Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cracked engine block at 45,000 miles

Views : 1156

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 14:25   #1
Peter G

Default Cracked engine block at 45,000 miles

Just wanted to sound out the forum on a big problem I have. Two weeks ago I experienced loss of coolant. Investigation showed it was leaking into the engine oil and a faulty head gasket was suspected. There is no sign of any oil in the cooling system. A check was made on the oil cooler but this was not the problem. On removal of the head the problem did not appear to be the gasket but rather a crack in the water jacket on one of the cylinders allowing coolant to enter the oil system - a cracked engine block. This has yet to be confirmed but I am possibly looking at a replacement engine on a 2002 registered car with 45000 miles on the clock. At no time has the engine ever overheated or been allowed to run on a low coolant or oil level. Is this bad luck or a manufacturing fault from day one !!?

I have had the car from new – initially as a company car – and then my own. The car has been maintained by professional garages from new but unfortunately not Volvo as it was initially a company car the servicing had to be done at a company approved garage. Any feedback on my problem would be most gratefully received.

In addition does anyone have a contact address for the CEO of Volvo UK as I would like to contact him directly.

Car details: Volvo S60, 2.0 Turbo. 2002 registration, 45,000 miles
Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 16:16   #2
Tomo9945

Thats not good on a car of that age! If it helps the address for Volvo UK is:
Volvo Car UK Limited, Globe Park, Marlow, Buckinghamshire. SL7 1YQ. I think the Chief Executive is Leif Johansson. Might just be as easy to address it to 'Chief Executive' in case he's moved on!
I had some recent success, with a problem my car had, when I bought it (poor service etc). Volvo UK gave me some vouchers, which was a pleasant surprise. Best of luck!
Tomo9945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 21:45   #3
akash

yup got 300 quid of vouchers here too for a range of issues on a s40 i had

but its worrying if you have this issue only at 45k!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 21:53   #4
John_C
Allons-y!

It would have to be either a manufacturing defect or a lack of anti-freeze causing the water to freeze inside the block in the recent cold weather.

Even though it's a 2002 I would expect a very substantial goodwill gesture from Volvo if you can show a good service history for the car and get the coolent tested to show it is as it should be. Under the block exemption rules they can't use the fact it wasn't serviced at a Volvo dealer as a get out just so long as genuine parts were used and it was serviced as per the service schedule.

Good luck!

Cheers,
J
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote