Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie S40 daily Hack

Views : 1916

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2012, 13:48   #11
Cliveski

For £1000 you can get a decent phase two 1.8 (1783cc) S40 with under 100,000 miles - 2001/2002/2003 year. The phase two models seem to do better in reliability surveys.

Not much to look out for it seems - cambelt needs doing every 8 years or something so ensure that's been done (or factor in £200+ for a garage to do the work).

2 keys would be useful as only Volvo can programme new ones at high cost.

What you save in purchase price you pay back in road tax, insurance isn't all that cheap, economy isn't brilliant but it's a decent safe car.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 13:59   #12
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

First off avoid the 1.6. It is thirstier than the 1.8 and 2.0 both of which have better performance.

The 1.8 is the best of the naturally aspirated petrol models. I don't have the auto, just the manual, but it is pretty good on fuel and personally manual is my preference.

The diesel would be a good choice if you can afford it, though 1k is a little low for a good one.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 16:25   #13
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliveski View Post
For £1000 you can get a decent phase two 1.8 (1783cc) S40 with under 100,000 miles - 2001/2002/2003 year. The phase two models seem to do better in reliability surveys.

Not much to look out for it seems - cambelt needs doing every 8 years or something so ensure that's been done (or factor in £200+ for a garage to do the work).

2 keys would be useful as only Volvo can programme new ones at high cost.

What you save in purchase price you pay back in road tax, insurance isn't all that cheap, economy isn't brilliant but it's a decent safe car.
very safe car indeed...i can vouch for that
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 17:54   #14
Jockeywheel

cheers guys, the more i can read before i buy the more clued up i will be, find myself looking every few days and tbh there is quite a few in my price bracket that look clean and tidy.

If my budget was not so low (daily driver over my vectra) i would or will have in the future a V70 estate as i love the shape of them.

Anyway i will continue looking about here, thanks again.
Jockeywheel is offline   Reply With Quote