Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weber carb for 700

Views : 2758

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 17:00   #21
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

The mystery may deepen when we get onto the facelift cars!

Prufrock
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 22:57   #22
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Job Done!

Got a DMTL via ebay as a Ford Sierra conversion kit, almost new condition. Made a conversion plate from 10mm thick aluminium plate - much drilling, filing and tapping. Throttle link arm transfers from Solex with some bending and fettling. Choke cable in blank switch panel with aluminium bracket behind for reinforcement. Went for the cable-tie solution for the air filter.
Have not tried re-jetting it yet and in any case it goes like a rocket. Brilliant from cold and extremely smooth. Phenomenal torque.
Happy to advise if anyone wants to do the same.
Total cost about £140 plus about 5 hours (I'm not fast) and an injured finger from misuse of pillar drill. Needed a hole saw, an M8 tap and ground off an old 12mm drill bit to use as an end mill for recessed holes.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 00:02   #23
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Weber conversion 740

Further info following enquiries:
It wasn't that easy because I had to make the plate and fiddle about with the throttle link. Fastroadcars (try ebay) will sell a bespoke conversion kit for £300 or so which is about what I paid for the car! If you can get a used carb for a reasonable price the blank plate was about £5.00 from ebay.
The work is within the scope of determined DIY.
The difference to the running of the engine was well worth the finger injury. I now enjoy driving the car.
Original carb had a broken part in the auto-choke and gave very variable tickover speed. I found that the main reason for the rough running was several inlet manifold leaks so it's worth checking this first.
Will add photo when I figure out how to do it....
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 00:17   #24
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Weber conversion plate

The plate attaches to the manifold with Allen headed screws recessed into the plate. IMPORTANT - you can't use countersunk bolts as there has to be some leeway for lining up the holes with the theaded holes in the manifold. My design is simply an adapted copy of the Ford conversion plate the carburettor came with. The plate is 10mm aluminium and the carb came with a phenolic block/gasket about 8mm thick which is just enough for the carb linkages to clear the manifold.
Note the drill I ground off to make the recesses for the Allen screws.
Studs in the manifold are sawn off M8 setpins. Blue stuff is threadlock used throughout. Seal to manifold is high temperature black instant gasket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 740 carb Weber 002.jpg (332.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 740 carb Weber 003.jpg (319.3 KB, 8 views)