Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What auto box do I have - for fluid spec

Views : 1975

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2018, 07:46   #21
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Ok then so the web version of the 2011 MY XC90 that I linked to is wrong as well? You better call Volvo and tell them....
You are 1 rude person with an attitude problem. Volvo changed their spec as I originally posted. If your 2011 guidance is from 2018 then it’s valid. If it’s from 7 years ago it’s clearly not up to date. I am sure you are aware that vehicle manufacturers do change specs and requirements. The 12,000 mile service interval for example was changed to 18,000 mile retrospectively.

You clearly stated that the box used a fluid type. That box lasted to 2014 and had changed made. You can come on here and be rude or you can educate yourself.

I won’t be discussing further as it sounds like you are more interested in having the last word and frankly I am comfortable with that.

In future please note the 80sc has a life to 2014, the AW1 spec was in in 2011 (as poster himself adds) and for some 2010 production years.

There are plenty of Volvo guides on line to say 12k service intervals, things change, it’s life.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 08:02   #22
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
It’s not aggressive, but it does express my frustration that I took the time to find and post a link to the OPs car user manual on the Volvo website for that model year which stated clearly JWS3309 fluid for the gearbox... you then said I was wrong and questioned my experience...

You are entitled to your opinion and forums are for people to express that but when you ignore what is written by the manufacturer in black and white without further explanation - you can expect a push back. I use this forum to discuss Volvo cars, not people, so I actually don’t care what you think or say about me personally - but I do take issue when people don’t think carefully about statements they make or listen to other POV which may then mislead a member asking for guidance.

So, for the last time, my position is that JWS3309 was and is the fluid specified for the XC90 MY 11 which is what the OP has. If you know of any Volvo documentation (service manual, technical update etc. not an email from a random bod on their service desk) that is contrary to that - please enlighten me?

It’s not the first time this topic has caused confusion:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...AW-1-(JWS-3324)
Right,

You found the USA and CANADA spec manual on line. It is copyright 2010 so is at least 8 years old.

So yes, your link was correct 8 years ago for USA model vehicles.

I have written up posts regarding the whole ‘lore’ there is out there for these boxes (only use gibbons method), can’t check the levels without VIDA, need to reset adaptations.

I have completed this task and actually done it.
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 08:06   #23
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
It’s not aggressive, but it does express my frustration that I took the time to find and post a link to the OPs car user manual on the Volvo website for that model year which stated clearly JWS3309 fluid for the gearbox... you then said I was wrong and questioned my experience...

You are entitled to your opinion and forums are for people to express that but when you ignore what is written by the manufacturer in black and white without further explanation - you can expect a push back. I use this forum to discuss Volvo cars, not people, so I actually don’t care what you think or say about me personally - but I do take issue when people don’t think carefully about statements they make or listen to other POV which may then mislead a member asking for guidance.

So, for the last time, my position is that JWS3309 was and is the fluid specified for the XC90 MY 11 which is what the OP has. If you know of any Volvo documentation (service manual, technical update etc. not an email from a random bod on their service desk) that is contrary to that - please enlighten me?

It’s not the first time this topic has caused confusion:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...AW-1-(JWS-3324)
I know from carrying it out that 3309 is not used after 2011,

I know from Eastbourne main dealer that 3309 is not used on 2011,

The OP has come on here to confirm he has spoken to a dealer who says it’s not 3309,

I have carried out the operation successfully without 3309.

I also know you are looking at a non EU territory with that link, published in 2010.

I am pretty sure on balance of probability that you are reading something on line then quoting it as fact.

I know you are wrong and I also know you are the only 1 so far to come in with bold, capital letters and exclamation marks telling me to do something.

Have a good day.
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 11:49   #24
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

This is the link to the XC90 MY11 manual from the Volvo Cars UK website. If you distrust the links I post - suggest you go to the website home page and navigate to the manual yourself.

https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...EN_tp11807.pdf

Have a look on page 279. What does it say?

Ask enough people (dealers, mechanics, customer service) and you will get the answer that you want, but it doesn't mean it is correct. I would suggest Volvo's own documentation issued to 40,000 owners is more likely to be correct.

Merry Christmas.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:56.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 09:01   #25
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Op,

Well done on getting the correct fluid which is not 3309 as we have established.

It’s interesting to note that much of the 80sc transmissions DONT use 3309 certainly between 2011 and 2014.

Other ‘forum lore’ you can ignore

Can’t check level without Vida,
Only use gibbons method
Sump dump with the transmission in p, n, r and d for 2 seconds.

It’s so important on these forums to talk to people with experience and knowledge.

I just read an article that the world is flat on line and am of to find the end of the planet lol!!!!
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 10:42   #26
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsterpaterson View Post
Interestingly, other forum threads seem to indicate that other Volvos with the same transmission moved to 3324 sooner, but the 90s stayed with 3309 till 2013. Seems that perhaps the 3324 is thinner for better economy. If that's the case, I'd rather stick with the thicker better-protecting 3309!
Back to the OP - you arrived at the right place here. There may have been some confusion in that cars sold from around July are the proceeding model year (i.e. MY2013 was sold from July 2012). What is documented in the owners manual for your car is correct. If you can find Volvo technical journal 16773 on the web (Google TJ16773) - it's also clarifies that the XC90 used the 3309 spec juice in it is gearbox for longer than other models that used the same TF80 transmission.

I am sorry if this thread got distracted with a bit of debate, however enough links have been shared to manufacturer official information for members to arrive at their own conclusion without having to take anyone's word for it.

In reality, it probably never mattered anyway, it would be fine to fill a earlier box that had JWS3309 at the factory with JWS3324/AW-1 - as long as you do a full flush as there are some (unofficial) reports saying they don't mix well. As always, you will get a better result if you at least clear the adaptation memory and preferable run the re-adaptation procedure. But there will have been a good, technical reason why Volvo decided to stick with the older spec fluid on the XC90 for longer.

I am 100% secure in what I have said - but don't take my word for it, it's in the manual for your car - both the paper copy printed 8 years ago and the updated copy on Volvo's customer support web pages.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 25th, 2018 at 11:18.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 16:58   #27
oilman
Trader

Just to confuse things, I will look further into it but I am wondering if these specs are backwardly compatible. Having a quick look at some atfs. I have ones that meet JWS3324 that also meet AW-1, but many of the ones I have that meet AW-1 also meet JWS3309.

My data is saying AW-1 for the 2011 model.

Cheers,

Guy
phone: 01209 202944

oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 18:59   #28
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Just to confuse things, I will look further into it but I am wondering if these specs are backwardly compatible. Having a quick look at some atfs. I have ones that meet JWS3324 that also meet AW-1, but many of the ones I have that meet AW-1 also meet JWS3309.

Cheers,

Guy
Good to have a professional back up the 2011 aw-1 spec as opposed to the old ‘80sc uses 3309 only’ attitude of certain other posters lol.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 19:01   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post

Cheers,

Guy
My understanding from what I have read is that 3324 & AW-1 are backwardly compatible with 3309, but I have read guidance in several places that they shouldn't be mixed (i.e. full flush).

However I don't think it is accepted that 3309 can be used readily in place of 3324/AW-1. There are a few stories on the web of people who have done this and had problems later down the line (on Peugeots and Land Rover)
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 19:07   #30
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Good to have a professional back up the 2011 aw-1 spec as opposed to the old ‘80sc uses 3309 only’ attitude of certain other posters lol.
With respect to all... As I've said before, ask enough people you will get the answer you want. The direction from the manufacturer (Volvo) - which is differs for the XC90 to other models of the same year using the TF-80 - is very clearly documented in the original and current service bulletins, technical updates and owner manuals.

LMAO.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135