Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40t4 Sound

Views : 602

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:22   #1
200cti

HI GUYS IM NEW AND JUST GOT ME A S40T4 AUTO - JUST READ YOU SAYING REMOVING THE FOAM FROM THE AIR FILTER GIVES A NICE SOUND -DO YOU STILL GET THE SOUND IF YOU REMOVE FOAM FROM JUST THE AIR FILTER SIDE?AND IS IT A WHOOSH TURBO SOUND YOU REFERING TO OR THE SOUND OF A CONE FILTER TYPE GURGLE - I LOVE THE WHOOSH SOUND BUT THE CARS IN MOTORPLAN SO CANT FIDDLE WITH THE BOX FOAM ITSELF - SECONDLY PEROFRMANCE I DROVE THE MANUAL AND LOVED IT WHEN I TOOK DELIVERY THEY GAVE ME AN AUTO -IT SEEMS TO LACK THAT PERFOMANCE NOT EVEN A WHEEL SPIN -ITS GOING BACK IN FOR A TWEEK HOPEFULLY SORTS IT -BUT MY FUEL CONSUMPTION IS SCARY ABOUT 250KM OF A TANK URBAN IS THIS RIGHT ? EVEN IF I DRIVE GENTLY
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:22   #2
peteS40

To get the sound - a "whoosh" / "pshht" (turbo sucking, dumping pressure) sound - I removed foam from the air filter box, replacing with a performance (drop in, panel) filter did not make the sound. Because the foam was glued (more like welded!) to the box I could never put it back like it originally was without getting a new airbox.

I did a quick guess and lets say the tank is at least 10 gallons then you are getting about 15mpg AT BEST!! which I would say is pretty awful even if you only drive round town and have a brand new car which needs running in. Must be something wrong with it, hopefully they'll fix it when it goes in.

Pete
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:48   #3
200cti

thanks pete my consumption is average is about 16.00 to 17.00 drops to about 15.6 most times is this right ? on the open road its about 8.7 which is great just urban is crap -so if i dont remove the foam at the bottom there will be no sound you say damn -do you know anyone with an auto s40t4 on the bb
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:11   #4
peteS40

I'm confused... what are the figures you are quoting?

16-17 drops to 8.7, which is good?

Are you talking litres/100km? Not sure....

Anyway, there are some S40 T4 Auto owners round here but if you have any specific questions best just post them on this forum because lots of manual transmission owners and mechanics know about autos too.

Cheers,
Pete
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:34   #5
200cti

oh yes sorry im in south africa we work in km/liter here :-) my urban consumption average is around 15.6lt/100km urban but on the open road a bit better 8.6lt/100km -if it is a faulty temp sender like some say will the temperature gauge not read correctly mine sits in the middle once warm ?
Just filled a R100 fuel 2days ago which is 16.5lt of petrol and it has done only 86km and its now almost at the same spot i filled from (from half tank to reserve) been driving it resonably and about 50km of the 86km was open road
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:54   #6
gnhuk
Balding.............

There are two temp senders - one for the gauge and another for the ECU. The ECU sender is just under the thermostat and I have no idea where the other one is.
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote