Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is a 'set up' ?

Views : 1899

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 22:31   #1
Andy
Master Member

Default What is a 'set up' ?

Hi All,

I was a bit disappointed with my results from the Power Engineering session on my '96 855R:

258 Bhp @ 5993 RPM with 259 Lbft torque and 0.9 Bar boost.

The bloke said 'don't be greedy' when I asked how much more I could have. :(

I have a Superchip, K&N panel filter, MBC set at 14psi and a TME cat back exhaust.

PE have said, when I went upstairs to tackle someone, that the car has the bits and it needs to be 'set up'. Just because it has a Superchip doesn’t mean it will have more bhp than standard.

Can anyone tell me what the 'set up' involves for the £125 + VAT asking price.

Is it just a case of setting the MBC to a higher break point as I thought everything else was controlled by the ECU?

What bhp and torque increases can I expect when they have worked their magic?

Alex, what have you done to yours as it was impressive?? :)

Nice videos by the way- does mine exist? (Twin of the wardrobe).

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 22:53   #2
alexzoutsos

It does indeed Andy, I got it mixed up with Jim's ... easy mistake! I will post it soon..just had to have MOT, tax disc, insurance (not good for little me in a t5) and now service done all in a month..I've been a busy boy!

I haven't done much to mine, just exhaust, intake, wastegate, it was a nice suprise!

Phil (aka Noiseboy) had his T5R fitted with a 3" downpipe, new bleed valve and superchips ECU, and was running 201bhp at the wheels..roughly 270-280bhp according to PE. Contact him at phil@t5r.org or email me at alexzoutsos@ntlworld.com and I will give you his phone number if you don't have it, I'm sure he'll be only too happy to tell you how they set his up (was done on Friday at PE).
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 22:55   #3
brainsaw

yeah... when it's a piece of jap-poo it's "you can get 1 zillion hp outa that" ... but when it comes to Volvos it's "don't be greedy"

Why couldn't they do torque/crankpower for autos? aparently they did it when the GTO club had a day there

Not menaing to whinge, like... just wanna know!...

Have you got your Wheel figure so I can compare?

Andy
ps... sorry i couldn't be more help!
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 23:06   #4
alexzoutsos

What was your wheel figure Andy H?
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 23:19   #5
brainsaw

sorry...forgot to say... 183
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:36   #6
alexzoutsos

Oops..also, was that manual or auto?
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:55   #7
brainsaw

Auto
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:18   #8
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: What is a 'set up' ?

Hi Andy.
I would hazard a guess that the 'Jap Poo' you are referring to is my buddies spaceship, ;-)
Well, they *will* do those figures for autos but they said they are playing with fire when they do as it is very easy to break transmissions when they do it. Something to do with being easy to knock it into reverse (BANG) when they are doing the knock into neutral @6000 rpm and rev........or something..........

Suffice it to say, it isn't good for the car to do those tests in an auto. Easy in a manual.

Also a 3.0 I6 TT Supra is designed to take a lot more power from the off than a Volvo of any kind due to the fact the Supra was designed as an out and out performance car whereas Volvos are family cars that happen to go bloody fast!

Later dude,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:26   #9
brainsaw

wasn't refering to his supra.... just generally!!

Sounds like they just weren't confident in their ability to change gear then... they should've let us test our own! ;)
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:54   #10
alexzoutsos

If you don't depress the button on the auto gearstick you can move between drive and neutral freely, but not into reverse.

But really, we shouldn't care what our cars produce at the engine, it is at the wheels that's the important figure - but of course you need data to compare it to for it to be worth anything.