Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New EM90

Views : 869

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2023, 18:08   #1
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Default New EM90

Just watched the launch video if you like or what they call the grand opening of the EM90. It isn’t a Volvo, it has china written all over it. There is nothing remotely Volvo about it. It looks just like a Chinese car with a Volvo Badge. The brand and what it stood for in my eyes is very much slipping away

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 19:31   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

As long as it’s got the Volvo safety and dare I say reliability what difference does it make? Looking at the splurge it looks like it first going to be sold in China so that pretty much tells what market it was aimed at. Wonder how much that’s gunna cost? That’s gunna be big money if it ever sees our shores.

TT
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 18:46   #3
baggy798
🤍💙💗

It looks like it's got freckles or a rash. At least it has the boxy ethos of the old ones.

Old Nov 13th, 2023, 21:05   #4
Forg

I dunno, at least it adds some weight to the Good Side.
So much of everything they make is Evil Side (ie. SUV's), so adding something extra that's not Evil is always going to be welcome.

Their choice of niche is odd though, MPV's aren't popular among the great unwashed so everyone who makes one DOESN'T make one but instead builds an even more-oversized SUV instead. And then makes a lot more profit on it. So I'm not sure how far they'll get with a Very Expensive MPV, for comparison the similar-looking Lexus one isn't EV but is gonna cost approximately BMW X5M money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
It looks like it's got freckles or a rash.
It really makes me want to start trying combinations of those little chrome buttons, in case I can uncover the easter egg.
I mean what if pushing the right combo makes it convert into a lovely camper for an overnight beach stay, complete with ensuite & kitchen? Or maybe a swoopy convertible with a manual shift-lever & clutch?!

Last edited by Forg; Nov 13th, 2023 at 21:09.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 22:34   #5
george57l
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
As long as it’s got the Volvo safety and dare I say reliability what difference does it make?
TT
I think I've made a similar reply to you previously ... "Volvo" (= Geely) no longer prioritises safety. If it did it would not make most functions accessible ONLY via a touchscreen and nested menus needing to be navigated, in order to do what muscle memory and simply analogue switchgear can achieve in a fraction of the time and without taking one's eyes from the road.

@GrahamBrown1

"The brand and what it stood for in my eyes is very much slipping away"

Precisely - it is just a marketing "brand" now. None of the established Volvo brand values have survived.

Last edited by george57l; Nov 13th, 2023 at 22:37.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 23:45   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

At first I thought - this has got to be an Asian-market special. But having thought about it.. why not take a chunk of the Merc V-series market? I think it does make sense.. a purely-electric, luxury van, with Swedish safety, design, and materials.

Would I ever buy one? F no.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 09:19   #7
dhr90

It’s going to be a luxury taxi at the end of the day, just like the Lexus. Aimed at 2/3/4 passengers at the want a chauffeur but can’t afford my own personal one ed of the market.

As for us it a Volvo? No, it’s a reskinned rebadged Chinese car. The only thing Volvo about it is the badge itself. Even then the badge isn’t really Volvo anymore, it’s certainly not Swedish and I would argue no longer the safest vehicle manufacturer on the road.

It’s nice to see an MPV though and not another SUV.

But it’s all a moot point as I’ll never be able to afford one anyway.
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 16:04   #8
george57l
George

This guy has an interesting take on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXUEv5QITvo
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 21:08   #9
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george57l View Post
I think I've made a similar reply to you previously ... "Volvo" (= Geely) no longer prioritises safety. If it did it would not make most functions accessible ONLY via a touchscreen and nested menus needing to be navigated, in order to do what muscle memory and simply analogue switchgear can achieve in a fraction of the time and without taking one's eyes from the road.

@GrahamBrown1

"The brand and what it stood for in my eyes is very much slipping away"

Precisely - it is just a marketing "brand" now. None of the established Volvo brand values have survived.
My former P3 V60CC infotainment system wasn’t exactly straight forward for function changes while on the move. That said; the latest Volvo infotainment system isn’t exactly easy to operate while moving either. It’s a bit of a busy screen if anything. In reality, you’re not supposed to bodge with it while moving when you should have your attention on what’s going on around you.
Safety wise, I can see Geeley being stupid enough to compromise safety on a product that’s based on safety of not a name that sets the the safety benchmark.

TT
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 13:25   #10
andy_d
Premier Member

not a hope in hades id buy one of those
ev for a start, Not a volvo not even close,
POS with a huge price tag
and do not get me started on the "itw*t" in the dash nonsense, safety oh hell no, idiot food more like,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: