Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snapped serpentine belt

Views : 496

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 21:58   #1
Stu V8 2007

Default Snapped serpentine belt

2008 V8, 112,000 miles.

Just been AA relayed as the serpentine belt went as I accelerated on the dual carriageway, sounded like bits coming off, loss of power steering and charging etc. Stopped asap.

So needs a new belt, (and presumably some other auxilliary parts at the same time?).

AA said suprised as the belts rarely disintigrate like that (bit of a mess), so just wondering if I need to worry about anythig else, or do you think this should just be a straightforward belt replacement, can it cause other damage I need to look for?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 22:10   #2
Mikey1980

Similar happened to mine, probably need a new tensioner pulley. My belt snapped had it replaced and 6 months later it went again. They first thought it was the cover tubing in the belt but then realised it was the tensioner pulley. I had mine serviced at the same time and the total bill was around £400 including the service, the belt, pulley and a new cover.
Mikey1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikey1980 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 23:25   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

A few years ago a repaired a 2008 V70 D5 which had snapped it's aux belt 3 (THREE!) times - each time taking the cambelt out. It first went at 108k just a few thousand after the cambelt service, the owner had the head replaced and spent £££. It went again at 120k-ish and this time the head had the hydraulic lifter sockets welded. It went again at 133k and the owner gave up.

I fitted a second hand head and replaced every pulley - crankshaft, tensioner, alternator etc. I sold the car straight away and I know it to be going strong still with over 170k on it (and no more belts).

The point is I've heard of more than one story where aux belts have disintegrated more than once on one engine. Check if the alternator overrun pulley has siezed (assuming the V8 has one)?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 3rd, 2018 at 23:27.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 23:47   #4
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Do you get any warning if the alternator pulley or belt tensioner are on the way out?
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 14:04   #5
Stu V8 2007

There was an odd noise from the engine bay this week (I thought it sounded like the timing chain). So booked it in to garage, but this hapened the night before it was due to go in to be checked out.

Once we pulled off the broken belt, the battery charge warning light came on, and a message about the charging system (or similr, as I don't have the car here now).
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 11:31   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Upon purchasing a used Volvo, always remove the serpentine belt and inspect all pulleys by hand. Don't wait for problems to happen, this is a 10 minutes check. The alternator one also needs be inspected at the clutch https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Pzmj0jxfw

If parts have been replaced just before the purchase, look carefuly for the brands used and replace any low cost brand with a quality part.

This is even more critical on the D5 engine, just like in the story above. Without exception, a failed serpentine belt on a D5 engine means the end of the engine.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 11:47   #7
Stu V8 2007

One of the pulleys had disinterated, this was replaced along with the (Volvo) tensioner and of course a new belt. I'm not sure which went first, the belt (therby wrecking the pulley) or the pulley – leading to a tangled belt.
All sorted now though.