Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4T tyres...

Views : 1959

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 19:10   #1
nickd

Smile 2.4T tyres...

Hi All,

Relatively new to the forum as have just got my first V70.

I'm looking to get the tyres replaced as currently it has 4 budget tyres of different makes so what are the best tyres to go with this model or which are those preferred by forum members?

Also the steering feels very light could this be down to the useless rubber on there at the moment?

Thanks,

Nickd
nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 19:31   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I went for Avon ZV5's. Very happy and about £85 eachb for 225/445/17

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 19:44   #3
G4GVB

Don't know about the tyres, but I too am a new v70 driver, compared to all other non volvo cars I have owned and driven I find the steering is light, its great.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 19:50   #4
nickd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4GVB View Post
Don't know about the tyres, but I too am a new v70 driver, compared to all other non volvo cars I have owned and driven I find the steering is light, its great.
At least I know I'm not the only one....

Still need to get some decent tyres though!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 08:33   #5
grainqey
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I went for Avon ZV5's. Very happy and about £85 eachb for 225/445/17

Darryl
+1 to what he said lol, i used avon zv5's on my D5 and were spot on, just look carefully at the load ratings and speed ratings as they affect the price you'll pay and shop around for them as they vary in price quite a bit, i've got goodyear eagle F1 assymetricals on my T5 which it came with, very good also but might be slightly softer than the avons not sure, also continental sportcontact 2 or whatever they are, are really good and a bit harder than most i think (big V8/amg mercs run them etc)
HTH
alex
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 08:45   #6
JimG
Premier Member

I would say one of the best tyres is the Michelin Pilot Sport. Very grippy, predictable, wears well and lasts quite well too, but it's a big outlay at the start. Worth it if you can afford them.

I've also used Continental Contisport Contacts, again very nice, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, good but as the tread wears the tyres start to loose their efficiency.

I'm currently on Falken Ziex ZE-912 and really like them. I've only had them on since November but they are a smooth, quiet tyre and seem to be wearing evenly. They are not as high performance as the others but I don't need that so much now. I think Falken do a higher performance variant in the Ziex range (ZE-512) but it's directional.

There are lots of others to consider like Toyo Proxes, Pirelli P-Zeroes for example but I have no experience with these.

I hate Michelin Primacy HPs. Very hard compound designed for touring and high mileage but I found the ride too hard and the grip was useless when pushed. Just my opinion.

The more people you ask the more opinions you will get. If you're like me, researching tyres makes my brain ache!

Jim.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 13:14   #7
nickd

I must say I have thought about having the Pilot sports on the rear with conti SP'2 on the front. On my previous car (Saab 93 Aero MY53) the pilot sports lasted 55k miles on the rear with 20k form the SP2's on the front. Previous to that it was SP'2 all round on a E39 M5, they would last approx 12-14k miles although that was driven fast and it would be the outer edge on the fronts which wore first.

Would anyone recommend different brands or should I just go for the SP2's. Dont mind the initial outlay as the improved consumption (4 completely different tyres at present), and improved performance should make up for it!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 15:22   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainqey View Post
+1 to what he said lol, i used avon zv5's on my D5 and were spot on, just look carefully at the load ratings and speed ratings as they affect the price you'll pay and shop around for them as they vary in price quite a bit, i've got goodyear eagle F1 assymetricals on my T5 which it came with, very good also but might be slightly softer than the avons not sure, also continental sportcontact 2 or whatever they are, are really good and a bit harder than most i think (big V8/amg mercs run them etc)
HTH
alex
Hi Graingey, yes i know what you mean about ratings.
When i decided on the Avon ZV5's, I went for the XL 94 ( extra load rating ) and W speed rating which although way over the top for a D5 meant i got a good deal.

Just notice my typo on previous post . Should be 225/45/17.

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 16:22   #9
atropa

My 2003 V70 170se has been transformed for the better by fitting Avon ZV5 225/45 R17 W tyres. I had always stuck to the Pirelli 6000's originally fitted and the improvement is remarkable. One slight drawback is that there is a slight rubbing on absolute full lock.( blackcircles.com supplied them).
atropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 19:01   #10
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Just replaced Pirelli P6000's with Uniroyal Rainsport 2 225/45/17 94W

Thoughs so far:

More grip, but the Pirellis where down to 2mm.

Quieter running and smoother ride.

Too early yet to judge wear but the improvements in ride & noise alone made the change worthwhile.

My car has powerflex wishbones bushes, I did not suffer tramlining even with the P6000's
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote