Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine system service required

Views : 875

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2017, 14:47   #1
HenryVolvo

Default Engine system service required

Hi Volvo Experts,
I have a 2007 Volvo XC90. Driving the other day I hear a bang sounding like driving over a milk carton. I was travelling around 60 mph I struggle to get the car home. There was no smoke coming from the car so I thought that I might assume the Turbo is not the problem. I slowed to corner and got the car back up to 60mph but no more. The car will start and idles fine but when I depress the accelerator I can hear a peculiar sound coming from the engine. I have an error message displayed 'Engine System Service Required'. I was wondering how to access the message to find out what has gone wrong. A suggestion was made to me that it may be an intercooling hose which may have ruptured. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
HenryVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 16:03   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

My guess is the charge air pipe from the turbo to the intercooler has come disconnected, which is an easy fix (although a new joint might be required).

You can see it under the car when the engine cover is off.

Due to the lack of turbo pressure the engine management system will be safeguarding the engine to prevent any engine damage.

If you want to read the codes, then you need Volvo VIDA software program, but
based on your problem description I think you'd be able to observe the failed charge air pipe in the engine bay without too much effort.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2017, 23:28   #3
XC90is2012

Default Just been through this

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryVolvo View Post
Hi Volvo Experts,
I have a 2007 Volvo XC90. Driving the other day I hear a bang sounding like driving over a milk carton. I was travelling around 60 mph I struggle to get the car home. There was no smoke coming from the car so I thought that I might assume the Turbo is not the problem. I slowed to corner and got the car back up to 60mph but no more. The car will start and idles fine but when I depress the accelerator I can hear a peculiar sound coming from the engine. I have an error message displayed 'Engine System Service Required'. I was wondering how to access the message to find out what has gone wrong. A suggestion was made to me that it may be an intercooling hose which may have ruptured. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
SwissXC90 is right
I have been through this myself and it was the intercooler that had a leak.
I had the same message Engine system service required
Please check hoses and intercooler

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=266974
XC90is2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 00:01   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

+1 for intercooler/charge pipe leak.

The engine service/low performance is due to air leaking from the system that has already been metered by the mass airflow meter, the ECU knows that "things don't add up" so goes into limp mode - you will have restricted power and probably max 2800 rpm.

Usually an easy cheap fix though.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 15:42   #5
HenryVolvo

Smile

Thanks guys, my insurance company sent out the tow truck to bring the car to a Volvo dealership but told me that it was not a hose problem and most likely the turbo was gone. The garage rang me today to confirm that you guys were spot on. As I'm in Dublin, the hose has to be brought in from the UK, despite the fact that is a Volvo Service Garage. I should be back motoring tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.
HenryVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote