the pipes out (again)

Result - pulls like a train again ! started to trust it overtaking traffic.

Regards

Last edited by RojHud; Sep 16th, 2014 at 22:55. Reason: added dump valve details
RojHud is offline   Reply With Quote