Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No oil pressure warning only at startup

Views : 405

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2017, 09:14   #1
Popeye2468

Default No oil pressure warning only at startup

Ok here's my issue

If I leave my car to sit for a while lets say 12 hours or more and I go to start it I get red triangle with message saying no oil pressure, this message goes off as quickly as it comes on probably on for 1 second, the message will then not reappear until it is left for a while again and only ever happens on startup

When it happens the car runs a bit rough but if I turn it off then back on it doesn't

After searching a lot on Google there seems to be a lot if things it can be but those are for people that have it coming on intermittently whilst driving. I do not have this issue

Can anyone recommend any suggestions? Or has anyone had this issue and fixed it?

The m&s in advance
Popeye2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 11:00   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

First thing to do is check oil level

Second thing is to do an oil change and ensure the right oil (not too thin) is being used. Make sure you change the oil filter too, wonder if the filter is a bit clogged?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 18:07   #3
oragex
Premier Member

Which engine/miles is this? The intermittent light may well show at startup when the oil pump starts running. Given the rough idling at that moment, it may not be just a faulty sensor for example. I haven't read for this exact behavior elsewhere, so I'd be careful and try finding the issue quickly. As above, the first thing I'd do is a careful inspection of the oil filter: it is clogged? if so, it may be an issue with the filter bypass valve (on the oil pan side). At worst, a clogged pickup mesh (think PCV) or a weak oil pump (quite rare on these engines).
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 08:00   #4
Popeye2468

Ok my engine is 2.4 D5 163bhp done 168k

I checked the oil and it was indeed low I only had .6 of a litre left from previous service which I did on this car 4k ago. The message did not reappear until this morning, so I need to put some more in.

The oil I'm using is comma 5w30 is that the right oil? I.e. thickness etc.

After I had done service I found I had holes in my intercooler which I replaced, a boost leak which was fixed and a dodgy turbo governor which was replaced about 1k ago. But the whole time these things were broken I was overboosting, would that explain the oil consumption?

The car is not idling rough and when I put the extra oil in it was accelerating smoothly. But when the message appears and it goes on and off so quick, the car accelerates roughly, best way to explain is vibration on the foot.

Is it normal to use oil that quick due to the high mileage?
Should I be using a thicker oil and if so can I just add it to the oil already in there or do a full change again?

The car starts first time every time and very quickly with no hesitation
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 08:00   #5
Popeye2468

Ok so I don't think it has anything to do with the oil level

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy and possibly a how to on changing the o rings and cleaning the mesh from the oil pan

Please and thank you