Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Detailing - interior cleaning

Views : 2949

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2016, 10:44   #1
taz777
VOC Member

Default Detailing - interior cleaning

I'm really into detailing cars as a hobby so I though I'd share some experiences of products that I use. I tend to seek out products that are easy and quick to use.

For this thread I'm focusing on interior detailing - carpet mats, dashboard, door cards, inside surfaces of windows, steering wheel, gear knob, centre tunnel, etc.

I generally break down interior detailing into four parts and in this order:

1. Carpet mats/floor area/pedals;

2. Interior trim (door cards, dashboard, steering wheel, etc);

3. Interior glass surfaces;

4. Leather seats.

Here's the process and products I tend to use:

Carpet Mats
Remove the mats and vacuum clean them. Vacuum the carpets then refit the mats. Wipe down the pedals with an all-purpose cleaner (I use a heavily-diluted Bilt Hamber Surfex HD degreaser as an all-purpose cleaner).

Interior Trim
My current favourite product for cleaning the interior trim is AutoBrite Premium Interior Pink Sheen trim dressing. This effortlessly cleans all of the hard surfaces in the cabin, including satnav screens and the instrument binnacle plastics. Just spray on and wipe off.

Interior Glass
I just use Autoglym Fast Glass spray - less is more - just spray on lightly and buff with an MF cloth or polishing cloth.

Leather Seats
I've used LTT leather care products in the past but have been using Dr Leather Advanced Formula Leather Cleaner Spray lately. Spray it onto seats liberally, use a very soft brush or a thick cleaning cloth to agitate it, leave for a couple of minutes and wipe to a matt finish with a clean MF cloth. You can also spray some on to an MF cloth to give the steering wheel leather a good clean, as well as the gear-knob gaiter.

At the end of the interior cleaning, I spray Chemical Guys Black Frost air freshener lightly onto the carpet mats. It's a lovely fragrance - a bit like a musky after shave.

It'd be interesting to see what others use for interior cleaning.
taz777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taz777 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 10:58   #2
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Current routine is usually mats out, dry vac, sort any fabric stains out with Auto Finesse Total, wipe over the leather seats with a damp cloth as they have been protected with GTechniq I1 and considering they are the blond leather they are staying quite tidy because of it, when I deep cleaned the leather when I got it I used Gliptone Liquid Leather and a brush for the heavy cleaning and Dr Leather Wipes to finish. All plastics cleaned with a very very weak APC then dressed with GTechniq C6 Matte Dash and the fabrics in my car have been done with GTechniq I1. Then I stripe the mats and put them back in

Air Freshener wise I have an Auto Finesse Classic Sweet Shop freshener hanging off the rear view.

I only did a full and comprehensive detail on my mini V the other week and it is filthy already!! The joys of 140 miles a day in a black car and a very pale interior with a family and a Dog!!
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 17:42   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I don't know how the local Romanian car wash does it - all I know is I give them £20 and the car comes back spotless inside and out

The even managed to clean the landrover and the horse-box making them sparkly and shiny!
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 17:59   #4
taz777
VOC Member

LOL. Hydrochloric acid and some spit, methinks!
Old Oct 1st, 2016, 12:19   #5
The Thong
VOC Member

I use Autobrite products totally. I'm out most Saturdays cleaning the car, it's almost an obsession now. I use Luxury Suds Wash (this is not an Autobrite advert, honest). I use Elegance detailer followed by a coat of Brilliance to seal the paintwork. I use purple rain alloy cleaner every few weeks to get the metal contamination out and a tyre gloss after. I did gloss coat the car with Hellshine Abyss which really enriched the colour.
Outside the Autobrite stable I like using Turtle Wax products, they're easy to use and do what it says on the tin.
Old Oct 1st, 2016, 20:38   #6
happy diver
Active Member Moment

For sixty quid the local Vietnamese crew presure blast the mats to oblivion
and more firmly weld the cars perspiration and urine fragrance into the cloth
with so many gallons of suffocating floral stench masker, that you are only
able to drive it home with your head in another car.

Fortunately with the addition of mould into the mix, the floral stench masker
dissipates after a couple of weeks leaving a scent of dirt, that thankfully
softens to the taste after a couple of weeks more
returning the now pleasantly familiar previous aromas.

and the exterior and glass look great

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 16:00   #7
purplebargeken
Premier Member

The local hand car wash crew do a reasonable job for a fiver. I then go to work on the car when I get home. I tend to use the Carplan Demon products, especially the Demon Machine Wash and Demon Shine. They do a good job and are well priced.

I also use the Supernatural range of products, Poorboys and Nattys stuff as well.

However, after many years of cleaning cars 9for a hobby) I also use Cif for cleaning interior plastic and vinyl trim and external chrome. Don't snigger as it actually works.
purplebargeken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to purplebargeken For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 18:17   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebargeken View Post
The local hand car wash crew do a reasonable job for a fiver. I then go to work on the car when I get home. I tend to use the Carplan Demon products, especially the Demon Machine Wash and Demon Shine. They do a good job and are well priced.

I also use the Supernatural range of products, Poorboys and Nattys stuff as well.

However, after many years of cleaning cars 9for a hobby) I also use Cif for cleaning interior plastic and vinyl trim and external chrome. Don't snigger as it actually works.
I service medical equipment.... I use Mr Muscle on the stubborn stuff
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 13:53   #9
Bantambuddy
VOC Member

I gave all my interior trim a few coats of 303 aerospace protectant and 12 months later it still only needs a quick dust with the vac and a buff with an mf cloth to bring it back pristine. Carpets were initially treated with diamondbrite sealer so just need vacuuming Leather has Dr Leather wipes for cleaning and Lexol leather conditioner and finally for glass vinegar and a paper towel
XC60 SE Lux Nav Manual D5 AWD Black Sapphire; Polestar; Family Pack; Driver Support Pack; Winter Pack with Active Bending Headlights; Front and Rear Parking Sensors; Privacy Glass; Diamondbrite;20" Wheels
Bantambuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 07:51   #10
taz777
VOC Member

How good are the Dr Leather wipes? I've got the spray cleaner which isn't difficult to use but the wipes could be an interesting product for a quick spruce up of the seats.