Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Gearbox - change gearbox oil or not ??

Views : 33198

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 12:27   #21
Coldrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrr View Post
I have really mixed experiences with auto gear box oil being replaced on other cars (especially BMWs with ZF boxes). Failing shortly after replacing (10kkm).

Usually due to the wrong spec of oil being used. The same would be true if for instance you put plain old Dexron III in the Volvo...
Coldrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 14:26   #22
amsoil

Most cars now have sealed for life auto boxes, 'Life' is generally considered by the manufacturers as 100,000 miles. Many Jaguars fail at the 85-95K mark and many people start to have the harsh or jerky changes or even delay and slipping changes at the 80K mark. You might consider it prudent to change the ATF at 80K -100K mark even with no signs of deterioration in changing.
The available ATF's are either mineral or semi synthetic (whatever that is ?) with Amsoil doing a top of the range full synthetic which is detergent based. Any new fluid will be an improvement on worn out fluid, but if you have had or started to have auto box problems consider Amsoil as the detergents will strip out the varnishes and sludges that impair proper operation of both clutches and valves, an ATF that is not a detergent base cannot do this. A further consideration is that if towing Amsoil can take an additional 100 degrees of heat without deterioration, we believe its the best and you generally get what you pay for.
As always your car your choice.
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:53   #23
andymac5

Hi,what is the gibbons method and does anyone have any pics showing how.Thanks
andymac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 12:01   #24
ifzal123

Hi

There is loads of info on you tube and on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WfY8MQc1B8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leBtEnEDAtc
ifzal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 19:21   #25
andymac5

Smile VOLVO XC90 2003 AUTO -EMPTY TRANSMISION and REFIL

I had the message Transmission Service Urgent and Transmission needs service, its an old car 93k miles on the clock.

Its the 4 speed auto 2.9 t6 awd.

I thought I may as well try the gear oil change I purchased 9 liters of Carlube Dexron 111 on ebay £41 pound.

I proceeded to remove protection tray from beneath the gradually removed all the 10mm bolts holding the sump being careful not to damage the gasket of course using few containers to catch the old oil which was dark brown and should be red.

I then cleaned the sump cover it had grey sludge also cleaned the inner parts of gearbox that I could get too I could see using tissue.
I then put it all back together and refilled using a funnel from the top very easy to get too using dip stick hole.

I then test drove and to my amazement all faults cleared hazard lights stay off and now runs perfect.

lucky me .

its not a full flush

hope it works for you

happy days its great when things work

pics attatched
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump volvo 1.jpg (56.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3674.jpg (195.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg XC90 DIP STICK.jpg (265.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3685.jpg (151.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg car lube.jpg (18.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by andymac5; Mar 16th, 2017 at 21:07.
andymac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 23:15   #26
ifzal123

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac5 View Post
I had the message Transmission Service Urgent and Transmission needs service, its an old car 93k miles on the clock.

Its the 4 speed auto 2.9 t6 awd.

I thought I may as well try the gear oil change I purchased 9 liters of Carlube Dexron 111 on ebay £41 pound.

I proceeded to remove protection tray from beneath the gradually removed all the 10mm bolts holding the sump being careful not to damage the gasket of course using few containers to catch the old oil which was dark brown and should be red.

I then cleaned the sump cover it had grey sludge also cleaned the inner parts of gearbox that I could get too I could see using tissue.
I then put it all back together and refilled using a funnel from the top very easy to get too using dip stick hole.

I then test drove and to my amazement all faults cleared hazard lights stay off and now runs perfect.

lucky me .

its not a full flush

hope it works for you

happy days its great when things work

pics attatched

Hi

Is this the same oil as JWS3309?

Only reason i ask is that i have the D5 version and have about 8 liters of mobil JWS3309 left.

My friend has a 2004 t6 2.9L and was wondering if he could use it for his XC90
ifzal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 23:44   #27
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifzal123 View Post
Hi

Is this the same oil as JWS3309?

Only reason i ask is that i have the D5 version and have about 8 liters of mobil JWS3309 left.

My friend has a 2004 t6 2.9L and was wondering if he could use it for his XC90
I don't think so , the Carlube JWS3309 juice is designated ATF-U.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 12:06   #28
Mark mc

My 05 D5 now has 193,000 on the clock and has never had the ATF changed. Refurbed engine a year (20,000 miles) ago.

Delay on take off but otherwise tickertyboo. I know I'm living on borrowed time, but I've been told it'll do more harm then good changing it now....
Mark mc is offline   Reply With Quote