Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery starting problems

Views : 739

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 13:41   #1
Ian M

Default Battery starting problems

Hi
Got a problem that has not happened before. This morning I started my 91 940 turbo b200ft and drove about half a mile before stopping to pick someone up. When I tried to restart the car it turned over real slow then the battery was flat. I have recharged the battery but now need to know if its a battery fault an alternator fault or the driving I have been doing in the past week.

I have for the past week been starting the car turning on the blower to full and the heated rear screen and driving aprox 1.5 miles before parking for the day. return trip same distance but minus rear screen heater. Could this have drained the battery taking more out for the start than getting back from the run.
I went out and got a multi meter today and the voltage across the battery is 12.6v with the ignition off. 13.8v with the engine running are these readings ok ?

Any help would be apreciated.

Addition . Charged the battery for 3 hours . Car started to give me readings just tried to start it again and its back to how it was turning over slow and not starting. If that helps . now am thinking battery has problem

Last edited by Ian M; Apr 9th, 2006 at 13:57.
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 17:01   #2
octo0072000

Talking battery

I would change the battery check the fan belts 13.8 shows it.s charging but short runs will also kill it too takes about 12 miles to put back in to battery what you take out starting it stupid question you have checked its topped up or is it a sealed for life one ?

octo0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 17:18   #3
Ian M

I knew it would take a certain distance to put back what starting takes out of the battery but did not think it would be 12 miles. The car usually covers 3 miles on the trip to school then stops restarts and gets a 3 mile trip home. Battery dosent stand a chance by the sound of it.
I did check It was topped up when I charged it earlier today. Looks like its a trip out for a new one tomorow.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 15:54   #4
octo0072000

Talking Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M
I knew it would take a certain distance to put back what starting takes out of the battery but did not think it would be 12 miles. The car usually covers 3 miles on the trip to school then stops restarts and gets a 3 mile trip home. Battery dosent stand a chance by the sound of it.
I did check It was topped up when I charged it earlier today. Looks like its a trip out for a new one tomorow.

Hi get the biggest amperage battery that will fit not just a normal one if all you are doing is short runs remember volvo has headlamps on daytime as well as heated screen heater wipers with all the electics on it only just keeps up charging try running yours with all electics on and see that voltage you get i think you need min of 12.8 13.2 volts to keep it healthy if less than 12volts with all on you might need alternater checking or higher output one or disable running lights all the best

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 18:36   #5
Ian M

Got a new battery delivered this morning a bosch heavy duty one. I tried the voltage with all the lights on and the heated screen it stayed at around 13.2v. I hope that it was just a duff battery all seems ok for the moment.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 23:33   #6
octo0072000

Talking battery

Hi just found this for you on volvo forum it gives the voltages better this is to do with alternator failing but does give good test metod

I agree - I had a similar thing years ago. What happened was the alternator packed up, and so was no longer charging the battery properly. First symptoms were occasional failure to start, which I put down to starter motor going home. Then on the way home the automatic ECU warning light came on (due to low battery voltage). In the end needed a new alternator AND a new battery as the battery was unable to "recover".

Check charging cct as follows: measure battery voltage under following circumstances:
1) engine not running, when engine cold
2) engine not running, just after a run
3) engine idling
4) engine idling and all lights, rear screen heater, fan all on
5) engine revving / fast idle with no electric loading

If 1) is below about 11.5V you need to charge battery and might need a new one. If 2) below about 12V same story. For 3), voltage should be between about 13.5 and 14.5V, if lower than that then alternator not charging. If higher than that, regulator fault. For 4) the voltage shouldn't drop much from 3), maybe only to 13V. If lower than that, alternator not charging battery properly is likely. For 5) If the voltage increases with engine speed above 14.5V then the voltage regulator is knackered.

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 03:27   #7
adamsky01
back for now

Default might sound stupid but read and dont dismis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
Hi
Got a problem that has not happened before. This morning I started my 91 940 turbo b200ft and drove about half a mile before stopping to pick someone up. When I tried to restart the car it turned over real slow then the battery was flat. I have recharged the battery but now need to know if its a battery fault an alternator fault or the driving I have been doing in the past week.

I have for the past week been starting the car turning on the blower to full and the heated rear screen and driving aprox 1.5 miles before parking for the day. return trip same distance but minus rear screen heater. Could this have drained the battery taking more out for the start than getting back from the run.
I went out and got a multi meter today and the voltage across the battery is 12.6v with the ignition off. 13.8v with the engine running are these readings ok ?

Any help would be apreciated.

Addition . Charged the battery for 3 hours . Car started to give me readings just tried to start it again and its back to how it was turning over slow and not starting. If that helps . now am thinking battery has problem

i have the same problem i just found out tonight from a friend in texas who had the same rpoblem that it is to do with the Volvo Voltage Regulator
u can easily get one from volvo for no more than 10 pound he reconds so i am going to try and replace mine on tusday will let u all no what hapens other thing to do is go to the scap yard look for a 440 with a volt m in the center console and fit above the driver side door were the handles are and wire it to ur lights as he has done he said that it vibrates back and foward at idle and it should not he then replace the Volvo Voltage Regulator and this has now cured the prolem. hell i wont no untill tuesday when i replace mine if does work i will let u no
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote