Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1067648

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2019, 14:29   #12821
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

you guys will love this one - chasing a mystery front end clunk. Decided to tighten up the two subframe bolts (the ones that you access through the opening in the control arm). Tightened the first one a bit and then went to the second one, tightened...wait for it, cracked it. Awesome. Wow, what an idiot.

...thinking it may just be simplest to get my local exhaust guy to spot weld the engine cradle to the frame in such a way that ensures the next person can grind off the welds if need be. Drilling out that broken bolt would be a pig of a job. I can't be the only sucker who has done this...anyone?

Oh...as with Baldmosher I too am getting ready to sell my V40. Just not suiting any of our needs anymore.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 17:35   #12822
aldred309uk

Just given the old girl some new oil, filter and air filter at 199,840. Reset the service interval. Should hit the magical 200,000 this weekend coming up. Replaced the screenwash level sensor as I've never seen the dashboard without the light on. Replaced a smashed front foglight which was an absolute **** which required one of the screws drilling off, a plastic grommet snapped and only just got the other screw off. Finally sorted out a sagging rear mud flap too. All 4 nice and tidy again now. Slightly worried by the volume of oil sat at the bottom of the engine where the engine meets the bell housing which has me worried of a main seal issue but the clutch is perfectly fine. Time will tell I suppose.
Old May 14th, 2019, 18:33   #12823
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
Just given the old girl some new oil, filter and air filter at 199,840. Reset the service interval. Should hit the magical 200,000 this weekend coming up. Replaced the screenwash level sensor as I've never seen the dashboard without the light on. Replaced a smashed front foglight which was an absolute **** which required one of the screws drilling off, a plastic grommet snapped and only just got the other screw off. Finally sorted out a sagging rear mud flap too. All 4 nice and tidy again now. Slightly worried by the volume of oil sat at the bottom of the engine where the engine meets the bell housing which has me worried of a main seal issue but the clutch is perfectly fine. Time will tell I suppose.
Almost a carbon copy of my car, I did the oil at the weekend, I have a bust screen wash sensor so the light is permanently on and I've got a smashed foglight.
Old May 14th, 2019, 21:22   #12824
aldred309uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Almost a carbon copy of my car, I did the oil at the weekend, I have a bust screen wash sensor so the light is permanently on and I've got a smashed foglight.
The light went out on my dash when I disconnected the plug from the sensor, if you can't be bothered to find and fit a new one...
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:03   #12825
canis
Non Fragile

Well all these years I lusted after roof bars. I've been carrying an old bedsted around with me everywhere for the last ten years or so. I know it looks crap, but the utility is extraordinary. And if I'm gonna lug a spare wheel which i've never used, a bedsted which I DO use isn't really a problem. And it's so versatile! There's nothing I can't tie to it.

I now, finally, have roof bars. Nice flashy roof bars, smart and sleek and streamlined, they look stunning.

Yesterday I tried to actually tie something to them. Absolutely hopeless! There are no anchorages at all! There's absolutely nothing to prevent forwards and backwards movement, nothing to tie to. If there was a post in the middle it'd be something, but the V40 bars don't have a post. There's just no way to do it!

I did not feel comfortable driving that way. Those bitches are coming off, i'm going back to my bedsted again!

Form over function, as always. Utterly useless. Whoever thought up these things obviously never carried anything on their roof. All style and no practical use whatsoever.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 22:44   #12826
aldred309uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Well all these years I lusted after roof bars. I've been carrying an old bedsted around with me everywhere for the last ten years or so. I know it looks crap, but the utility is extraordinary. And if I'm gonna lug a spare wheel which i've never used, a bedsted which I DO use isn't really a problem. And it's so versatile! There's nothing I can't tie to it.

I now, finally, have roof bars. Nice flashy roof bars, smart and sleek and streamlined, they look stunning.

Yesterday I tried to actually tie something to them. Absolutely hopeless! There are no anchorages at all! There's absolutely nothing to prevent forwards and backwards movement, nothing to tie to. If there was a post in the middle it'd be something, but the V40 bars don't have a post. There's just no way to do it!

I did not feel comfortable driving that way. Those bitches are coming off, i'm going back to my bedsted again!

Form over function, as always. Utterly useless. Whoever thought up these things obviously never carried anything on their roof. All style and no practical use whatsoever.
Whenever carrying anything on the roof of mine I've always strapped things down to the roof rails and not the roof bars. I'm pretty handy with ratchet straps and never had anything come loose let alone anything worse. Got good quality straps too!
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:26   #12827
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

The idea of rails is that you can attach traverse bars to them in a jiffy.

I have a set for sale for £30 if you want them, but I'm intending to just keep them for the next car with rails.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 12:43   #12828
clarkey1984
Premier Member

All very mundane for me, did the oil the other week as they were selling 2l of 5/30 magnatec for £6 in Tesco, already had a litre of oil left over from the t4 I never used so 2 of those from Tesco was all good, and did the spark plugs yesterday, they'd only done about 10k but saw the genuine Volvo 272207s on eBay for 12 quid as they were incorrectly listed for the 1.6 only so nabbed those, existing plugs were worryingly loose so have these ones a little extra nip when fitting them, there was also a large amount of oil under the engine cover around the coil packs and leads so dosed that all with contact cleaner and kitchen roll until it was all gone, car seems a little nippier now with the Volvo plugs in as opposed to the Bosch ones.
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 18:00   #12829
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Well I've given up: My rear end sits 620mm from the ground to the wheel arch. OK when empty but saggs like fruck when anything put in the back. Ive put many sets of shocks n springs off various cars to perch it up. No good, even worse at times.
There I was perusing the scrap yard and lo and behold an English registered scrapper AND the rear height was 650mm BINGO! I'll have them senor!
Whipped one off my car (well practised at it) and set it down, rolled car back and forth....620mm! FFS!
I can only think the LPG tank and all it's crap weighs the car down....
I give up!
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 12:01   #12830
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Sold it. 😫

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage