Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Engine Cut Out

Views : 14490

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2011, 19:18   #1
JohnDavo

Default XC90 Engine Cut Out

Whislt driving around town today my engine cut out whilst wating at lights. It is an 05 plate D5 auto.

It started up again fine and the message on the dash computer just read
'no message'. There were no orange or red lights. It has been fine since although admitedly this only happened a few hours ago.

Do you think this is anything to worry about? Is it worth paying my indie or dealer to get the codes read?

Thanks in advance.

John
JohnDavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 23:17   #2
Rahiel

Default XC90 engine cut out

I too have had this problem with my XC90 (D5, 2003).

At first, it happened whilst driving on a motorway. I was using cruise control and the engine stalled for a split second before coming back in - I was driving 70mph!!

A few weeks later there was a repeat incident, again on the motorway and again travelling 70 in cruise control.

I thought it might be a problem with the cruise control, but in August, whilst driving in London, the car stalled for a third time - not on cruise control. This time it needed several restarts before the engine kicked back in and when it did, the dashboard displayed multiple error messages - "Serious Brake Failure"; "Engine Management Service Needed"; "SRS Bag Failure", "Alarm System Failure"...

The car was due a 90,000 mile service and I so I took it into Volvo Hersham for attention. Apparently all the messages were "false" apart from the brake failure which pointed to the need for pad replacements. Volvo's service team could find nothing else wrong with the car (or rather, their computer could find nothing wrong with it. We're all at the mercy of such technology here).

Since I have had the car back from Volvo Hersham, the car has stalled four more times - twice on the M1 and twice whilst driving in London.

I took it back to Hersham but, surprise surprise, the computer found no fault. I was told to monitor the situation and come back if it happened again. When I pointed out that I may not be able to come back if it happened when I was driving at 70 on the M1 and involved in a fatal accident, we all had a good laugh.

Today, there was a variation to the problem. All the electrics failed as I was driving. The engine didn't stall on this occasion and continued to run but all the dashboard lights went out, the radio wouldn't power up, and none of the exterior lights worked - including the indicators and brake lights.

After getting home, I switched off the engine and started it up again. All the electrics came back on and I now have an error message about the airbag needing serious attention (again).

So the XC90 will need to go back to Hersham (again) and no doubt they will charge me the best part of a grand to stick their computer on it and tell me there's no fault (again).

My XC90 has become a deathtrap and Volvo Hersham seem fairly unconcerned about this. The car has gone from hero to zero in my experience and a liability I can ill afford.
Rahiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 01:58   #3
excaleng
Ex Executive Club Member

Are you still on the original battery, could be a cell fault causing an intermittent battery short. Certainly a major electrical issue. Check the main earthing strap in the engine bay and the battery + connection in the boot though I feel the fault may be elsewhere.
Sold into slavery: Volvo XC90 SE D5 AWD (185BHP) MY06
Retired: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd
excaleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 12:17   #4
Mark McGregor

Default See my own post of today

I have a 2011 model with exactly the same issues as your last breakdown, in my case I lost the car for the two weeks of my holiday in France as it broke down on the way to my holiday, got the car back from La Rochelle with a no fault found and it broke down again two days later (same total failure) only this time we and it had to be recovered from the French autoroute! The car taking nearly two weeks to get back to the UK and a dealer only to be told no fault found.

It seems that these failures are becoming common and Volvo are hiding from the issues. (I did hear a rumour that they was a move to have Watchdog look into the situation as it was far more widespread than we realised, but then rumours are rumours).

I hope you/we get some satisfactory resolution soon, as you say it can be very scary indeed
Mark McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 12:56   #5
docjd

Unhappy

Goddam sounds worrying!!
Sounds an electrical problem-circuit from battery to cars CPU-computer what ever its is called.
Could there be water getting in somewhere?
Earth points clean?
Touch wood my xc90 05 d5 auto wont start doing this!!
docjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 20:09   #6
400-ascona
Premier Member

My brothers 54 pate D5 does it.

Rob
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 21:00   #7
ianu
Premier Member

.. bit of a random thought. Do any of you have integrated phones fitted ?
It's never happened to me (and I do) - but I seem to recall a few years ago someone on here being able to link cutting out with a random interaction with the phone. i.e they'd just taken a call on it - or taken another call on another phone in the car.
I think they had just come off a motorway and narrowly avoided being hit from behind.

Don't want to panic anyone - if any of the above don't have a phone that'll rule it out. But does sound like electrical interference/gremlin.
Very worrying though.

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 08:47   #8
400-ascona
Premier Member

My brothers has the integrated phone.

Rob
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 09:58   #9
D5Gill

just a suggestion, how well is the lower plastic windscreen cover mated to the screen? If there are gaps (even small ones) then its open to moisture penetration to the main dashboard wiring loom.

Its quite easy to check. After removing both wiper arms, remove the plastic cover. There are 4 or 5 plastic rivets to open. and you can see the wiper interlink. It will quite evident if the wet has got in before. Even if the water is not reaching the wiring, as it evaporates it will get to and corrode the connectors
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:22   #10
Big Ted

I've suffered an almost identical failure twice in the last 12 months.

No fault found at the independent dealer, though after some browsing, I found a similar thread elsewhere which pointed at a CEL issue. £1000 to replace.. eat!!
My guys removed the CEL & cleaned up all the connections, but it failed again about 4 months after this.

The AA came out & check the usual suspect & gave the battery a clean bill of health.

One thing I did notice, was at the time of failure in both instances, the dashboard binical (Bit with the speedo/rev counter) became extremely hot - almost too hot to touch.

I'm not convinced my issue has resolved itself, so I'd be interested to see if anyone resolves this one.
Big Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Ted For This Useful Post: