Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Parking.

Views : 471

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2019, 10:40   #1
KCS

Default Amazon Parking.

Considering an Amazon for fine weather use. Will also be used over the winter, albeit on a few days when roads are dry. Hence the car would not get laid up for anymore than 2 to 3 weeks at the longest.
Garaging is not an option, so I am left with a choice of an outdoor car cover or erecting a car port.
I am leaning towards a car port.
Are these cars strong enough to withstand the moist air during winter months, if left under a carport ?
KCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2019, 16:58   #2
Splinelube

When in grad school in Chicago my 66 Amazon never saw any cover and was my only drive until 1982 albeit with some rust repair, A lot of road salt in Chicago in winter.
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2019, 17:53   #3
amazon69
Premier Member

Fret ye not. They are robust enough for most anything. I leave mine outside everyday, have done for 15 years, drive it everyday, have done for 15 years, and I live next to the sea. Which apparently has salt in. No car port, cover, and hardly ever washed.
Old May 9th, 2019, 20:58   #4
Faust
Master Member

My Amazon lives outside... I use a breathable car cover if torrential rain is forecast for days on end, but I rarely bother as I reckon a car is better when exposed to the elements - moisture trapped against your car is never good.

As long as you don't have any leaks into the interior, an Amazon will be fine outside (I get the odd drip but nothing too bad as the water sits on to of the rubber mats).

Good coat of wax a couple of times a year will also help, and wash salt and muck off the underside every so often on the winter.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 23:57   #5
grantbennett2

Mine has been standing outside for its whole life and is fine. One of the few classic cars that don't rot in front of your eyes
grantbennett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:46   #6
Army
marches on his stomach

If you have the opportunity to build a car port I'd certainly do that - a decent car port is in my opinion preferable to a garage for a car that gets regular use. Putting wet cars into small poorly ventilated boxes isn't a smart move...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:54   #7
KCS

These are the confidence inspiring feedbacks I was really hoping to hear. Thanks all.
KCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 12:23   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would 100% go for the car port over a cover. Covers can trap moisture and cause scrathcing to the paint
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: