Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Chav admiration

Views : 2670

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 00:42   #1
doorman

Default Chav admiration

As the owner and driver (aged very young 62 ) of a Volvo V70 ‘R’ AWD, I was bemused by the attention and admiration of an Astra full of young chavs who were in awe of my car as we sat at traffic lights today.
They were looking in appreciation of the looks of my car, wheels exhaust shine etc.
I took off on green, and I flawed it with the throaty roar of my twin exhaust to there delight. I might add that I also happened to be pushing a Boxster up the slip road. Due to road works, and a 50 mph limit, they soon caught up with me, and to my amazement, they all continued there appreciation of my car by means of smiles and thumbs up.
Who knows, but perhaps we now have a few future young converts to the Volvo mark, how nice it was to have this sort of appreciation from a young bunch of lads.
Any other similar stories to be told?

Regards
David
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:21   #2
akash

well I started off at 20/21 with the new S40 and while I had a few people say it was nice, (young people) it wasnt all that appealing mainly because of the volvo sign.

Now 2 years down the line, at 23 I have just bought the new S80 (2007 model) and I see LOTS of heads turn

I'd be just driving it down a road and pedestrians would turn back to look - on another day, I had it parked outside and someone who must work around here took their time to walk up to the car, round it and then back off. strangest thing i've seen. I guess being black and chromed, it does stand out a hell of a lot!

But in relation to your story, pretty much ALL my friends from uni and what not love the car and some have even said that they're becoming to like the idea of even possibly owning a volvo sometime soon in the future.

Having said that, I'm not sure its a GOOD thing young people having it - especially the chav category! They still cant drive properly - imagine them crashing into something/someone in a volvo.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 13:26   #3
DSK
C70 T5

If the car is parked up, it does attract some attention and I have give it a bootful on a carrigeway, when I stop at the end of it, people just stare at the car and me with a very confused look .....
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 14:20   #4
ClaretMatt

Well I'm only 26, bought two duff ones and STILL love Volvos.

Hope that helps!
ClaretMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 18:27   #5
Gareths306
Premier Member

I get loads of looks in mine! I recon it's only because it's a dark blue S60 similar to what the police use!!! Sometimes have to wear a high vis jacket in work... so i'll keep it on for the journey home! When people pull up beside me they tend to ease off and drop back! works quite well!

I must say there are some nice sporty looking Volvo's around these days, especially with twin exhausts, shiney alloys and side skirts, etc!

I can't see many chavs buying them though to do them up... cost em a fortune! Buying parts for a Volvo isn't quite the same as going to a scrappy to get a part for an astra GTE now is it!!! LOL
Gareths306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 00:14   #6
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

I've got a 480 and they are a rare sight here (Northern Ireland). Although my black metallic paintwork brings up the stone chips and scuffs like a sore thumb, wrapped up in a layer of ditch dirt, it tends to attract a lot of on-lookers, particularly in the younger age-band.

Although quite a few friends have made ‘approved’ comments, having quizzed them about getting a Volvo as well, they simply remark on their expense and middle-aged family origin, never mind insurance!

If only they knew, eh?

I bought my 480 last year having just turned 20, and having just turned 21 I’m looking for something bigger and better (now that insurance allows), although being a classic-buff I hope to upgrade / downgrade (?) to a 245, in which case my girlfriend is more than happy to take charge of the 480!!

To conclude, as far as Northern Ireland applies, old school Volvos aren't popular here and there seems to be a lack of authentic interest from the younger generation.

Last edited by DarrenK; Jul 16th, 2007 at 00:15. Reason: Rewording...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:11   #7
Jim760
Mr G

i passed my test just before my 18th, my parents had got me a C reg, white nissan micra with brown interior...yeah like i was going to drive that, took it to auctions and got 30 quid for it anyway i went and got myself a 360GLT it dark metalic green, it had the hella grill and black leather. no one liked the look of it, and the parents?? oooh boy. after a week or so parents had calmed down, it wasn't like they were paying for any of it!. went to pick the GF up, her 1st words were, and i quote "omg its a tatty old volvo,...why?" but once she got in and we were on the move, that changed to "this quite is nice actually, you should get some fluffy dice!" big grin on my face at this point! so that was the parents chilled, the gf happy just the firends to win over yes? actually, no! got a few of them to come up and see it and not one of them had a bad word to say about it, even the yonger yobbos on the street liked the look of it, wich made me decide to get an alarm on her lol! but all in all that 360 in my world was loved by all who sailed in her...and all those that didn't too!

since that car, ive had Blue 740 gle, Red auto 740GL estate, Blue/silver 480 ES, metalic blue 940 SE and now at the age of 21 i have the 766! now this, attracts everboys attention, just wish it was the estate version then it would be my very own 767!
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda

Last edited by Jim760; Jul 16th, 2007 at 06:14.
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:13   #8
Frostbite
S60 S 2.0T Auto (Sep2003)

I love giving the boy racers appreciation for Volvo's.

My S60 just melts away their 'confident looks' at the traffic lights.

Their surprise at how quick Volvo's are turns into appreciation for the marque.

I see it as part of their education.

Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:39   #9
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Who knows, but perhaps we now have a few future young converts to the Volvo mark, how nice it was to have this sort of appreciation from a young bunch of lads.
Any other similar stories to be told?

Regards
David
You'll find that there are always a good bunch of the younger generation already here. I have had a volvo for the last 4 years from when I was 21.

My 740 looks quite different to a standard one so it gets quite a few amused look as well as people wondering why I modified it etc. The younger boy racers around here have learnt about it now and I do get a few thumbs up from time to time.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 13:36   #10
740_GLE_Boy

Funny old thing really. I think most lads - mainly chavy because you dont normally get Goths or Grungers/Punks interested in cars its more to do with the 'cooler' as they think lads that have the interest in cars these days - Like I was saying I think most chavy Lad would give the thumbs up to any car with big wheels, classy looks and the power to back it all up.

I think people like the sporting Volvo's for that Street Sleeper look and the ablity to Not have to worry about much having you at the Traffic Light GP.

Older Volvo's like my 740 my not have the same street cred as a more modern Volvo but with the right mods like 1straven's I think I might be able to pull off a 'Cool' non turbo 700series

Click on the links to read my 'Progress Threads' for my:
Citroen Saxo VTS Thread and Volvo 740 GLE Thread
740_GLE_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote