Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hail XC90 :)

Views : 788

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2011, 20:11   #1
bugi666

Default Hail XC90 :)

Just got back from my european trip - and just wanted to say - if you're planning such a trip - XC90 is a perfect car for it!

I made approx 2400 miles, through Netherlands, Germany and Poland. Average mpg was 38!!! (calculated, computer shows 40.2). Top speeds - 70mph in the UK, 110 mph in Germany and 80mph in Poland. I think that the taking into account 2 adults, 2 kids and plenty of stuff in the car boot, that's astonishing result - I was really hoping to get around 33-35, but my XC managed to surprise me once again!

Talking about mpg, I was only buying "better" fuels (BP Ultimate in the UK, Shell VPower in Germany and Orlen Verva in Poland) - a little bit extra at the till, but hopefully it's also better for the engine. Using Vpower I have noticed quite a difference in the engine noise (much quieter) and some ooomph

The whole journey was a pleasure - I really can't imagine driving smaller car with the whole family ... I only hope D5 engine had more power, pushing the car to 110mph in the Germany was an overkill - by saying that, better brakes would be perfect as well - stopping 3 tons from 110mph is freaking scary !!!

Ahhh.... off to bed now - time to catch up with the sleep
bugi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:47   #2
The Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugi666 View Post

The whole journey was a pleasure - I really can't imagine driving smaller car with the whole family ... I only hope D5 engine had more power, pushing the car to 110mph in the Germany was an overkill - by saying that, better brakes would be perfect as well - stopping 3 tons from 110mph is freaking scary !!!

Ahhh.... off to bed now - time to catch up with the sleep

I couldn`t understand your last paragraph, getting to and continuing at this speed is absolutely effortless and the car still has plenty in reserve, regarding braking, it should pull up as straight as a dye and pretty quickly too, maybe I have mis-understood your point ?
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:26   #3
mrooke
VOC Member

What model and year have you got, as I've done that journey several times and at slower speeds and achieved less, much less?
mrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:09   #4
catbert

Also unsure of the kerb weight? 3 tonnes? I think its 2100kg unloaded for the geartronic. Also would like to know the model year. To me that mpg is about 30% higher than i ever got.
catbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 13:35   #5
bugi666

That's 2005 D5, 163 BHP. As for speeding, maybe there is a reserve, but it's really pushing the car to its limits (I think). For weight - I just said 3 tonnes, but in reality it would be unloaded car weight + around 500 kgs of us and the stuff in the boot
Brakes do work of course, it's just surprising for someone not doing over 70mph all the time to break down from 110mph to zero on a relatively short distance - my initial impression was "where the hell are the brakes????".

As for the mpg - computer was showing 40.2mpg when we got back (and I re-setted it before the journey). Calculated (from the bills) was little bit more realistic - but still great! Mind you, in Poland, there was a lot of driving with speed limits of 70, 50 and 30kph- where the car just zooms along and don't use much fuel. Driving steady 110mph in germany, the instantaneous mpg was in region of 21.
bugi666 is offline   Reply With Quote