Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 816801

Replies : 1193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2017, 23:31   #1061
Flyingfox

We have an XC90 R-design with 19" alloys on. I'd like to try some all season tyres on them but unfortunately the range available in the 255/50 R19 size is extremely limited. Having spent sometime looking around and, as most of the driving is on road, I'd like to try a set of the Pirelli Verde AS's.
However, they only seem to come in 103V or 107H XL. Could either be fitted to the XC90 and if so, which would be the better option?

Last edited by Flyingfox; Aug 28th, 2017 at 02:15.
Flyingfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 23:42   #1062
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfox View Post
We have an XC90 R-design with 19" alloys on. I'd like to some all season tyres on them but unfortunately the range available in the 255/50 R19 size is extremely limited. Having spent sometime looking around and, as most of the driving is on road, I'd like to try a set of the Pirelli Verde AS's.
However, they only seem to come in 103V or 107H XL. Could either be fitted to the XC90 and if so, which would be the better option?
You need to check the numbers....

The letter (V or H) is the maximum speed rating (H being 130mph and V being 149 mph). I think I'm correct in saying that UK XC90's were limited to 120 mph and the speed limit is 70 anyway so no worries there.

The number is the load (weight) rating - 103 being 875 Kg and 107 being 1000Kb (hence the XL designation). You need to check the maximum axle weights on the cars VIN plate and halve it - but from memory I think both will be okay.

As to which is best? Probably not a lot in it but the 103V is likely to be a slightly softer tyre and give a better ride.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 00:43   #1063
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfox View Post
We have an XC90 R-design with 19" alloys on. I'd like to some all season tyres on them but unfortunately the range available in the 255/50 R19 size is extremely limited. Having spent sometime looking around and, as most of the driving is on road, I'd like to try a set of the Pirelli Verde AS's.
Take a look at www.camskill.co.uk quite a selection on there

Showing 255/55/19 111h xl on there ....£115.00 per corner not bad just a thought ...

I know yours are 50's so I cant advise as to whether the 2.5mm difference all round from a 50 is really relevant others may be able to advise ....my verde AS are 107xl flavour are 18's so pretty cheap from there for me.

Running 18s for the past 3 years and some 37k miles later I have no hesitation about shodding my beast with them again.

I posted recently about probably having to renew again soon but I just dont seem to be able to wear them out.....however ...I am talking about 18's but I should think the 19's should last just as well....a very capable tyre in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

PS If you do end up buying them you may want to consider running them on 39psi NITROGEN...it makes a noticeable difference on ride quality to just 39psi air and I have found an xl wall helps iron out bounce from pot hole encounters.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Aug 28th, 2017 at 00:49.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 02:51   #1064
Flyingfox

Thanks,

I'm at a bit of a loss (as has been discussed in the forums already) because neither the XC90 handbook or placard in the car are referenced to load or speed ratings only tyre sizes but if you check the suggested tyres via a website it comes up with a 255/50R19 107W rating....?

I'll check the axle ratings on the plate tomorrow although, as you suggest Tannaton, I think 103 is sufficient. Similarly, the H rating is, as far as I can ascertain, higher than the design speed of 127mph.
Which brings me back round to why do tyre websites suggest a 107W?
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 03:32   #1065
xco
Premier Member

Just a shot in the dark but I don't know if the 107 w might be a hang over from the V8 days maybe and also maybe an American preference (I don't know what site you looked on)...I don't know what the top speed of the V8 was but was quicker than the diesels and must have put quite a stress on the tyres I guess....

Regarding the XL rating...from my point of view is just personal preference. ...I don't tow but when I bought the car it had 2 good rosso's fitted and 2 odd tyres so I decided to renew all. None of these were XL walled (don't forget the xl tyres have reinforced walls which was my reason also for buying)and there was a definite different feel to the car before and after the new tyres were fitted.
Having had cars before fitted with XL walled tyres and noticing that they helped stop bounce on rough or pot holed roads I applied the idea to my XC90 and am pleased I did.

Last edited by xco; Aug 28th, 2017 at 03:37.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 12:18   #1066
Flyingfox

Do the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S have an M+S marking on them? If so, does this mean they can be classed as winter tyres and thus a lower speed rating can be fitted with no issues?

Last edited by Flyingfox; Aug 28th, 2017 at 12:24.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 14:21   #1067
xco
Premier Member

Yes they are m&s marked but a true winter tyre will always better an all season variety.
There are videos on YouTube showing the verde As's in use ....you will have to decide for yourself if they are adequate for your needs.

Bear in mind that AS tyres are fitted to be left on all the time instead of changing to Winter tyres seasonally saving on cost of having to purchase separate rims and winter tyres and time on having to fit them.

Last edited by xco; Aug 28th, 2017 at 14:33.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 20:04   #1068
Flyingfox

So it looks like the max weight is 2770kg so with equal weight distribution that would be 1385kg per axle or 692.5kg per tyre?
If you do 60/40 split to allow for the heavier front end = Front 1662kg (831kg/tyre); Rear 1108kg (554kg/tyre).
So a 103 rating of 875kg should still be high enough for the tyres.
I would have preferred to go with the 107's but with a speed rating of "H" when a "W" or "V" is recommended it makes me slightly nervous - not for technical but insurance reasons........However, if they were a winter tyre, an "H" would be perfectly fine (as the lower rating is permissible on a winter tyre) even if you used it year round - go figure!
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 20:47   #1069
xco
Premier Member

Give your insurance company a ring and see what they say.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 10:23   #1070
Flyingfox

So Admiral tell me that they don't take any details on tyres and that it would only be classed as a modification if the size were changed (which in this case it won't) so a 107H tyre is acceptable to them.