Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 Starting from cold problem

Views : 22799

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:07   #1
Andyoz

Default S60 D5 Starting from cold problem

Have noticed my S60 D5 has difficulty starting in the morning when it has been very cold over night, i.e less than about 5 deg.

It happended a few times about a month ago when we had a cold snap. The engine needed to be turned over at least 3 to 4 times to get it going.

The problem's back this morning after a particularly cold night and she won't start at all at the moment. I am waiting a few hours for the temperatue to increase to see if she starts. It's going to have to been seen to ASAP and I want to give the mechanic as much info on the pattern of the problem as possible.

Anyone else experienced similar?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 21:08   #2
2.4TSE
Master Member

Default RE: S60 D5 Starting from cold problem

You don't mention the age of your car but I have read in the press and on the web of a problem with injectors failing on D5 engines older than three years. This manifests as difficult starting.

I sincerely hope that this is not your problem as the cure is five new injectors and a wallet £1500 lighter.

Good luck.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 21:17   #3
Andyoz

Thanks,

It's a late 2002 so excactly 3 years old.

Got her started later in the day after the ambient air temp. had increased. Mechanic says it may be the heater plugs so will wait and see if it happens again to see if it's definately temperature related.

At one stage today we thought it may be the fuel pump which is pricey but your story about the injectors tops that.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 22:15   #4
2.4TSE
Master Member

No worries.

For info I have spent a few minutes to dig out a thread on the same subject from Volvospy. This thread includes a link I posted to another website which was one of the first where I read of the problem.

Since first posting the hyperlink a few minutes ago I have realised that it is in a frame so this technique won't work.
So, instead:

Open page http://www.volvospy.com/frameset.php...ospy_newv70c70
Select "Search this forum" at the top of the page
Enter search string D5 injector
Choose date option "Search the whole archive"
Press Search.

There is only one result so you can't go wrong.

Am most interested to hear how you get on with resolution; my brother drives a D5 - currently working beautifully - just coming up to three years old.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 11:39   #5
Andyoz

Thanks for that.

I am hoping my problem is not the same as I definately think it's temp. related. On mild mornings, it starts fine and it runs like a dream with no obvious power problems.

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 16:05   #6
PAZ3154
Glad to be back

i'm afraid injectors would be the most likely problem. have a word with your local friendly dealer and they may be able to get volvo to contribute some or even all of the cost of a new set. i managed to convince them to pay the full bill for one of my customers recently. like yourself his car was just out of warranty. as it is such a common problem a bit of grovelling can often do the trick ;-)
PAZ3154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 16:25   #7
Andyoz

Thanks for the info.

Still confused as to if it is the injectors, why is it worse on cold mornings?

If it is the injectors, I better get onto it fast as I'm up to 72,000 miles so the definition of "just out of warranty" will be tested.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 23:02   #8
PAZ3154
Glad to be back

all sorts of things seem to cause these injectors to fail. i'm not really sure if volvo ever have really solved the mystery. they have speculated on the quality of fuel used as being a likely suspect,which would seem a fair assumption.in theory i suppose if the fuel you're using was more prone to waxing in the cold weather it could clog the injectors or slow down their opening times.currently their solution is to simply fit a new apparently improved type and so far i've seen no further problems occur. the suggestion on glow plugs is unlikely as it hasn't really been cold enough so far for these to operate (at least not where i live!). it's something like below 3 degrees before they need to operate.
do let us know how you get on if you speak to the dealer. if you get no joy try contacting customer relations yourself.you may be surprised! :-)
PAZ3154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:18   #9
Andyoz

She started on Tues morning after three separate key turns but it wasn't as cold as Monday when she wouldn't go at all.

It was very cold this morning and she wouldn't start at all first up in the morning. By the time the local mechanic came up at 10am, temp had increased a bit and she finally started after alot of cranking. We noted that when it did start, there was no crappy smoke out of the exhaust and the mechanical straight away thought if was a fuel supply problem, either high pressure pump or injectors.

Being in N Ireland there are only two Volvo dealerships and the nearest one is 1-hour away. I have talked to one service deptartment and they have already indicated over the phone that injectors are the main suspect based on my description of the probelm.

they checked the Volvo computer database using my chassis no. reference and that my car falls into the group of cars that have been "tagged" as having potential injector problems. Interestingly, they also indicated that Volvo should fit at least some of the bill if that is indeed the problem. So yes, this is a known problem.

They are going to need to have the car for a few days so he is trying to get it booked in ASAP and I have to call him later.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 13:59   #10
Andyoz

The latest is the dealership has offered that Volvo will pay 50% of the cost for new injectors so I would be up for £750. They said they had done about half a dozen early D5's with injector problems so there's something of a trend there but not a full on recall situation.

They were very helpful and recommended ringing Volvo UK head office (Customer Relations I assume) to try to get a bigger discount. A 50% discount sounds like "standard" Volvo discount for cars just out of warranty so that's all the dealership could offer.

Jon W. - any hints how to handle Volvo HQ customer relations would be MUCH appreciated. I am not one to blast down the phone any pour sole on the other but will hold my ground if I have to.

If I got a discount of between 100% and 75% I'd be happy at this stage as it is 12,000 mileas out of warrenty