Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential C70 T5 Owner with a few queries :)

Views : 1229

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:19   #1
BigRich

Question Potential C70 T5 Owner with a few queries :)

Hi All
Over last few weeks I've become drawn toward a C70 T5 as my new commuter - for the money they seem excellent value but just have a few questions - hope you can advise:

Manual or Auto? - reading through posts dosen't seem to be any issues with either but have always been a manual man My drive will be mostly A road and motorways with a few short stints of town driving however would like to get the best economy I can - is either better suited?

GT Spec - seen a few ads and alot of non GT spec cars seem to have specs very similar. Is there anything a GT car has that a non GT definately wouldn't be available with? Have come across the odd seller advertising GT spec but when asked just said it was to get more interest

I have a second car as a weekend warrior so this will just be the daily driver.

Any info. most welcome

Rich
BigRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:34   #2
Zanis

I have recently acquired a non-GT 2000 C70 T5. Good car as far as I can tell so far.

See also my thread about C70 ETM - you must be aware of that potential fault on C70s if you are considering buying one.

I also repeat my recommendation of CLIVE BROOK VOLVO of Bradford if you need a really good dealer up north. (01274 802999)
Zanis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zanis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:35   #3
Zanis

By the way - get a manual one. You don't buy a T5 to poddle about.
Zanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:21   #4
BigRich

Cheers Zanis and good ETM post...something I wasn't aware of and looks like it's worked for you
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 13:49   #5
M D E
Master Member

Hi, good choice on choosing a T5 C70 !!!

Answer

1) I would go for manual, the gearbox is very smooth even though it has a long throw

2) GT spec offers electric seats, which I hear is not the option to
Go for on the C70 due to the seats taking along time to power forward when getting into the back

And Sat Nav and TRACs as standard ...

Here's my tips from owning a T5 Cabro

* Tyre's - Goodyear Eagle F1's make for comfortable ride, more grip and reduces the noise level (currently £86 per corner fitted)

* Fit front strut brace and through default found that a whitter removable towbar acts as a brilliant rear brace. The main cross bar is so strong it's reduced my skuttle shake by around 70% (in my view)

* Replace upper engine mount bush for a polly one ... This has improve the cars feel just for just £30 !

* Stick with Volvo parts for spark plugs and pads

* I changed my front discs for dilled and groved 280mm as braking is not this cars strong point !

* Autoglym hood cleaning pack seems to remove most of the dirt in the fabric roof and waterproofs it well.

* In the winter check the sill chassis bugs, I had to remove mine last winter for another reason and found a surprising amount of water (most if it had turned to ice !)

* If it refuses to start it could be your coil ring behind the steering wheel needs replacing (about £75) from a Volvo dealer fitted (I've had two fitted to mine)

* If your planning to cover around 15-20,000 miles a year look at An LPG conversion, had mine converted last year ... Dropped my £65 weekly fuel bill down to £28

* Check you wheels are balanced as this not only increases the chassis wobble (skuttle shake) but tyre wear

* Meguirs is excellent polish !!

* If you get wet carpets like me it's either
Front hood seal drains are blocked
Drivers door window does not always seal against hood (mainly in the winter)
Or heater matrix has gone, I have just replaced the seals on my 2001 (also covered 70k) heater matrix as these leaked causing interior flooding

All the above may sound like alot but it's just my experience over the past 4 years. This has been one of the best Volvos I have owned and will never sell it ...

Hope you enjoy driving yours ... Anything I can help with just pm me ...
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M D E For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 14:23   #6
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Rich.
I would aggree wiv Zanis ref the ETM I too have recently "Aquired" a C70 T5 GT (my ETM has been replaced (documented proof) Mine had a few "Niggles" (see post http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114415 And .http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114495

From a purley personal standpoint I would suggest an AUTO over a Manual Especially as its gonna be your "Daily Driver" .... I find Auto's far better in "City Traffic" than manuals with yer constantly pushin down the clutch ect...

Also as yer in Warrington May I suggest here>>> http://www.jumpleadsvolvo.co.uk/

For your "Local" repairs ect I have known Brian Jump fer many years & can highly recomend both him & his staff they are excellent at their work & are VERY reasonable on price as well.
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 17:25   #7
BigRich

Gents, all I can say is thanks and MDE...owe you a beer for typing all that
Not purchased yet as seen a few I like...just adding the funds up to see how far I can stretch the budget
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 20:06   #8
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

RIch,

Have a look at this one >>>>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I actually test drove this before I bought mine .. Has a "Pull to the Right" problem then but I believe the seller has sorted it now ...

Was quite a decent bit of kit for what hes askin mate ....
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 22:27   #9
BigRich

Cheers The Hooded Claw...I do like that one...he mentions the struts issue...could this have caused the pull??

One thing that is confusing me on some GT's I've seen advertised and that is some have the centre dash speaker (11 speaker system I believe) and some don't but pretty sure I read all genuine GT's had the 11 speaker system as standard. Not a big deal missing one speaker but wouldn't want to buy a misdescribed car.....
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 22:38   #10
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Its an odd one that is Rich ... Accordin to the Info .. MOST (if not ALL) Gt's have the "Pop up" Sat Nav (Volvo RTI system) .. which negates the 11th speaker (Coz where the Sat Nav is .... is usually the Pro Logic speaker)

Now I KNOW that the one above DOES HAVE the Pro Logic Speaker (but NOT the Sat Nav)

I suppose its a "option" either Sat Nav or Pro Logic speaker ..... On mine the "Sound/Mode" button is inoperative (well I THINK it is) Unless some real Clued up Boffin on here tells me otherwise