Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

alloys 740 gl

Views : 4035

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2011, 23:44   #11
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Guys.

I think if you fit the contemporary 6x15 OEM wheel - those that were available as an option on the GL and often standard on the GLE(the wheels with slots around the circumference and the dinner plate sized stainless hubcap), you'll find there are no"fitment"issues.

It would be a good aesthetic and dynamic improvement - too big a wheel and tyre combo it could go the other way.

One of the best riding and handling cars of ALL TIME only had 165 section tyres.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 23:54   #12
bookerbill
Trader

good evening mr pru-flock the car got the seal of approval from my son today his words where m m very nice car daddy lol if you have a pic of alloys --- that would be helpful ,iam in process of buying another wheel trim as 1 must of flown off down m62 last night
bookerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:54   #13
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default think brake

getting 15 inch wheels on the car with original 14 inch

is not an performance enhancement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------
therefore no brake enhancement necessary.

If you tune your engine up to 300bhp, topspeed 225 miles,
than it would be better if you adjust brakeperformance.

-------------------------------------------------

if you get 15 inch wheels - you CAN get larger callipers in.

actually , i havent checked partnumbers to see if the brakediscs are the same nevertheless.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 10:57   #14
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Smile 740 alloys

Back last year i was also going to update my wheels from 14inch to 15 inch and i contacted a couple of companys that made whees and was advised not to change to 15inch as i would also need spacers and possible problem on wheel arch.. if you want to jazz it up a bit you can do that via the exhaust system and fancy decor on car body, my estate although 1987 is a1988 specc and only because its early in years was i advised not to change cars spec..sunnyvic
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 11:43   #15
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Reiterating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Guys.

I think if you fit the contemporary 6x15 OEM wheel - those that were available as an option on the GL and often standard on the GLE(the wheels with slots around the circumference and the dinner plate sized stainless hubcap), you'll find there are no"fitment"issues.

It would be a good aesthetic and dynamic improvement - too big a wheel and tyre combo it could go the other way.

One of the best riding and handling cars of ALL TIME only had 165 section tyres.

Prufrock.
OEM being Original Equipment Manufacturer = wheels made for the 740 when it was in production and no issues with spacers or any other nonsense.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:07   #16
bookerbill
Trader

hello all i will change them to oem , ive just seen those type of alloys so if anyone has them please contact me cheers pro-frock
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:30   #17
brodgar
I've Been Banned

quote """" 740 alloys
Back last year i was also going to update my wheels from 14inch to 15 inch and i contacted a couple of companys that made whees and was advised not to change to 15inch as i would also need spacers and possible problem on wheel arch.. if you want to jazz it up a bit you can do that via the exhaust system and fancy decor on car body, my estate although 1987 is a1988 specc and only because its early in years was i advised not to change cars spec..sunnyvic """"

what a load of rubbish in the above content
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:45   #18
bookerbill
Trader

i agree
The Following User Says Thank You to bookerbill For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 15:28   #19
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Smile 740 alloys

thankyou for comment about a load of rubish re 14 and change to 15 probably need spacers its obvious to me that you dont want to look at other peoples comments because you consider yourself far more superior to others on this forum therefor put a sock in it and let others give their view without the rude comments from yourself i dont like it and i am sure other members dont...
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 15:47   #20
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default loads of rubbish

perhaps you should re-read my posting.

Than you will realise that what I said is actually that yoy have been told a

load of rubbish.

It appears that you take it personally and interpretate it as that you

are telling a load of rubbish.

As far as your comment concerned ""rude"" ; that is a strange comment to make in relation to technical facts.
The technical fact is that 14 inch replaced by 15 inch on the volvo

does not require spacers nor does it foul the wheelarches.
I have done this many times, not merely phoned to some wheelguys who give whatever theoretical possibilty as advice.

quote ""and i am sure other members dont... """"
Can you substantiate this statement?? How sure are you??Have you asked 100 members in an opinion poll ???

Let me point you to forum rule 1 "" be courteous to oneanother"" It is you
who are in breach of this rule

Last edited by brodgar; Jul 17th, 2011 at 15:50.